+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Enter Canada with a non-Canadian passport & a Canadian citizenship certificate?

good2011

Jan 5, 2015
AmandaHsu said:
if you have decided to come back with your original country's passport, then I suggest you that do not show your Canada citizen card to the airplane company when you check in, maybe do not even let them know. One of my friend's friend, was in a similar situation as you are now. So he bought the ticket, and then show his citizen card during check in. (we're from a visa exempt country but the workers will still ask some questions, to be sure the passenger will not have big issue when they arrive Canada). Later, the airplane company refused the friend to board because "they have got the official announcement from Canada that airplane companies should be sure that all passengers have eligible documents to entry Canada before offering the boarding pass, otherwise, the company will be punished. Under the list, it shows that Canadian cannot go back by citizen card." So, that friend was unable to board, and he called the embassy because he "thought" that rule is not right. He even wrote complain mail to CBSA but the only answer was "apply the passport."

I personally suggest you to apply passport, instead of having so many headaches. Sorry about my writing, hope it will not confuse you, good luck.
Thanks for sharing! Sounds really risky! In the friend's case, the passport is supposed to be the "eligible documents" to entry Canada (I know some airline employees are very confused that which countries are visa-exempt, they need to be well trained!!!). However, if the airline doesn't bite in, he got nothing to do....That's why cic says "Canadian citizens returning to Canada who present documents, such as a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, birth certificate, provincial driver's license, or foreign passport, instead of a Canadian passport may face delays or be denied boarding by transport companies."

In my case, there is an immigrant visa on my passport, if they ask to see my PR card (as what I used to be asked), I will have no choice but show them my citizenship certificate....(or maybe plus medicare card and driver's license)

I think I need to reconsider what to do..... :-[

good2011

Jan 5, 2015
AmandaHsu said:
if you have decided to come back with your original country's passport, then I suggest you that do not show your Canada citizen card to the airplane company when you check in, maybe do not even let them know. One of my friend's friend, was in a similar situation as you are now. So he bought the ticket, and then show his citizen card during check in. (we're from a visa exempt country but the workers will still ask some questions, to be sure the passenger will not have big issue when they arrive Canada). Later, the airplane company refused the friend to board because "they have got the official announcement from Canada that airplane companies should be sure that all passengers have eligible documents to entry Canada before offering the boarding pass, otherwise, the company will be punished. Under the list, it shows that Canadian cannot go back by citizen card." So, that friend was unable to board, and he called the embassy because he "thought" that rule is not right. He even wrote complain mail to CBSA but the only answer was "apply the passport."

I personally suggest you to apply passport, instead of having so many headaches. Sorry about my writing, hope it will not confuse you, good luck.
Hi Amanda,

May I ask where the friend took the flight? And what did he do after being denied to board? thx!

AmandaHsu

Jan 10, 2011
Nanaimo
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/Nov/2010
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
20/Dec/2010
File Transfer...
None
Med's Done....
10/Aug/2010
LANDED..........
02/Apr/2012
good2011 said:
Hi Amanda,

May I ask where the friend took the flight? And what did he do after being denied to board? thx!
Sure. He took the flight at Taiwan, where we have the visa exempt, and he was using Taiwanese passport with Canada citizen card at that time. After being denied, he called the Canada embassy and wrote mail to CBSA to complain it. To cut a long story short, after all the mails and calls, the only answer from official is that he has to get a passport. Therefore, he applied the passport which took him 20 business days.

After all this, we were actually wondering, what if he just went to book another flight ticket from another airplane company without showing any citizenship paper instead of applying passport. Would he be able to board? Just a guess, and that's why I offered the suggestion before.

good2011

Jan 5, 2015
AmandaHsu said:
Sure. He took the flight at Taiwan, where we have the visa exempt, and he was using Taiwanese passport with Canada citizen card at that time. After being denied, he called the Canada embassy and wrote mail to CBSA to complain it. To cut a long story short, after all the mails and calls, the only answer from official is that he has to get a passport. Therefore, he applied the passport which took him 20 business days.

After all this, we were actually wondering, what if he just went to book another flight ticket from another airplane company without showing any citizenship paper instead of applying passport. Would he be able to board? Just a guess, and that's why I offered the suggestion before.
Thanks! He took the flight from Taiwan with his Taiwanese passport and the airline company denied him to board? The company is ridiculous! Canada allows citizens to have dual citizenship, which means his Taiwanese passport is valid and visa-exempt to Canada. If he had only a citizen card but any passport, he would not have "eligible documents." I thought it happened in other country instead of his original country. Cannot believe it....... :eek:

AmandaHsu

Jan 10, 2011
Nanaimo
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/Nov/2010
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
20/Dec/2010
File Transfer...
None
Med's Done....
10/Aug/2010
LANDED..........
02/Apr/2012
good2011 said:
Thanks! He took the flight from Taiwan with his Taiwanese passport and the airline company denied him to board? The company is ridiculous! Canada allows citizens to have dual citizenship, which means his Taiwanese passport is valid and visa-exempt to Canada. If he had only a citizen card but any passport, he would not have "eligible documents." I thought it happened in other country instead of his original country. Cannot believe it....... :eek:
I understand what you meant and that was why that friend was so angry. However, the reason he was denied because "he used Taiwanese passport with Canadian citizenship card together". The card is the main issue because what CBSA did say that Canadian citizenship card is not a travel document. People who want to use the "visa exempt", usually have a return ticket to be sure they will not overstay. This friend didn't have a return ticket because he thinks he will not have problem to entry Canada by the citizenship card. However, no one can guarantee that part, right? I have to say, the company was just doing their work.

itguy78

Star Member
Dec 1, 2014
Windsor, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AmandaHsu said:
I understand what you meant and that was why that friend was so angry. However, the reason he was denied because "he used Taiwanese passport with Canadian citizenship card together". The card is the main issue because what CBSA did say that Canadian citizenship card is not a travel document. People who want to use the "visa exempt", usually have a return ticket to be sure they will not overstay. This friend didn't have a return ticket because he thinks he will not have problem to entry Canada by the citizenship card. However, no one can guarantee that part, right? I have to say, the company was just doing their work.
Now that makes perfect sense to me (even though I still find it ridiculous) -- the airline didn't consider his Citizenship card because it is not a "travel documment" (they were right on that), and they also did not allow the person to board with a visa exempt passport in the account that the person did not have a return ticket to the country of the passport. This is exactly how they are told to do it. If the person had bought a fully refundable (reads EXPENSIVE) roundtrip ticket to Canada and back they would certainly have allowed boarding. Then once in Canada the person could request refund for the remainder of the flight (keep in mind airline rules may vary on refunds). Airlines just want to cover their a$$ so you don't cost them any extra.

Natan

May 22, 2015
It is my experience that round trip tickets between North America and Asia are cheaper than a single one way ticket. My recommendation is to purchase a round trip ticket and not use the return portion of the ticket.

good2011

Jan 5, 2015
itguy78 said:
Now that makes perfect sense to me (even though I still find it ridiculous) -- the airline didn't consider his Citizenship card because it is not a "travel documment" (they were right on that), and they also did not allow the person to board with a visa exempt passport in the account that the person did not have a return ticket to the country of the passport. This is exactly how they are told to do it. If the person had bought a fully refundable (reads EXPENSIVE) roundtrip ticket to Canada and back they would certainly have allowed boarding. Then once in Canada the person could request refund for the remainder of the flight (keep in mind airline rules may vary on refunds). Airlines just want to cover their a$$ so you don't cost them any extra.
I used to use my original passport and an one way ticket to return Canada and be asked frequently to show PR card by the airline company. PR card is not a travel document but they still asked to see it to make sure I can stay in Canada legally. So what if I show the citizenship certificate instead of PR card when they ask? Which shows not only I can stay in Canada legally but also have right to vote!

The country allows and has almost 800 thousands citizens with dual nationality. However, the person who is a permanent resident with a visa exempt passport is allowed to board, but the person who is a citizen with a visa exempt passport is not allowed to board. This is really inconsistent and ridiculous. ::)

longwaitwithrq

Star Member
May 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
good2011 said:
I used to use my original passport and an one way ticket to return Canada and be asked frequently to show PR card by the airline company. PR card is not a travel document but they still asked to see it to make sure I can stay in Canada legally. So what if I show the citizenship certificate instead of PR card when they ask? Which shows not only I can stay in Canada legally but also have right to vote!

The country allows and has almost 800 thousands citizens with dual nationality. However, the person who is a permanent resident with a visa exempt passport is allowed to board, but the person who is a citizen with a visa exempt passport is not allowed to board. This is really inconsistent and ridiculous. ::)
If you have a citizenship certificate and are outside canada why would you not apply for a passport at the nearest embassy in whichever country you are in !

AmandaHsu

Jan 10, 2011
Nanaimo
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/Nov/2010
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
20/Dec/2010
File Transfer...
None
Med's Done....
10/Aug/2010
LANDED..........
02/Apr/2012
good2011 said:

PR card is not a travel document but it is something that PR has to have when they enter Canada because PR does not have Canadian passport yet. Every airplane company asks for PR card because that's what they have been told/asked from Canada. But Canada citizenship card/certificate is not on the list because the government remind citizen to get the passport ready before travelling, which you can find the information from CIC. All embassy worldwide also help on applying passport.

To allow dual nationality is different story with visa exempt. Visa-exempt is just saving the time and money on applying a visitor visa. Also, people who use the visa exempt, only because they're not PR or citizen yet. Why does a Canadian need to use visa exempt to enter his/her own country? Anyway, that's all, good luck.

good2011

Jan 5, 2015
AmandaHsu said:
PR card is not a travel document but it is something that PR has to have when they enter Canada because PR does not have Canadian passport yet. Every airplane company asks for PR card because that's what they have been told/asked from Canada. But Canada citizenship card/certificate is not on the list because the government remind citizen to get the passport ready before travelling, which you can find the information from CIC. All embassy worldwide also help on applying passport.

To allow dual nationality is different story with visa exempt. Visa-exempt is just saving the time and money on applying a visitor visa. Also, people who use the visa exempt, only because they're not PR or citizen yet. Why does a Canadian need to use visa exempt to enter his/her own country? Anyway, that's all, good luck.
I think you mix up the different sides between the airline companies and the Canada Immigration. The airline companies have no rights to judge if a person is allowed to enter Canada or not. All they have to do is to make sure the person has eligible documents before boarding. The eligible documents refer to a valid passport and a valid visa(visitor, study permit, work permit...), and plus a valid identity that proves his legal status in Canada if he doesn't hold any visa or holds a passport from a visa exempt country. Then the question will be which document can prove if a person is a permanent resident/citizen ?

The reason I mention about dual nationality is, for some countries, like China, only sole nationality is allowed for their citizens. Once their citizens become Canadian citizens, their original passports will be invalid immediately. If dual nationality is allowed for both countries, then both passports are valid. And in our constitution, it says "Canadian citizens have Rights to apply for Canadian passports" but doesn't say "Canada citizens have Obligations/Responsibilities to apply for Canadian passports."

CIC website doesn't say "Canadian citizens must/can only return to Canada with their Canadian passports." Even in their website they mention about entry into Canada from the USA:
"Though the preferred travel document for all travellers is a passport, please note that Canadian citizens may enter Canada by personal motor vehicle with proof of Canadian citizenship (Canadian birth certificate or Canadian citizenship certificate) plus a valid government-issued photo ID (ex. state or provincial driver's license)."
http://can-am.gc.ca/consular_services_consulaires/border-frontiere.aspx?lang=eng

But CIC website still says "Canadian citizens returning to Canada who present documents, such as a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship, birth certificate, provincial driver's license, or foreign passport, instead of a Canadian passport may face delays or be denied boarding by transport companies."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/help/travel.asp#general

Maybe they realize that sometimes the airline companies think themselves as the Canada Immigration for avoiding punishment caused by repatriates.

I know it is risky for a Canadian citizen to travel with a foreign passport and better to avoid. But sometimes it happens, like the person I mentioned, he had a trip on the day after his oath ceremony. He had no choice but traveled with his original passport and had no chance to apply for a Canadian passport from the embassy during his mobile trip. If we don't discuss and find out the right thing, we are looking at our rights to be violated.

good2011

Jan 5, 2015
Hi all,

Just read a real story in the similar situation and would like to share with those who are interested in this subject.

The family were refused to board by Air Canada while their returning Canada from Florida with their foreign passports although they have called the Canada Border Services Agency before they left for Florida and were told it’d be totally fine. Finally they flight to a border-closed city and rented a car to drive back to Canada. And Air Canada said it would get in touch with the family and refund their unused tickets.

http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/08/04/dual_citizens_carrying_foreign_passport_turned_away_at_florida_airport.html

troll2

Star Member
Jun 9, 2015
good2011 said:
Hi all,

Just read a real story in the similar situation and would like to share with those who are interested in this subject.

The family were refused to board by Air Canada while their returning Canada from Florida with their foreign passports although they have called the Canada Border Services Agency before they left for Florida and were told it'd be totally fine. Finally they flight to a border-closed city and rented a car to drive back to Canada. And Air Canada said it would get in touch with the family and refund their unused tickets.

http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/08/04/dual_citizens_carrying_foreign_passport_turned_away_at_florida_airport.html
It's not the same situation. Egyptian passport holders must have valid Canadian visa in order to board the plane from anywhere in the world. Without visa or PR card is not consider as a valid travel document to Canada.
Something they forgot to mention when they call to ask CBSA. If they would say that we are Egyptian the answer would be different.

annoying001

Jun 21, 2015
You cannot travel back to Canada on any commercial transports i.e. flights and ferries. The operator will not let you board if you don't have a valid travel document and visa.
You will be fine to cross land border in non-commercial vehicle i.e. your own car by using citizenship certificate. This has been tried by my family (someone went to the US for shopping shortly after his oath, he was waiting for his new passport)

good2011

Jan 5, 2015
troll2 said:
It's not the same situation. Egyptian passport holders must have valid Canadian visa in order to board the plane from anywhere in the world. Without visa or PR card is not consider as a valid travel document to Canada.
Something they forgot to mention when they call to ask CBSA. If they would say that we are Egyptian the answer would be different.
They may tell CBSA they hold Egyptian passport or not. We don't know because it doesn't mention in the article. In this case, if it is as simple as "Egyptian passport holders must have valid Canadian visa in order to board the plane from anywhere in the world. Without visa or PR card is not consider as a valid travel document to Canada," why eventually Air Canada said it would get in touch with the family and refund their unused tickets?