+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Email from CIC that PR card renewal needs secondary review

Ramik

Star Member
Aug 23, 2016
So Ramik, are you saying it moved from PRC Sydney (SR Team) --> Hamilton --> Windsor ? Also, what did your previous update say ?
Hi Vop, yes that is exactly what happened. From Sydney to Hamilton (the local office) for Secondary review and then from Hamilton to Windsor due to Workload re-distribution. The last update said something along the lines of waiting in triage queue. When did you apply for PR renewal?

To all, there is NO guarantee that your specific application for PR card renewal will take exactly 17 or 18 month or even 24 month (the estimate is from the date of application received) no one knows. It depends on many factors. What I am simply stating is plotting where we stand in queue and from what I see is that the majority of applications on here have taken around 18 months to be completed. Again this is not a promise, its more of a guidance on what to expect

vop

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Ramik said:
Hi Vop, yes that is exactly what happened. From Sydney to Hamilton (the local office) for Secondary review and then from Hamilton to Windsor due to Workload re-distribution. The last update said something along the lines of waiting in triage queue. When did you apply for PR renewal?

To all, there is NO guarantee that your specific application for PR card renewal will take exactly 17 or 18 month or even 24 month (the estimate is from the date of application received) no one knows. It depends on many factors. What I am simply stating is plotting where we stand in queue and from what I see is that the majority of applications on here have taken around 18 months to be completed. Again this is not a promise, its more of a guidance on what to expect
Thank you Ramik. I applied in Sep 2015 and got SR letter in Feb 2016. My file showed waiting for Team Review Sydney PRC. This was what was written on Feb 2016 when it was sent for secondary review. Since then, as of Sep 14, 2016, I didnt see any updates.

Also, @dpenabill, none of us are taking discussions on this thread about possible timelines/reasons beyond face value. We're just trying to see if anyone's file is moving and maybe its related/maybe its not but its difficult for those of us who are waiting for a long time to figure out what is going on with our files. And its more of an fyi to others to at least see if they need to either order case notes, contact CIC etc.

Chrome

Star Member
Oct 21, 2016
Hello everyone,

Congratulations for those who received their PR cards.

I applied on Nov 2, 2015 and my file has been referred for a secondary review on March 1, 2016.

It's been assigned to RC-9514.

I guess they are working now on files referred for a secondary in Nov/Dec 2015.

Let's wait and see.

Ramik

Star Member
Aug 23, 2016
Hi Chrome, I have a very similar timeline like yours. I applied on Nov 9th and file was sent to secondary on March 3, 2016

July 2015: Rbar14
August 2015: Osama912, Harshalp, gauri.gupta08
September 2015: vop
Nov. 2015: Chrome, Ramik
Feb 2016: decent guy 3

The last update from heeradeepak who was a June 2015 applicant that he got his PR card processed at the beginning of November.

Again, this is not a commitment to anyone that they will get their cards according to what I am posting. Its just an estimation. Good Luck!

Chrome

Star Member
Oct 21, 2016
Hi Ramik,
Yes, our timelines are very similar.
I think the date of the referral for a secondary review is more relevant than the application date. Heeradepak, who is the last one to receive his PR card, was referred for a secondary review in Nov 2015. Now, starting from Dec 2015, here is the queue sorted by the secondary review date:

Dec 2015: tomymiz, Mrmr, rbrar14
Jan 2016: Osama912, bahaar, harshalp, KITG, KITJ
Feb 2016: vop
Mar 2016: Chrome, Ramik, Brenttristan
Apr 2016: decent guy 3
May 2016: MatQue

Best of luck for everyone!

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
Chrome said:
Hi Ramik,
Yes, our timelines are very similar.
I think the date of the referral for a secondary review is more relevant than the application date. Heeradepak, who is the last one to receive his PR card, was referred for a secondary review in Nov 2015. Now, starting from Dec 2015, here is the queue sorted by the secondary review date:

Dec 2015: tomymiz, Mrmr, rbrar14
Jan 2016: Osama912, bahaar, harshalp, KITG, KITJ
Feb 2016: vop
Mar 2016: Chrome, Ramik, Brenttristan
Apr 2016: decent guy 3
May 2016: MatQue

Best of luck for everyone!
God knows what is guidelines for secondary review. MY believe is that purposely CIC is creating panic in applicants.

rbrar14

Star Member
Jul 21, 2016
approx. 45 days is normal processing. I know that has no connection to SR applicants. But, the end result is a PR card that is renewed. What makes me very frustrated is the time frame. Like seriously canada ??? 18 months vs 45 days ? Thats like cruel punishment.
How do you claim that 1.5 months vs 12 months is any fair to Regualrs PRS vs SR PR's ?
That is a brutal system. Specially for the buddy with 2 years of wait ? That is just so pathetic. I cant believe this is 2016 with all technology and resources they have, they still takin years to process cards. Seriously, this will get out hands soon if they dont change their system of working the pr cards out.

Ramik

Star Member
Aug 23, 2016
I was just looking at the first couple of pages of this thread. The guy who created this thread got his PR after applying and going into secondary in just 7 months! and that was exactly 2 years ago...in 2014. How things have changed in the last couple of years!

pk10

Star Member
May 29, 2010
There has been a constant drop in PR renewal times.

I remember when I first looked a few months ago it was around 100+ days.

Then about 2 odd months ago it was 66 -> 60 -> 45 and now just 34 days.

Perhaps you guys who are trapped in the secondary review process can be hopeful that if the wait time reduces further they might start clearing the backlog of secondary reviews faster.

Not sure if anyone else has been following the renewal times - but to my mind this is the fastest duration I have seen for renewal cases (34 days).

AJK_9

Jun 30, 2012
pk10 said:
There has been a constant drop in PR renewal times.

I remember when I first looked a few months ago it was around 100+ days.

Then about 2 odd months ago it was 66 -> 60 -> 45 and now just 34 days.

Perhaps you guys who are trapped in the secondary review process can be hopeful that if the wait time reduces further they might start clearing the backlog of secondary reviews faster.

Not sure if anyone else has been following the renewal times - but to my mind this is the fastest duration I have seen for renewal cases (34 days).
It's FAKE timeline....you can check/ask members that any one got card within 30-45 days ?!?1?

Also you can ask to Secondary Review members..

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
AJK_9 said:
It's FAKE timeline....you can check/ask members that any one got card within 30-45 days ?!?1?

Also you can ask to Secondary Review members..
How can that be fake? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp

There are probably thousands of permanent residents renewing their card without waiting for years or months. And those few who do and complain, are on this board.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Even though the Vancouver Sun article about PR card application processing times is more than six months old, it is one of the better media reports about issues like this. Thus, reference to this Vancouver Sun article is indeed a good source of information. Thanks for the reminder vop.

In particular, it is a reminder that the increased presence requirements for Canadian citizenship undoubtedly led to a much larger number of PRs needing to renew their PR cards (definitely in the tens of thousands, perhaps as many as two hundred thousand or even more), and thus contributed significantly to the length of delays in processing.

Unfortunately for those referred to SR, priorities in the allocation of resources were probably to handle the routine applications, leaving SR cases to wallow.

The particular individual who is the primary subject of the article falls into the SR group. At the time of the article, her PR card application had been in process for nearly two years. In addition to being an H&C case, which alone tends to take longer to process, her PR had conditions applicable to investor class PR, and it appears she has traveled abroad while the application was pending. Her time abroad also appears to have been spent in Sri Lanka, which is one of those parts of the world which, it appears, tends to invite more scrutiny leading to longer processing times. All of this illustrates particular factual circumstances which are likely causes for how long the processing has taken for her in particular, and thus illustrates how individual cases vary generally.

Temporary status documents:

Note, I agree with the lawyer's observation (in the Vancouver Sun article) that IRCC should implement issuing temporary status documents for those PRs in this situation. The probable reason why this has not been done is cost and the inertia which infects almost all bureaucracies, and perhaps some reliance (by IRCC) on justifications rooted in thinking the problem is relatively temporary (due to confluence of circumstances leading to backlog in PR card application processing), and regarding SR cases in particular, only affects a relatively small number of PRs, too small to warrant the expense of adding an essentially new process to include a new form of a status document. The lawyer suggests this could be a "letter," but a letter alone is not likely to work for most of the reasons a PR card is ordinarily needed, such as to establish qualification for health care or to travel back to Canada from abroad.

Note: There is a process for issuing PR cards with one-year validity for PRs appealing the denial of a PR TD.

My suggestion would be that IRCC consider expanding that to include PRs referred to SR so long as SR cases are taking a year or longer to process.

From the PR stuck in SR side of this, as I have noted before, many might benefit from going abroad and applying for a PR TD . . . which could accelerate the SR process or at the least trigger a denial which, in turn, would allow the PR to appeal and obtain the one-year PR card. Of course this is only feasible for some PRs stuck in SR, recognizing that for many it isn't a viable option and for more than a few this is not likely to resolve the issues underlying the SR. Those with H&C cases, in particular, should avoid the risks of leaving Canada at all pending the outcome. For some, travel abroad without guaranteed means of returning to Canada is too risky. These are among other circumstances in which the PR is essentially stuck until the PR card application process is finished.

vop said:
Also, @dpenabill, none of us are taking discussions on this thread about possible timelines/reasons beyond face value. We're just trying to see if anyone's file is moving and maybe its related/maybe its not but its difficult for those of us who are waiting for a long time to figure out what is going on with our files. And its more of an fyi to others to at least see if they need to either order case notes, contact CIC etc.
While you are probably speaking for a number of those who participate in this (and other related) topics, there is nonetheless also a salient thread in the discussion here which tends to address the SR issue as if all SRs are created equal and in that are equally unwarranted and abusive.

Thus, for example, there are observations by Ramik which are more or less consistent with your perspective, one which recognizes the vagaries of non-routine processing generally and the variables in SR processing in particular. And thus recognizes that reports about timelines offer some rough idea about how long the process is taking for some, while nonetheless otherwise recognizing that there is no fixed timeline for SR processing, no queue as such, and thus for any particular individual stuck in SR processing, the timeline can vary extensively, and for sure there is no guarantee.

In contrast, there is more than an occasional post in this topic characterizing SR as an arbitrary imposition which is not driven by fact-based criteria, but rather is about "either incompetent or lazy" IRCC personnel, and that SR cases are essentially all on a similar track through the system. None of which is accurate. There are some here who state that the processing times posted by IRCC are "fake." That is, while there is a lot of good discussion and genuine observations posted in this topic, there is also plenty of misleading or outright misinformation.

When a relative new-comer to the SR issue comes into the discussion and poses a question like gauri.gupta08 did,
"Is the 17 month time frame from the date of application received OR from 'we sent you correspondence...'?"
it warrants a reminder no particular time frame applies, let alone a 17 month time frame, let alone one based on any particular date, such as the date the application was received, or the date of other communication in the process; it warrants a reminder that SR cases are very individual.

This topic is the highest profile topic about being referred to SR (and is often linked when SR related queries are posed in other topics). Those who only recently have been notified of a SR referral deserve to know that actually some SR cases are resolved in relatively short order (some reports suggest barely a couple months or so longer than routine processing), while others can take a very long time. Median timelines offer little more than some sense of how long it takes for many.

tonymiz said:
Why would there be inquiries overseas or to CSIS, this is PR card renewal!! We live in this country and they can trigger security check if they want to whenever they want, but this should not stop us from getting a new crad...PR card renewal assessment should be based on RO only. Also in ATIP, the only assessment shown is RO, while security was "not applicable". Are they lying?
Security checks should be handled seperately and should not block PR card! We are not rebewing PR status, we are renewing the card only! I do not get it.
Also, it took less time to be a PR , how come these checks are taking 17 months?? I believe PR applications requirw more extensive security and background checks and yet they take less time!
"Why would there be inquiries overseas or to CSIS, this is PR card renewal!!"

To be eligible for a new PR card, the PR must have valid PR status and not be inadmissible. As I previously noted, SR is not directly about compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, even if a concern about compliance with the PR RO is a factor among those factors which triggered the SR.

In particular, a positive Residency Determination is not necessarily sufficient to be issued a new PR card.

You are among others who have, in one way or another, dismissed the idea that who gets SR is a fact-based, criteria driven decision, and you appear to dismiss that the review being done is rooted in resolving fact-based issues related to admissibility.

While we, in the public, including clients of IRCC, including myself, are not privy to much about what goes on in the SR process, it almost certainly is a fact-based, criteria driven process. In particular, however, it warrants recognizing that suspicion of fraud appears to be the most common focus of SR inquiries and investigations. That does not mean every PR subject to SR is accused of fraud, or even necessarily suspected of engaging in a particular fraud. It means IRCC identified some reasons to suspect the possibility of fraud (or a security concern), and will review the PR's case . . . the issue or concern may be one easily resolved, in which case the SR is not likely to be all that long. Or, as I suggested earlier, it may be a concern regarding which IRCC will make a referral to another government body, which may be CBSA, the RCMP, an overseas Visa Office, CSIS, or even authorities in other governments, and such referrals may be in the nature of a simple inquiry or it may involve a request to conduct an investigation.

Unfortunately the process is not transparent but, rather, is confidential, done behind-closed-curtains one might key. This is standard for all investigatory processes, even as to methods for verifying straight-forward factual issues like amount of presence in Canada, but especially so for any methods related to inquiries or investigations involving concerns about fraud or security issues. Thus, for example, eCas reveals little or nothing and even a client ATIP request will fail to generate a response which illuminates much at all if anything about what review is actually taking place.

That noted, there used to be more transparency, and more information provided to the public, so some of what I describe above derives from known past procedures, when there was more public information about inter-agency or inter-department referrals. And there was a period of time in which I was among a group of people very active in seeking information through the ATI process (which is distinguishable from the ATIP process, which is to obtain records related to a particular person; since becoming a citizen I have been a lot less active in doing more extensive and sometimes aggressive research).

Bottom-line: SR is more likely about suspected fraud or a security concern, about the validity of the PR's status (about potential inadmissibility), than it is about whether the PR met the PR Residency Obligation.

For many in SR, perhaps most, this derives more from the appearance of things rather than actual fraud or a security concern. Which means, for these individuals, it is merely a matter of time until the PR is, in effect, cleared, and a new PR card is issued.

I fully agree that the current SR processing time is excessive, and that IRCC should either make a diligent effort to reduce the processing time, to well under a year, or implement the issuance of temporary status documents pending the disposition of the SR.

I do not know how many PRs are actually burdened with the lengthy SR process, nor what the particular criteria are triggering SR, so I do not have an opinion about whether or not the scope of the criteria employed is overly broad. I do know, however, that IRCC is mandated to enforce IRPA and thus is charged with the responsibility to pursue the investigation of any PR suspected of fraud or being a security risk.

In the latter regard, a reminder: the scope of potential fraud subject to investigation in SR extends to the PR's entire immigration history, not just the application for a new PR card. Thus, for example, if IRCC perceives any reason to suspect any misrepresentation in any former transaction with IRCC, CIC, or CBSA, no matter how long ago, IRCC is required to investigate and determine the PR's admissibility.

AJK_9

Jun 30, 2012
foodie69 said:
How can that be fake? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp

There are probably thousands of permanent residents renewing their card without waiting for years or months. And those few who do and complain, are on this board.
You may be right...not sure whether you passed through this long waiting time ( approx 18/24 months ) for renewal of PR so it's tough to get an idea of that PAIN....still you are also on this board...

.....just humble request : try to understand pain of other people...it's easy to make comments....

quasar81

Feb 27, 2014
AJK_9 said:
You may be right...not sure whether you passed through this long waiting time ( approx 18/24 months ) for renewal of PR so it's tough to get an idea of that PAIN....still you are also on this board...

.....just humble request : try to understand pain of other people...it's easy to make comments....
AJK, don't bother about foodie. He is just being a foodie as he might be in real life.

Chrome

Star Member
Oct 21, 2016
CIC could just allow permanent residents with expired PR cards to apply for PR travel document before leaving Canada so nobody will have to take the risk of traveling with an expired PR and no travel document.

They can just remove the third condition "are outside Canada" from the eligibility requirements:

"You can apply for a permanent resident travel document if you:
are a permanent resident,
do not have a valid PR card showing your PR status,
are outside Canada, and
will return to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus."