+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eloping Now, Formal Celebration Next Year

internationalvelvet

Jun 13, 2012
My fiance and I have a big wedding and reception planned for early next year and have already made a deposit on and have contracts for the venue, photographer, videographer, etc from several months ago. Recently, my father diagnosed with a cancer that has a poor survival rate and he's indicated that he'd like us to get married so he knows we're settled. So we've decided to elope soon, just the two of us - he can't travel and same sex couples can't marry where he lives., though we will have pictures taken.

We're still going to have the big wedding next year . He's hoping to beat the odds and give me away and we want our families to be able to celebrate with us and have an actual wedding. Should we include an explanation about my father's health speeding things up and to include copies of our contracts, invitation, etc as proof of our relationship and that we want our families to celebrate with us?

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
I would say it depends where you are from, but it's probably a good idea. Most VO will be looking at how much your families are aware/approve of your relationship, and in your case, they seem to be happy about the marriage, so it's important to point it out in the application.
Since you are eloping and nobody will be present, I would include an explanation ( more or less the same as you have done here) and include proofs of the bigger ceremony - just make sure that you make the first one still look special, because otherwise CIC might suspect that you are only getting married to be able to apply for immigration - so even if you eloped, make sure it looks special - dress nicely, etc. and include as much information/explanation as possible.
Good luck - and I hope that your father recovers,
Sweden

internationalvelvet

Jun 13, 2012
Thank you, I hope my father recovers as well.

I'm a US citizen and my fiance and I met in 2004 and became romantically involved in 2005, so I think that given the length of our relationship, it will hopefully not be too difficult.

We're eloping in a chapel rather than city hall and fixing up. I'm wearing a dress and a hat, she's wearing a suit and tie. There's a friend in the area that's writing a proof of relationship letter for us that we might ask to be our witness.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
It seems like you are very well prepared, with a long history of relationship and indeed a "special day" coming up, so it'll go well!
Good luck, and congrats on the up-coming wedding!
Sweden

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
internationalvelvet said:
We're still going to have the big wedding next year . He's hoping to beat the odds and give me away and we want our families to be able to celebrate with us and have an actual wedding. Should we include an explanation about my father's health speeding things up and to include copies of our contracts, invitation, etc as proof of our relationship and that we want our families to celebrate with us?
I'm sorry to hear about your dad.
I would include the explanation about your father's health making you decide to have a small ceremony soon. I'd also include all the proof about the bigger ceremony later.

Zouk Princesse

Aug 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Nov-2011
File Transfer...
17-Jan-2012
Med's Request
VO requested med certificate extension from Ottawa 24-Jul-2012
Med's Done....
16-Jul-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-Sep-2012
LANDED..........
27-Sep-2012
Your situation is certainly understandable, and my best wishes to your father, hope he beats the big C.

CIC is not as concerned with quantity as they are with quality. Read through the cases on canlii and you'll see people who had weddings with 200+ guests are refused. As someone else mentioned, make sure you demonstrate how special this occasion is to you. Your dad is one of the main motivations for the early ceremony, although he can't make it, can he send some speech or something to be read during the ceremony? Consider writing your own vows or anything else to personalize your ceremony. And even though it's small, honour n celebrate it somehow, be it dinner with friends or a weekend at a hotel for the two of you. You just need to show that this is a big deal for you and you'll be fine. Look honestly at your whole case and pretend to be a VO, what stands out as red flags? Address those up front with supporting evidence. Often people are unsuccessful because they gloss over potential flags rather than showing up front why they're non-issues. Good luck!

blessedelaine

Dec 10, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
61312 mailed out
Doc's Request.
n/a
Nomination.....
61512 CPC-M received
AOR Received.
82112- thru email
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
012813-email/ Submitted all docs: 040213
VISA ISSUED...
042513 PDOS.......:042613
LANDED..........
So sorry to hear about your father. I hope he will be better soon as well...

With regards to your concern, i can see that your situation is actually considerable and understandable. But you must still encourage the VO by means of providing proofs that the relationship is genuine.

Pictures and communications since 2005 will still be needed and must be your "speaker" to actually entice the VO to believe you with your explanation on your upcoming special occassion.

Letters from friends and families will help..

Medical reports of your dad might be considered too.

Goodluck!