App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
peterperez said:
I believe that every citizen has to live every 6 months after being Canadian
It would be really nice if you stopped spreading this completely unfounded rumour. You can believe what you like. It doesn't make it true.

peterperez

Star Member
Mar 18, 2015
Adult applicants must now be physically present in Canada for at least 1,460 days (four years) during the six years before the date of their application, and they must be physically present in Canada for at least 183 days in each of four calendar years within the qualifying period. This is aimed at ensuring that citizenship applicants develop a strong attachment to Canada.

Adult applicants must declare their intent to reside in Canada once they become citizens and meet their personal income tax obligations in order to be eligible for citizenship.Among the many benefits of the government's citizenship reforms, the new provisions will deter citizens of convenience – those who become citizens for the sake of having a Canadian passport to return to Canada to access taxpayer-funded benefits that come with citizenship status, without having any attachment to Canada, or contributing to the economy.

Folks do u think all these 3 phrases means that after being Canadian we have to live in Canada for ever 6 months ? In a year if we claim taxes or healthcare ?

If u don't claim we can just live anywhere in the world right

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Buddha and peterperez: CIC has nothing to do with taxes ...why do you mix it I don't know. There are Canadians who pay taxes and they are Canadians who don't pay taxes, both are equally Canadians.

peterperez

Star Member
Mar 18, 2015
neutral said:
Buddha and peterperez: CIC has nothing to do with taxes ...why do you mix it I don't know. There are Canadians who pay taxes and they are Canadians who don't pay taxes, both are equally Canadians.
Ok friend

But after being Canadian u know the intend to reside

Do they have to live in Canada forever or can live freely ?

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
peterperez said:
Do they have to live in Canada forever or can live freely ?
There is not law that obligates Canadians to live permanently in Canada as we are a free country.

na123

Star Member
Dec 28, 2014
I always thought that June 1 is the date in turns out I was off by 10 days only. Also give credit to dpenabill he predict a lot of what happened, especially saying that after some parts were made into law on May 28th that the rest of the law should become effective in a couple of days.

Now the question is what happens to those who applied between April 1st and June 10th?????

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
na123 said:
I always thought that June 1 is the date in turns out I was off by 10 days only. Also give credit to dpenabill he predict a lot of what happened, especially saying that after some parts were made into law on May 28th that the rest of the law should become effective in a couple of days.

Now the question is what happens to those who applied between April 1st and June 10th?????

What do u mean what happens to those?

App received befor june 11 falls under old rule

oldfriend

Star Member
Mar 26, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
Geeee. June 11 is approx ONE YEAR after June 19, 2014. Who would have thought it. And you wonder what the big fuss was about? From Jan to May was nothing but pure torture on themselves that claimed they are suffering about deadline.

They even gave a 6 day advanced noticed. Reasonable but rather short notice but advanced notice nonetheless.
ha ha it looks 6 days ,but practically it is not . The announcement published on Friday afternoon (-1 day ) followed by weekend where most couriers are not working(- 1 or -2 days ). Actually it is only from Monday 8th to Wed 10th for the applications to be sent and received in Sydney NS regardless of from where it is sent.

I call this extreme sadism .

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Whats about April 1st?

na123 said:

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
peterperez said:
Adult applicants must now be physically present in Canada for at least 1,460 days (four years) during the six years before the date of their application, and they must be physically present in Canada for at least 183 days in each of four calendar years within the qualifying period. This is aimed at ensuring that citizenship applicants develop a strong attachment to Canada.

Adult applicants must declare their intent to reside in Canada once they become citizens and meet their personal income tax obligations in order to be eligible for citizenship.Among the many benefits of the government's citizenship reforms, the new provisions will deter citizens of convenience – those who become citizens for the sake of having a Canadian passport to return to Canada to access taxpayer-funded benefits that come with citizenship status, without having any attachment to Canada, or contributing to the economy.

Folks do u think all these 3 phrases means that after being Canadian we have to live in Canada for ever 6 months ? In a year if we claim taxes or healthcare ?

So glad that the new rule finally coming into force. Just by asking these questions, you are showing that you don't intend to live in Canada, so you are not eligible.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
OP_POP said:
So glad that the new rule finally coming into force. Just by asking these questions, you are showing that you don't intend to live in Canada, so you are not eligible.
you are probably glad because you already got your citizenship..i.e. you aren't affected anyway

na123

Star Member
Dec 28, 2014
CanadianCountry said:
Whats about April 1st?
They mentioned in the news release that all application received before April 1st should be finalized before March 31st, 2016. So I was just wondering why did they specifically omit the applications that were sent from April 1st to June 11.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
oldfriend said:
ha ha it looks 6 days ,but practically it is not . The announcement published on Friday afternoon (-1 day ) followed by weekend where most couriers are not working(- 1 or -2 days ). Actually it is only from Monday 8th to Wed 10th for the applications to be sent and received in Sydney NS regardless of from where it is sent.

I call this extreme sadism .
Extreme sadism??? Pluuurrrrreessseeeeee.

You got this weekend to complete the application and send it on Monday on next day delivery service. Plenty of time.

Want extreme sadism??? Try this for sadism. Announced 8am on June 8th that new rules kick in June 11th. You got to sign the application the next day (Assuming you meet 1095 days on the 8th) and mail it next day courier for June 10th.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
peterperez said:

I believe this must have been the 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000th time you cut and paste these paragraphs in this thread and all other 1000000000000000000000000000000000 threads you just started yesterday upon hearing the news.... Don't you find it annoying?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
So it is done. And the Governor in Council's Order is still not accessible online. But we now know that the Order has been made (I suspected as much when CIC announced that May 29 was the date other key provisions came into force), that the date fixed for the coming into force of the revised requirements is June 11, that applications not received at CIC by June 10 (a mere three mailing/business days away, if you count both day of shipping and day of receipt) will have to be submitted using the new forms which will not be available until June 11.

For some, for many, the impact of this is real, very real. For many this was not about day-trading or bets on a horse race.

In particular I realize that a lot of PRs were relying on this taking effect at least a few weeks later . . . some influenced by assurances made in this forum.

Many were relying on two weeks notice of the precise date . . . again, some influenced by assurances made in this forum.

I have been accused of fomenting paranoia and engaging in fear-mongering for suggesting this could happen before July 1st, and could happen with a minimal amount of notice in the range of just a few days to a week (acknowledging, however, I thought the amount of notice would be a little longer than that which has been given . . . but I am not much surprised how little notice there was given, this still being the Harper government after all).

Among the ten thousand or more PRs cut-off by the government implementing this on June 11 rather than July 1st (noting that the average rate of applications over recent years has been between three and four thousand per week), there are participants here like ari5323, who were persuaded by assurances from other participants here that substantial advance notice (at least two weeks) was guaranteed and there was no danger of being cut-off before July 1st.

Many in this situation are, undoubtedly, feeling the pain today, experiencing a range of emotions, most of them rather unpleasant, some perhaps leaning toward frustration if not anger.

I understand the pain, the disappointment for many. We knew this was coming. We knew it would hurt some group of PRs. A big group of PRs. There was no getting around that, that a substantial number of PRs would fall just past the cut-off, and that it was going to hurt.

I know this is real for many. And probably difficult to accept.

I did my best to warn that this could come virtually any day, that it easily could come before July 1st or June 19th, and that it could come with a minimal amount of notice as to the precise date.

And I realize that sounds too much like I told you so and that this is no comfort, does not mitigate the pain or frustration, hardly quells the anger.

But at least it is not as if Canadian citizenship is totally withdrawn. It will just take longer to get there. I hope ari5323 and the thousands of others this affects negatively can take this in stride and look forward to the day you are qualified and more so to the day you become Canadian citizens. The pay is not so good as in the U.S., the menu tends to be largely imported (suggesting food is better elsewhere), and the current PM is a burr-in-the-saddle, but there are plenty of upsides to living in this great country. I often wear with pride the Maple Leaf pin I received at my citizenship ceremony.

In the meantime there has already been a plethora of continuing mis-information, including the resurrection of vacuous threats about losing citizenship for leaving Canada (after becoming a citizen) or failing to pay taxes (no, you go to jail for that and pay penalties). Oh well.

na123 said:
They mentioned in the news release that all application received before April 1st should be finalized before March 31st, 2016. So I was just wondering why did they specifically omit the applications that were sent from April 1st to June 11.
Hard to say, but if I was to guess, my guess would be that they have already begun to receive an increased number of basic residency applications, that is, shortfall cases, applicants who meet the basic residency requirment but fall short of the actual physical presence test (1095 days APP), and that they are anticipating a flood of last minute applications among which a large number are also likely to be shortfall applications . . . which will demand elevated scrutiny, additional processing, probably RQ for most if not all, a lot of CJ hearings, and thus could take significantly longer, a lot longer, to complete the processing.

Which brings up the question of submitting a shortfall application now, to arrive in Sydney by Wednesday . . . or wait another year to apply . . . up to two years for some (those who can get credit for pre-landing time if they apply by Wednesday, but who will get no pre-landing credit if they do not get the application to CIC by Wednesday). Not a good plan to make a last minute shortfall application. I suspect dozens or hundreds or perhaps even more will. I suspect the final batch of applications before the cut-off will be a messy lot. And while I can only speculate about how CIC will approach the final few hundred or thousand applications made this month before the cut-off, it is easy to foresee the amount of scrutiny is likely to be elevated, at least some.

But for someone who was looking at shipping off the application toward the end of June with a buffer of ten days or so, having reached the 1095 day mark on June 15th say, who will have to now wait another full year plus however many days he goes abroad in the meantime, I can readily understand the temptation to take a chance, get the application off to get to Sydney by Wednesday, and hope for a friendly decision-maker. I don't know. My guess is that it is a long shot in the dark. I'd wait. But it is a personal decision and each person in a situation like that has to make the decision for himself or herself.

For the record:

Where are those who repeatedly assured "all June applicants will be fine," and described the prospect of minimal notice as "paranoia" or fear-mongering?