+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent child application 2024 - Is the IRCC screwed up or just me?

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
I today received email from someone I do not know well asking how to deal with a recent rejection of their application to sponsor 2 pre-teen children from the Philippines. I guess they found out I helped family members and thought I somehow knew all this stuff, which I don't. Because this person's English is not the best, and lack of computer access, I did not suggest they sign up here and start asking for help. I said I would ask a question or two on their behalf, but I do not want to really get much involved. I have been enough involved with my own family.

Anyway, this person received a letter, rejecting the application for 2 reasons.

REASON #1

Please note your application has been rejected for the following reason:

Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking (IMM 1344)
 A parent or legal guardian must sign on behalf of a dependent child under the age of 18 when a signature for this person is required.
 Please submit a newly completed Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking (IMM 1344) including all 18 Sponsor Eligibility Assessment questions found on pages 2 and 3 bearing original handwritten signature(s). (my emphasis)

The Guide (IMM5289) instructs:

The sponsor must

download and complete these forms
digitally sign, along with the principal applicant (PA)
If the principal applicant is a minor child (under 18 years old) their parent or legal guardian must sign the forms, and consent and declaration on their behalf.

On IMM 1344, on the signature page, it says that "I agree that by typing my name, I am electronically signing my application." Then there appears spaces for the sponsor and the sponsored person to sign by typing.

Notwithstanding all of the foregoing, is it the case that handwritten signatures must appear? I won't even get into the issue of the meaning to be ascribed to signing "on behalf" of the child which was recently debated here on the forum. Are people using written signatures, then scanning and submitting scanned copies? Kinda' seems to defeat the whole digital idea.

REASON #2

Financial Evaluation (IMM 5481)
 Financial Evaluation (IMM 5481) form not included/missing.

Again, the Guide advises:

If you’re only sponsoring dependent children, you must fill out

Sponsorship Evaluation [IMM 5481] (PDF, 2.17 MB)
Financial Evaluation [IMM 1283] (PDF, 2.01 MB)

So, the rejection letter says that Financial Evaluation form IMM 5481 is missing, yet the form IMM5481 referred to and linked in the Guide is, in fact, as described in the Guide. It's the Sponsorship Evaluation form NOT the Financial Evaluation form. The Sponsorship Evaluation form IMM 5481 was, I am told, submitted.

The only Financial Evaluation form available seems to be IMM 1283. On that topic, the Guide says:

Financial Evaluation form (IMM 1283)
View form IMM 1283 (PDF, 2.01 MB)

Complete this form if you are sponsoring a dependent child who has a dependent child of their own.

Well, my "friend" has young kids who do not have their own dependent children, hence IMM 1283 was not completed.

It's not at all clear how Reason #2 can be satisfied. It appears to be based on erroneous notions: (i) that Financial Evaluation form IMM 5481 is a form that actually exists, which does not appear to be the case and (ii) it needs to be filled out. As I say, the only Financial Information form I can find is IMM 1283 and it's quite clear that it should NOT be filled out if the sponsored kids don't have kids. But the IRCC demand is now there, however impossible to meet.

Finally, the rejection letter does not really say, but it appears that, even if missing/corrected forms are available, the entire application must be submitted anew. Is that how it works? It does not seem that one can resort to the simple expedient of sending in one or two documents appended to a webform. And, I suppose, to re-submit will require payment of fees again, which sucks.

Any ideas on how to proceed? I should add that the rejection letter was received for only one of the 2 kids. Presumably an identical letter for the other kid will arrive soon. Maybe I am just failing to comprehend what's crystal clear to everyone else and the rejection is wholly legitimate. After all, the IRCC is never wrong, is it? I would think it ranks ahead of papal infallibility.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Any ideas on how to proceed? I should add that the rejection letter was received for only one of the 2 kids. Presumably an identical letter for the other kid will arrive soon. Maybe I am just failing to comprehend what's crystal clear to everyone else and the rejection is wholly legitimate. After all, the IRCC is never wrong, is it? I would think it ranks ahead of papal infallibility.
I don't think there's much that can be done except to resubmit the whole thing, as they ask.

-I've mostly/always suggested to do the wet-ink signature if submitted even if the forms say otherwise. IRCC is inconsistent on this. (Wet-ink and scan if submitting a scan). In other words, the ONLY circumstnace one should not do wet-ink signature is if submitting via means of clicking a form/clicking a box (where no scanning involved). Yes, the instructions in various places contradict (I think, anyway). They don't ever seem to return for anyone who's done MORE than they require (or at least not for those reasons).

-Financials: the response is clearly wrong. Two choices: submit the actual financial form even though not required OR resubmit with a letter of explanation that quotes the instructions.

-No need to repay the fees if they haven't been returned. Provide the receipt provided the first time.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Thank you very much @armoured. Sensible advice, as always.

The parents are a Filipino couple, both have Canada PR status. She's in Canada right now and he's back in Phils for awhile. Anyway, I'll pass this on and I would guess that, between them, they can come up with a way to do as you suggest - Wet-ink and scan.

I think the best idea for the financial form is to send a short letter of explanation pointing out the apparent error in the letter, misidentifying the forms and suggesting a financial form needs to be completed when the kids are young and have no kids of their own. They can couch it in soft language saying they'll complete the form if really required. They might chose to fill it in anyway, but I took a quick look at it and it appears to require earnings and CRA info for both, which might be a bit tedious. They can decide.

Good to hear about fees not being required for a re-submission. That saves them $300.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think the best idea for the financial form is to send a short letter of explanation pointing out the apparent error in the letter, misidentifying the forms and suggesting a financial form needs to be completed when the kids are young and have no kids of their own. They can couch it in soft language saying they'll complete the form if really required. They might chose to fill it in anyway, but I took a quick look at it and it appears to require earnings and CRA info for both, which might be a bit tedious. They can decide.
I don't recall how much financial info is in the main sponsorship file but if they can indicate something in the letter of explanation about their financial situation, and provide some (any) evidence eg a notice of assessment for one of them, that might be enough.

For the 'signature' / it's really just send a PDF version, print, sign, scan back.

Of course some advanced users might figure out they can paste an electronic signature/graphic on there (mac preview program lets one do this and re-size) - although I don't know whether this is within the rules, I'm a bit doubtful IRCC is looking for this or cares, really.

Reactions: Kaibigan

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I just came across this tweet where some representative (official type like lawyer) got a response:

Short form: it is a mess and they provide different instructions for each form. I can't even attest that IRCC will follow these.

It's possible the thread of responses will give some clarity. I doubt it. Frankly I think it's that IRCC doesn't have up to date simplified instructions and the agents deciding have neither simplified nor unified instructions.

I can say I don't think I've seen many returned that followed the print-sign-scan approach.

Reactions: Kaibigan
Feb 28, 2024
Guys I need your advise, I am PR holders my wife's Outland sponsorship in progress(It's been 5 months already). Her TRV is approved, she's 4 months pregnant now . Planning to bring her to canada apply for work permit once landed in Canada and using an offer letter get her OHIP and deliver the baby in Canada. My wife want to stay in India and deliver the baby. If baby is delivered in India. I have to go through baby's PR process which is taking 10-11 months of processing time on IRCC portal. Please advise, Which option is best delivery in India or Canada?

Pk1987

Nov 2, 2021
I today received email from someone I do not know well asking how to deal with a recent rejection of their application to sponsor 2 pre-teen children from the Philippines. I guess they found out I helped family members and thought I somehow knew all this stuff, which I don't. Because this person's English is not the best, and lack of computer access, I did not suggest they sign up here and start asking for help. I said I would ask a question or two on their behalf, but I do not want to really get much involved. I have been enough involved with my own family.

Anyway, this person received a letter, rejecting the application for 2 reasons.

REASON #1

Please note your application has been rejected for the following reason:

Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking (IMM 1344)
 A parent or legal guardian must sign on behalf of a dependent child under the age of 18 when a signature for this person is required.
 Please submit a newly completed Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking (IMM 1344) including all 18 Sponsor Eligibility Assessment questions found on pages 2 and 3 bearing original handwritten signature(s). (my emphasis)

The Guide (IMM5289) instructs:

The sponsor must

download and complete these forms
digitally sign, along with the principal applicant (PA)
If the principal applicant is a minor child (under 18 years old) their parent or legal guardian must sign the forms, and consent and declaration on their behalf.

On IMM 1344, on the signature page, it says that "I agree that by typing my name, I am electronically signing my application." Then there appears spaces for the sponsor and the sponsored person to sign by typing.

Notwithstanding all of the foregoing, is it the case that handwritten signatures must appear? I won't even get into the issue of the meaning to be ascribed to signing "on behalf" of the child which was recently debated here on the forum. Are people using written signatures, then scanning and submitting scanned copies? Kinda' seems to defeat the whole digital idea.

REASON #2

Financial Evaluation (IMM 5481)
 Financial Evaluation (IMM 5481) form not included/missing.

Again, the Guide advises:

If you’re only sponsoring dependent children, you must fill out

Sponsorship Evaluation [IMM 5481] (PDF, 2.17 MB)
Financial Evaluation [IMM 1283] (PDF, 2.01 MB)

So, the rejection letter says that Financial Evaluation form IMM 5481 is missing, yet the form IMM5481 referred to and linked in the Guide is, in fact, as described in the Guide. It's the Sponsorship Evaluation form NOT the Financial Evaluation form. The Sponsorship Evaluation form IMM 5481 was, I am told, submitted.

The only Financial Evaluation form available seems to be IMM 1283. On that topic, the Guide says:

Financial Evaluation form (IMM 1283)
View form IMM 1283 (PDF, 2.01 MB)

Complete this form if you are sponsoring a dependent child who has a dependent child of their own.

Well, my "friend" has young kids who do not have their own dependent children, hence IMM 1283 was not completed.

It's not at all clear how Reason #2 can be satisfied. It appears to be based on erroneous notions: (i) that Financial Evaluation form IMM 5481 is a form that actually exists, which does not appear to be the case and (ii) it needs to be filled out. As I say, the only Financial Information form I can find is IMM 1283 and it's quite clear that it should NOT be filled out if the sponsored kids don't have kids. But the IRCC demand is now there, however impossible to meet.

Finally, the rejection letter does not really say, but it appears that, even if missing/corrected forms are available, the entire application must be submitted anew. Is that how it works? It does not seem that one can resort to the simple expedient of sending in one or two documents appended to a webform. And, I suppose, to re-submit will require payment of fees again, which sucks.

Reason # 1
In the checklist, page 8, point 1 states that Applicant and sponsor MUST sign and submit the document.

Reason # 2
in the checklist, page 1, point 4 says that we have to write N/A if you sponsoring child has no children on their own. Did you miss it any chance ?

I am just applying for my kid, just trying to go through the Docs one by one.

viraj.manek1

May 8, 2024
@Pk1987 for reason 2, it says 1283 is not needed, but when you go to the guide and select only dependent child; they say that 1283 has to be filled. Anyone has a solution for this?

I am sponsoring my daughter (both wife and I are PR). So in form 5481, does the name of my daughter (the primary applicant) feature anywhere? I have mentioned my wife's name in details required for 6A. Any help will be great @armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@Pk1987 for reason 2, it says 1283 is not needed, but when you go to the guide and select only dependent child; they say that 1283 has to be filled. Anyone has a solution for this?
I don't think this is accurate - if you mean the part where you download the forms, it gives you the form package, which includes 1283, but it does NOT say there that all applicants must complete and submit that specific form. (Which I grant is not the clearest approach or wording on that page)

I'd instead go with what is on the checklist, it is clear and unambiguous - not needed.

I am sponsoring my daughter (both wife and I are PR). So in form 5481, does the name of my daughter (the primary applicant) feature anywhere? I have mentioned my wife's name in details required for 6A. Any help will be great @armoured
Your daughter should appear in 6b as someone financially dependent on you not listed elsewhere on the form.

I think.

Reactions: YVR123

Pk1987

Nov 2, 2021

1283 - I wrote an explanation letter stating it’s not required as per the guidelines by ircc and mentioned the link and screenshot.

5481 - I agree with above command by @viraj.manek1

viraj.manek1

May 8, 2024
Ok thanks a lot @armoured and @Pk1987. A couple of questions on my daughter's application if you guys can help answer:

1. @Pk1987 did your LoE for not filling 1283 get accepted?
2. 5481 - I will take @armoured's advice and fill the name in 6B
3. For Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) and Additional Family Information (IMM 5406), is writing names in Native script necessary?
4. For Additional Family Information (IMM 5406), it is asking address for everyone. I will be applying next month when I will be in Canada. My wife and daughter will still be in India and will follow in August. So I should write the actual addresses (me - CA, wife and daughter - India) in that form?
5. What are some points that should be mentioned in the LoE which will be helpful? Should I include income proof for the preceding 12 month period?

Pk1987

Nov 2, 2021
Ok thanks a lot @armoured and @Pk1987. A couple of questions on my daughter's application if you guys can help answer:

1. @Pk1987 did your LoE for not filling 1283 get accepted?
2. 5481 - I will take @armoured's advice and fill the name in 6B
3. For Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) and Additional Family Information (IMM 5406), is writing names in Native script necessary?
4. For Additional Family Information (IMM 5406), it is asking address for everyone. I will be applying next month when I will be in Canada. My wife and daughter will still be in India and will follow in August. So I should write the actual addresses (me - CA, wife and daughter - India) in that form?
5. What are some points that should be mentioned in the LoE which will be helpful? Should I include income proof for the preceding 12 month period?
1. IMM 1283 is not required, Yes the explanation letter is accepted.
3. Yes, it is. You can do the google translator and just copy paste in the exact field.
4. Answer is in the header of that form - "
You (the principal applicant) must fill out this form for yourself and on behalf of any of your family members 18 years
of age or older (who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents). If your spouse is already a PR, then no need. Only child's information is fine. "
5. Here is what i wrote:
This letter explains why I have not submitted IMM 1283 - Financial Evaluation form as part of this application. As guided by IRCC, I am submitting this application for my newborn child. So the IMM 1283 is not applicable to this applicant/application. I have shared below IRCC link and screenshot for your quick reference.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5482-instruction-fill-financial-evaluation-form-1283.html

Also, included the screenshot of below:

Guide 5482 – Instruction to fill the Financial Evaluation form (IMM 1283)

Quebec residents do not need to complete this form
The Financial Evaluation form (IMM 1283) will help you assess if you (and your spouse or common-law partner, if he or she is co-signing the undertaking) will have the financial ability to support the persons you are planning to sponsor and their family members.
If you are sponsoring a person other than:
  • your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has no family members, or
  • your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has dependent children who have no dependent children of their own, or
  • your child who has no children of his or her own,
Hope you are clear now.

viraj.manek1

May 8, 2024
Thanks a ton guys, this makes it very clear. Will take this way ahead. Last couple of clarifications:

1. I am assuming the form "Separation Declaration for Minors Travelling to Canada [IMM 5604]" is applicable only if one parent is moving and another is not moving. It is not needed for case where I am moving first and my wife is getting daughter later right?
2. Additional supporting documents on the portal also has a provision for 'Proof of physical presence in Canada'. Do I need to attach anything to prove that I am submitting this application inland?
3.I am applying for the PR once I am there and before my daughter arrives (on a visitor visa). If there is some issue in our application, they will not stop her from entering right? She has the visitor visa so her entry is sorted correct? I am asking if I should wait until she is in the country and then apply.

Thanks.

viraj.manek1

May 8, 2024
4. In the context of this particular form, I would put your wife's permanent address in Canada. You can note in explanation she will return with your daughter.
Hi @armoured, for forms IMM5406 and IMM5669, I am planning to skip adding details for my wife and me since the form asks Principal Applicant (daughter) to fill out this form for yourself and on behalf of any of your family members 18 years of age or older who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

Since my wife and I are already Permanent Residents of Canada, our details would not be needed in this form. I will also add this in the LoE. Does that seem correct?