Waived
Passport Req..
08-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2013
LANDED..........
25-04-2013
Leon said:
No, they haven't scammed the system because there are currently no rules saying that you can't leave after getting citizenship. However, if this starts to become a common practice, there might be some in the future or the time you have to stay before applying will be increased or you can't move away during the processing time or both and/or that you have to file taxes in Canada for the rest of your life like the US does.

I believe that immigration's purpose of giving PR and citizenship to immigrants is to bring and integrate people who will enrich the country. Why should a country want to give citizenship to someone who can't wait to leave?
My thoughts exactly! +1 to you! +5 if I could!

I find that the people itching to get Citizenship AS SOON AS POSSIBLE have an agenda. One that isn't for the better of the country or it's people.

Halloum

Star Member
Apr 7, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
No, they haven't scammed the system because there are currently no rules saying that you can't leave after getting citizenship. However, if this starts to become a common practice, there might be some in the future or the time you have to stay before applying will be increased or you can't move away during the processing time or both and/or that you have to file taxes in Canada for the rest of your life like the US does.

I believe that immigration's purpose of giving PR and citizenship to immigrants is to bring and integrate people who will enrich the country. Why should a country want to give citizenship to someone who can't wait to leave?
I agree wholehartedly.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Leon, I understand that -- but I also believe that citizenship makes a person a member of a country with all the rights and privileges of native-born members, and that includes informal privileges. No one considers native Canadians as having a duty to live here. It seems that Canada's aim should be not to create a class of people who are grateful and industrious, but a group of new Canadians who use the freedom that status gives them in all the way that natural Canadians do. In this case, the informal privilege of being Canadian is doing whatever one wants in the world. This situation has happened before -- in Smyrna, before the Turks destroyed it, there was a class of Levant traders who spoke many languages, traded throughout the Mediterranean, but were U.K. citizens. In a way it is a testament to a country, and can be managed in ways that prevent exploitation (one option below).

Of course, no commune wants to let in lazy workers who are just there for the free love . . . -- and a year application, three years of residency, year or so of citizenship application, lets someone become a citizen who is just there for a PhD program, or other short-term reasons. Perhaps they should lengthen the residency and shorten the application period . . .

It will become a problem if large numbers of Canadians, who have lived life abroad, start returning to Alberta in their unhealthy old ages and signing up for next-day medical coverage at the airport. I would suggest that Canada does what the U.S. does, and institute a law that access to health insurance for people returning from abroad depends upon them continuing to pay taxes for some pre-specified period. Canadian pensions are all linked to residency, so there is no problem there.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
It will become a problem if large numbers of Canadians, who have lived life abroad, start returning to Alberta in their unhealthy old ages and signing up for next-day medical coverage at the airport. I would suggest that Canada does what the U.S. does, and institute a law that access to health insurance for people returning from abroad depends upon them continuing to pay taxes for some pre-specified period. Canadian pensions are all linked to residency, so there is no problem there.
They don't even have to go to AB. They can go to any province except ON, BC, NB or QC and get first day health care as residents returning from abroad. After a few months, they can move to those other provinces too and get health care there after the 3 month waiting period.

However, I don't think that people who have spent most of their life abroad will return just for the free health care. If they have family in Canada, they might return because of that. If this becomes a problem in the future, I am sure the provinces will deal with that when the time comes.

Hnhkrk

May 4, 2012
Illinois, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
LA --> Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2012
AOR Received.
17-10-2012
Med's Done....
09-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2013
LANDED..........
25-04-2013
canuckoz said:
12 months still a LOOOOOOOOONG time IMO :p :p :p
Considering that you can still work, go to school, and travel... it's not that bad. PR applications can take 17 months or more, and that's a lot more stressful.

canuckoz

Feb 21, 2013
Don't you want to be able vote and have a say in your country's future?

If you really care about your country you'd want to vote the people who you believe is best for your country!

Hnhkrk

May 4, 2012
Illinois, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
LA --> Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2012
AOR Received.
17-10-2012
Med's Done....
09-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2013
LANDED..........
25-04-2013
canuckoz said:
Don't you want to be able vote and have a say in your country's future?

If you really care about your country you'd want to vote the people who you believe is best for your country!
Yes, I do want to be able to vote. I care about Canada and the outcome of it's people, which is why I don't mind if I have to wait 3 years for my citizenship application to process if it means that ONE fraud is caught in the process.

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
People always told me back home that Canadian politics was boring, but holy crap it is intense! Getting really involved in it now. I'm even joining a party once I get my PR.

canuckoz

Feb 21, 2013
Hnhkrk said:
Yes, I do want to be able to vote. I care about Canada and the outcome of it's people, which is why I don't mind if I have to wait 3 years for my citizenship application to process if it means that ONE fraud is caught in the process.
well are they really catching fraud or they have poor fraud prevention technologies that take it so long? how come many other 1st world countries process applications much quicker and at the same time prevent fraud?

Hnhkrk

May 4, 2012
Illinois, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
LA --> Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2012
AOR Received.
17-10-2012
Med's Done....
09-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2013
LANDED..........
25-04-2013
canuckoz said:
well are they really catching fraud or they have poor fraud prevention technologies that take it so long? how come many other 1st world countries process applications much quicker and at the same time prevent fraud?
I'm sure that there are room for improvements, there always are.

canloverdream

Jun 21, 2010
Sure, it would be much wiser to ignore it, pretend that there is no issue and trust in the goodness of people. That's worked so well in the past! I'd like to see what the cost is of this versus the cost of supporting the hundreds of thousands of people who gain citizenship or PR illegally.
[/quote]

@ torontosm, I just want to ask if you work for cic because I really dont understand what exactly you are doing onthis forum. If you knw you are not affected by the recent changes made which in the long run affect law abiding, hardworking immigrants that left a lot behind only to be working menial jobs in Canada, then why bother to comment on this topic. I would like to ask you if Canada is a prison that immigrants need to be indirectly forced to live here longer than they would want to. I have a question for you, why not the govt make the place condusive for immigrants to be able to make a decent living and LIVE here, afterall that is why they left t come here in the first place? If this country only gave mmigrants half a chance to be able to intergrate properly and work half decent jobs i can asure you that most of them would not be counting time to apply for citizenship and get the hell out of here. Everyone has the right to live wherever they choose. Canadians leave Canada everyday and set up home in other countries of the world so how come it is such a travesty for an immigrant to Canada to want to do the same?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
canloverdream said:
@ torontosm, I just want to ask if you work for cic because I really dont understand what exactly you are doing onthis forum. If you knw you are not affected by the recent changes made which in the long run affect law abiding, hardworking immigrants that left a lot behind only to be working menial jobs in Canada, then why bother to comment on this topic. I would like to ask you if Canada is a prison that immigrants need to be indirectly forced to live here longer than they would want to. I have a question for you, why not the govt make the place condusive for immigrants to be able to make a decent living and LIVE here, afterall that is why they left t come here in the first place? If this country only gave mmigrants half a chance to be able to intergrate properly and work half decent jobs i can asure you that most of them would not be counting time to apply for citizenship and get the hell out of here. Everyone has the right to live wherever they choose. Canadians leave Canada everyday and set up home in other countries of the world so how come it is such a travesty for an immigrant to Canada to want to do the same?
Since you asked, what exactly is the purpose of your comment? I was expressing my views in the same manner that you have done.

I'm not sure what you are looking for the government to do. They do make many efforts to help immigrants settle, find new jobs, integrate into society, learn new skills, learn languages, etc. However, Canada is still a capitalistic society and the government can not hand out jobs to every newcomer as you would like.

Personally, I resent your comments because I immigrated to Canada some time ago. Since then, I have found the society to be extremely welcoming, and my time here to be very rewarding in every sense. I have never felt excluded or discriminated against, and greatly appreciate the opportunity that the government gave me. And it is because of this that I get irked when I see people criticizing the government for not doing enough. Having lived in many countries before Canada, I can assure you that the government here does much, much more than most and I get annoyed when people don't seem to appreciate it.

canloverdream

Jun 21, 2010
Thats your business. However any immigrants or otherwise choose to behave, live, move out of Canada after getting citizenship or choose to stay in Canada or even the moon afetr becoming a citizen of Canada is none of your business. Canada is a free country...so please just leave the third world mentality behind from wherever you came from. Yes the govt have made efforts to help immigrants but a large majority have not been able to attain the level that they left behind and if they decide to look for it else where....well that is their choice. Canada is not a prison and most immigrants coming here have been screened intensively and paid fees inorder for their applications to be processed. I for one was not handed residency on a plater of gold, i went thorugh the due process.

So please dont ever tell anyone immigrant or otherwise to put up or shut up with whatever bad treatment metted out to them. f anyone feels that they have been treated unfairly then they have the human right to open thier mouth and express their views...just like you are doing...after all that is why they left their countires inorder to have a voice.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
canloverdream said:
Thats your business. However any immigrants or otherwise choose to behave, live, move out of Canada after getting citizenship or choose to stay in Canada or even the moon afetr becoming a citizen of Canada is none of your business. Canada is a free country...so please just leave the third world mentality behind from wherever you came from. Yes the govt have made efforts to help immigrants but a large majority have not been able to attain the level that they left behind and if they decide to look for it else where....well that is their choice. Canada is not a prison and most immigrants coming here have been screened intensively and paid fees inorder for their applications to be processed. I for one was not handed residency on a plater of gold, i went thorugh the due process.

So please dont ever tell anyone immigrant or otherwise to put up or shut up with whatever bad treatment metted out to them. f anyone feels that they have been treated unfairly then they have the human right to open thier mouth and express their views...just like you are doing...after all that is why they left their countires inorder to have a voice.
Firstly, I don't appreciate your comment about my "third world mentality". Perhaps you need to take a step back and learn a bit of respect before posting again.

Secondly, what bad treatment are you going on about? How are immigrants being treated so badly? By being asked to wait their turn to receive citizenship? Is that what you think is unfair? If so, complain all you want but I will exercise my right to push for stricter regulations to prevent immigration fraud and if that means processing times are delayed further, so be it.

And, I may actually change my position on immigrants leaving the country in your case. Canada would be better off without ingrates like you.