+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing Land-border on expired PR Card, AFTER new PR Card application

MRWOLF

Sep 26, 2023
As the title states, can I use my expired PR card and COPR to cross the land-border into Canada AFTER I have already applied for my new PR card?

I would like to know if my expired PR card can still be used to travel into Canada via land-border if I have already applied for a new PR card, or will my expired card become "invalid" as a travel document once the application for a new PR card is made?

I have heard that your old PR card becomes "invalid" after application for a new card, but I am not sure this applies for land-border crossing with expired PR cards.

I have my COPR document and I meet my Residency Obligation.

Any advice is appreciated.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, no impact and no issue. Really any doc that shows you are a pr will serve, even photocopies. Current card even expired and evidence of having applied for new card may make it a bit easier.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As the title states, can I use my expired PR card and COPR to cross the land-border into Canada AFTER I have already applied for my new PR card?

I would like to know if my expired PR card can still be used to travel into Canada via land-border if I have already applied for a new PR card, or will my expired card become "invalid" as a travel document once the application for a new PR card is made?

I have heard that your old PR card becomes "invalid" after application for a new card, but I am not sure this applies for land-border crossing with expired PR cards.

I have my COPR document and I meet my Residency Obligation.

Any advice is appreciated.
According to IRCC, your current [valid] card would be invalid 60 days `after it is issued'. This may not be the date that it was mailed, since `issued' is pretty vague.

MRWOLF

Sep 26, 2023
According to IRCC, your current [valid] card would be invalid 60 days `after it is issued'. This may not be the date that it was mailed, since `issued' is pretty vague.
I think you miss understood as I am referring clearly to land-border crossing in this case.

MRWOLF

Sep 26, 2023
Yes, no impact and no issue. Really any doc that shows you are a pr will serve, even photocopies. Current card even expired and evidence of having applied for new card may make it a bit easier.
Incredible - thank you for the clear and concise response.

Reactions: armoured

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes but irrelevant here because land border crossing.
I was merely confirming that a valid card does indeed become invalid 60 days after it is issued, which is what the OP posted.

Since their card is expired it is already`invalid' for travel, right?

Because commercial carriers require a valid PR Card, it is seen as a travel document. Entering Canada via a PoE, the card is (in this case) evidence that the card holder was a PR holder and unless/until CBSA determines that status has been lost, is admitted to Canada.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I was merely confirming that a valid card does indeed become invalid 60 days after it is issued, which is what the OP posted.
You 'merely' left out the operative part of that request, which was 'but I am not sure this applies for land-border crossing with expired PR cards.'

Since their card is expired it is already`invalid' for travel, right?
This is such loaded language I don't think it should even be included. It is NOT 'invalid' for the purposes of crossing a land border - which was the question to hand.

Because commercial carriers require a valid PR Card, it is seen as a travel document. Entering Canada via a PoE, the card is (in this case) evidence that the card holder was a PR holder and unless/until CBSA determines that status has been lost, is admitted to Canada.
Quelle salade verbale.

Reactions: MRWOLF

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You 'merely' left out the operative part of that request, which was 'but I am not sure this applies for land-border crossing with expired PR cards.'

This is such loaded language I don't think it should even be included. It is NOT 'invalid' for the purposes of crossing a land border - which was the question to hand.

Quelle salade verbale.
Yawn.