+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Credential Evaluation - Masters in US and Bachelors in India - Do I need to get Bachelors evaluated?

aanajpure

Sep 24, 2018
I have a Masters degree (M.S. -2 years degree) in Computer Science from a US university and Bachelors of Engineering (B.E. - 4 year degree) from an Indian university. Do i need to get my Bachelors degree / credentials also evaluated, or it is enough to get only the Masters one? Will doing the Bachelors degree evaluation add up any points?
Please help urgently since there is confusing information online about this online.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
I have a Masters degree (M.S. -2 years degree) in Computer Science from a US university and Bachelors of Engineering (B.E. - 4 year degree) from an Indian university. Do i need to get my Bachelors degree / credentials also evaluated, or it is enough to get only the Masters one? Will doing the Bachelors degree evaluation add up any points?
Please help urgently since there is confusing information online about this online.
Check here for WES
https://www.wes.org/ca/required-documents/

rdesai

Aug 30, 2018
USA
First of all, if you have Master's Degree, Bachelor's Degree evaluation will not add any points as highest degree earned is considered during point calculation.

Regarding Bachelor's degree evaluation, I was in a similar situation like you as I have Master's in US and Bachelor's in India.
After consulting a lot of people who have been in a similar situation like us and have got Canadian PR through this process, I have determined that if you have Master's in US Bachelor's degree evaluation is not required.
WES would ask you for a Bachelor's transcript when evaluating Master's if they have doubt. However, they do not ask for Bachelor's transcript if you have earned a Master's Degree in USA.

You can also use the following link and find out the required documents for evaluation:
https://www.wes.org/ca/required-documents/

Best of luck

Last edited:

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
Master's alone should do as highest degree matters.

WarHammer

May 17, 2018
Valid & logical answers have already been provided by other members.

But let me provide a different perspective. I was in a similar situation with an under-grad in India and a MS in the US.

I gave WES evaluation for both. Now I know for a fact it doesn't cause a negative impact. There is a small chance it might have a positive impact and that was good enough for me.

It costs a bit more to get it evaluated. So why not go ahead and do something that can aid your application for an endeavor that can be possibly life altering for you ?

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
You only need the Masters degree evaluated.

akshayde

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
You only need the Masters degree evaluated.
Hi, just to confirm, can I get an ITA if I submit only ECA for Masters? If yes will I have to submit the ECA for Bachelors later when I am submitting the documents after getting an invite?

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
Hi, just to confirm, can I get an ITA if I submit only ECA for Masters? If yes will I have to submit the ECA for Bachelors later when I am submitting the documents after getting an invite?
You only have to submit the ECA for your masters. CIC assumes that if you have a masters, you clearly have a bachelors as well. Plus you don't get extra points for the Bachelors.

Reactions: akshayde

akshayde

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
You only have to submit the ECA for your masters. CIC assumes that if you have a masters, you clearly have a bachelors as well. Plus you don't get extra points for the Bachelors.
Thanks for the clarification. The reason I asked is because currently my application is on hold. WES accepted my US Masters but not my Bachelors from MUmbai University. In my Bachelors for my 7th Sem, we did not have any exams and classes. We only had training at the industry level. Marks for that were added in 8th Sem marksheets. WES thinks that I have not submitted my marksheets for 7th sem and put my application on hold. But I am trying to explain that my university did not issue any marksheets for 7th sem.. It is almost like I have to submit something that I don't have at all. Any suggestions how can I handle this?

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
Thanks for the clarification. The reason I asked is because currently my application is on hold. WES accepted my US Masters but not my Bachelors from MUmbai University. In my Bachelors for my 7th Sem, we did not have any exams and classes. We only had training at the industry level. Marks for that were added in 8th Sem marksheets. WES thinks that I have not submitted my marksheets for 7th sem and put my application on hold. But I am trying to explain that my university did not issue any marksheets for 7th sem.. It is almost like I have to submit something that I don't have at all. Any suggestions how can I handle this?
Is it your ECA application with WES that is on hold or your EE application?
If it's your ECA application with WES, then send them an email to evaluate only the Msc so as not to waste any more time.

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
Valid & logical answers have already been provided by other members.

But let me provide a different perspective. I was in a similar situation with an under-grad in India and a MS in the US.

I gave WES evaluation for both. Now I know for a fact it doesn't cause a negative impact. There is a small chance it might have a positive impact and that was good enough for me.

It costs a bit more to get it evaluated. So why not go ahead and do something that can aid your application for an endeavor that can be possibly life altering for you ?
What positive impact does it have? You don't need to get a Bsc. ECA evaluated for EE if you already have an Msc. evaluated

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
What positive impact does it have? You don't need to get a Bsc. ECA evaluated for EE if you already have an Msc. evaluated
It actually has a negative impact as evident from the earlier post. WES completely stopped evaluating his usa masters because his bachelor's evaluation was on hold!. There is nothing positive from getting bachelors evaluated if you have a masters.

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Ask them to evaluate masters only. If they say they can't ask for a refund and go with another organization. You could be on hold for several months and not worth the time and money.

akshayde

Star Member
Sep 11, 2018
Is it your ECA application with WES that is on hold or your EE application?
If it's your ECA application with WES, then send them an email to evaluate only the Msc so as not to waste any more time.
MY ECA is on hold.. Since I don't have evaluation done, I cant create EE profile... Yes I am waiting for WES to reply, if they are not willing to do for bachelor's then I am just going to do ECA for Masters and move forward.. no point in waiting...