Amy2Canada

Star Member
Jun 14, 2015
Mumbai
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I observed that here they call Studio apartment as Bachelor's apartment. Is there any rule that only single person can reside in a studio apartment or Studio apartment is fine for a couple?

Also, is there a security deposit system or contract? And how much would it cost; Assuming the apartment is CAD 1200 per month?

Cheers,
Amy

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
depends on the landlord, some won't allow couples in a bachelor, some are fine with it.you need to give first and last months rent upfront, so for a $1200 place, you'd be giving $2400.

karenn1617

May 29, 2015
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
purplesnow said:
depends on the landlord, some won't allow couples in a bachelor, some are fine with it.you need to give first and last months rent upfront, so for a $1200 place, you'd be giving $2400.
But what about the high-rise buildings mainly. Do they got same level of restrictions too like for a bachelor/one-room apartment, only single person allowed while say for example if parents or any other relatives comes to spend some time with you like couple of months, then is it allowed?

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
for the high rises, they're usually managed by a management company and they'd probably be ok leasing a bachelor to a couple but having people stay for a few months could be a problem. they're usually more security conscious, need to log in visitors, if two people live there they'll only give two keys and two entry fobs, no extras for guests..

Amy2Canada

Star Member
Jun 14, 2015
Mumbai
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the response.

How about the contracts? Need to sign of specific duration? Or it varies depending on the owner/managed company?

Any brokerage or extra costs while moving in the rented apartment?

Cheers,
Amy

vjroB$

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2015
Doc's Request.
04-08-2015
AOR Received.
04-08-2015
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
07-01-2016
I believe the new immigrants can also find some rented space on AirBnb where owners share their property for renting out.
I have observed that the monthly rent comes out to 1000 CAD to 1500 CAD depending upon the place you select. This amount is inclusive of electricity, water, internet and sometimes daily breakfast also.

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
its always a year lease. no broker fees, real estate agents/letting agents charge the person leasing out the space, not the person renting it.

Air Bnb is fine, but its staying in someone else's house, its only ever a short term solution.

GARJ

Mar 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It really depends on where you live. Taxes and living expenses in southern Ontario are high. I live in Toronto and it's impossible to find a 1 bedroom apartment in the downtown core for less than 1,500 a month for example.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vjroB$ said:
Hi All,

As we know that many of us have got the ITAs while thousands of the applicant are about to get their COPR. In order to start a new life in Canada, I was looking out for some help in order to estimate the cost of living in Canada.

Can anybody throw light on the monthly expenses for a family of 2 in Canada?? Or any estimations of how much would be the equivalent expenses in Canada for a monthly expense of Rs. 100,000 in India

Thanks
When we first came to Toronto in late 2012, we had arranged an AirBnb rental in advance for 2 weeks to use while looking for a permanent place. We took a cheap place in Scarborough as our temporary shelter, and boy were we sorry -- it was in the back of a basement, roaches, dirty kitchen! So we found another in North York pretty quickly, though it was more expensive. Still a basement, and far from the subway, but a very nice temporary place. Looking for a permanent apartment was discouraging. The city is huge and sprawling, and unless you have decided to live downtown, it's hard to know where to look. We were shown some MONSTROUS places for $1500 a month. Falling plaster, broken appliances, filthy bathrooms. One had beer bottles stuffed in every closet, in another the oven door fell off when we touched it! Our biggest problem though was one every immigrant faces - in the nicer apartment buildings, they want your work contacts and your Canadian credit report. Of course we didn't have that. We were afraid we were going to have to rent a basement in a private home for a year or so - and we didn't want a basement apartment. Finally, we asked in a pleasantly shabby building in a beautiful neighborhood in the western part of the city. The apartment was 2 bedrooms, huge, clean, and light-filled, though not especially well constructed. All good appliances, no bugs or anything! Convenient to the subway, though it's a long ride downtown. Rent was $1200 and hasn't gone up much since - it's regulated by the city. In our building, bachelors are $900, and 1-bedrooms are $1100. The super liked us and told us she would "sell" us to the landlord even though we were new arrivals, unemployed and without credit records - and she did. We moved into our permanent place a little less than a month after arrival. In addition to kijiji, try Viewit.ca for rentals. Be careful of fakes on both sites, though.

We pay about $75 every 2 months for "hydro", which is what they call electricity - paying separately for electricity is pretty common in Toronto, but it's cheap compared to Europe, anyway. We bought our own window air conditioners after DYING in the heat for a couple of summers. Heat, water, waste removal are included in the rent. We pay another $250 a month for cable TV, unlimited high-speed internet, two smartphone plans with 1 GB data and unlimited Canadian calling, and one basic phone that isn't used very much. Cell phone plans other than the most basic kind seem expensive here compared to Europe and the US - there isn't much competition. We might be able to get internet access more cheaply, but we need it to be reliable as we depend on it for communication, entertainment, and work.

I had to laugh at the post saying since there are fire alarms in every apartment, you should be sure your hob has exhaust. Ours doesn't, and the damn thing goes off every other day! It's good advice. :D

Reactions: Onpoint

ntwkengg

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
in short i can say one thing for a new immigrant it is very tough to get a field job unless he or she has some good contacts and experience and rare skills. Also market looks bad right now due to upcoming recession as per prediction..

Thatswhy CIC wants you guys to have minimum LICO income to bring to Canada. So atleast bring half of the in come what you showed as proof of funds.

And if you want to live well in Canada for a couple atleast you will spend $2000-$3000 per month in all different expenses....

Due to high cost of living and poor job market new comers starts getting frustrated and they end up doing labour jobs here. So please be patient when you land and do a good search before coming here. Try to search your job perspective whether coming here is worth it or not as you have to start from 0 a whole new life.....

And try to search a good job even if it takes 2-3 months keep applying.... ;D ;D ;D

haznac

Jan 29, 2015
Izmir, Turkey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Very informative topic. Thumbs up for all contributors. Here is my little bit:

I visited Toronto about 2 months ago and stayed at a friend residing at Little Italy - I guess you can call that downtown. They are living on the first floor (2 bedrooms) in a 2 story house + basement. Very decent neighborhood. They pay 1500 CAD for rent including hydro. He told me they are having it cheap since they have been living there for quite a while. He said you would probably have to pay around 1800 CAD to get a similar apartment in the same neighborhood.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
haznac said:
Very informative topic. Thumbs up for all contributors. Here is my little bit:

I visited Toronto about 2 months ago and stayed at a friend residing at Little Italy - I guess you can call that downtown. They are living on the first floor (2 bedrooms) in a 2 story house + basement. Very decent neighborhood. They pay 1500 CAD for rent including hydro. He told me they are having it cheap since they have been living there for quite a while. He said you would probably have to pay around 1800 CAD to get a similar apartment in the same neighborhood.
Yes, I think your friend is exactly right. I like Little Italy and the Annex and looked around a bit recently - 1800 for 2 bedrooms is what I found.

A-man

Star Member
Jun 30, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ntwkengg said:
in short i can say one thing for a new immigrant it is very tough to get a field job unless he or she has some good contacts and experience and rare skills. Also market looks bad right now due to upcoming recession as per prediction..

Thatswhy CIC wants you guys to have minimum LICO income to bring to Canada. So atleast bring half of the in come what you showed as proof of funds.

And if you want to live well in Canada for a couple atleast you will spend $2000-$3000 per month in all different expenses....

Due to high cost of living and poor job market new comers starts getting frustrated and they end up doing labour jobs here. So please be patient when you land and do a good search before coming here. Try to search your job perspective whether coming here is worth it or not as you have to start from 0 a whole new life.....

And try to search a good job even if it takes 2-3 months keep applying.... ;D ;D ;D
I agree with you. Never get discouraged just because you couldn't find a job in the first couple of months. It might even take upto an year (may even have to take courses). In the meantime build good people skills (learn about the Canadian way of life) and use it to build a network.

I know what I am going to say next may sound out of reach, but if you could find the hockey team that is celebrated in the city you plan to reside, and genuinely learn about the sport and the team, you will connect well with the locals. Hockey is the most popular and next would be baseball and basketball.

Never give up. No matter how hard and tough it gets. Also be careful of some of your own country men who are here. They may have had a bad experience and try to discourage you, but use your own judgement. If you believe that you came here for a better life, to accomplish your dreams then don't let others pull you down.

Canada is definitely a great country, people are nice and peaceful :).

Good luck in your journeys. ;D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
dobes said:
Yes, I think your friend is exactly right. I like Little Italy and the Annex and looked around a bit recently - 1800 for 2 bedrooms is what I found.
I live in the Annex area (although I don't rent). $1,800 is cheap for a 2 bedroom in the Annex. It's usually at least $2,400 if you want 2 bedrooms and don't want to live in a basement.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
I live in the Annex area (although I don't rent). $1,800 is cheap for a 2 bedroom in the Annex. It's usually at least $2,400 if you want 2 bedrooms and don't want to live in a basement.
Well, we pay $1150 now for a big 2-bedroom in Bloor West Village, so I think we'll stay put! :D