+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused applicant.. Which is which,, INLAND or OUTLAND. Please help.. :)

firsttimemom

Jul 8, 2013
Hi guys,

I just noticed that the processing of the application for inland will take 19months all in all, and the outland will take 15 months.

Here's our case.

I arrived here in Canada, last October 2012 under the live in caregiver program. I have a valid work permit until September 2015. I recently got married last August 24, 2013. 23 weeks pregnant, i,m on EI and will have my ML by January 2014.

We're still gathering the documents needed before submitting the application, together with the OWP application. We hope that we will submit the complete package of application before the end of this year 2013.

Here's my questions that i hope someone can help me and advice me what to do. :)

1. What is the best move to take, is INLAND or OUTLAND?
2. If OUTLAND, can i still apply for OWP?
3. If INLAND, the initial assessment for the application is 11 months and the CIC is working NOVEMBER 2012 applications, what will be my status here in Canada if my work permit expires in SEPTEMBER 2015?
4. If apply INLAND, should I apply VISITOR'S VISA before the end of my work permit?
5. If OUTLAND, Do I need to go back in my home country?
6. What if. I will be able to find a employer here in Canada who will provide me LMO and will have a new work permit, can i stay here in Canada while waiting for the OWP and PR?

Please help and advice. Thank you.. :)

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
If you are SURE that you don't or won't want to visit your home country after the baby is born, I'll submit that 'INLAND' is your best option. (Another member here was crying "woe is me, woe is me" since she couldn't take her baby to see grandma for the duration of her inland app.) So, you submit an application for an OWP along with your 'inland application for PR' and so long as CIC receives it before your work permit expires at least you have 'implied status' until your OWP gets approved. There is no facility for an OWP with an 'OUTLAND' application. Others will likely post more . . .

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
With your work permit valid until September 2015, you're in pretty good shape either way. You should be finished with either process (*should be*) before your permit expires.

Drawbacks:

Inland - takes longer. You are supposed to remain within Canada while the app is being processed. (I *think* with your existing work permit, you can leave Canada and reenter without difficulty, but I'm not at all sure about that.) No appeal process if application is denied.

Outland - no OWP is possible. If an interview is required (if CIC has doubts that your relationship is genuine), you would have to travel back to your home country for the interview.

Advantages:

Inland - can submit OWP application with PR/sponsorship app, which would be approved after stage one. I *think* submitting the OWP app would give you "implied status" to continue working, even if you hadn't received stage one approval by the time your current permit expires. (I don't know much about specific types of work permits; PGWP and IEC work permits are not extendable, and thus do not seem to be eligible for implied status when OWP app is submitted.)

Outland - if you travel outside of Canada, there is no risk of your application being abandoned if you are ever denied reentry to Canada. Shorter timeline for process. Once the decision is made on your application and you get your (visa? COPR? I'm not familiar with the terminology for outland processes), you can EITHER flagpole (drive to the nearest border) OR set an appointment with a local CIC office to complete your landing appointment. Inland applicants have to wait for their local office to set the appointment, and some offices are very slow.

So to answer:

1. Only you can decide.
2. No, OWP only with inland.
3. If you submit OWP with your app, it is *likely* that you will have implied status to continue working.
4. Again, not entirely sure, but I believe this is unnecessary if you submit OWP with your application.
5. Pretty sure you only have to go back to your home country if CIC requests an interview.
6. I don't really know anything about LMO, except that it's often very difficult to find a company willing to get one.

firsttimemom

Jul 8, 2013
truesmile said:
If you are SURE that you don't or won't want to visit your home country after the baby is born, I'll submit that 'INLAND' is your best option. (Another member here was crying "woe is me, woe is me" since she couldn't take her baby to see grandma for the duration of her inland app.) So, you submit an application for an OWP along with your 'inland application for PR' and so long as CIC receives it before your work permit expires at least you have 'implied status' until your OWP gets approved. There is no facility for an OWP with an 'OUTLAND' application. Others will likely post more . . .
Thank you so much for your advice!

QuebecOkie said:
With your work permit valid until September 2015, you're in pretty good shape either way. You should be finished with either process (*should be*) before your permit expires.

Drawbacks:

Inland - takes longer. You are supposed to remain within Canada while the app is being processed. (I *think* with your existing work permit, you can leave Canada and reenter without difficulty, but I'm not at all sure about that.) No appeal process if application is denied.

Outland - no OWP is possible. If an interview is required (if CIC has doubts that your relationship is genuine), you would have to travel back to your home country for the interview.

Advantages:

Inland - can submit OWP application with PR/sponsorship app, which would be approved after stage one. I *think* submitting the OWP app would give you "implied status" to continue working, even if you hadn't received stage one approval by the time your current permit expires. (I don't know much about specific types of work permits; PGWP and IEC work permits are not extendable, and thus do not seem to be eligible for implied status when OWP app is submitted.)

Outland - if you travel outside of Canada, there is no risk of your application being abandoned if you are ever denied reentry to Canada. Shorter timeline for process. Once the decision is made on your application and you get your (visa? COPR? I'm not familiar with the terminology for outland processes), you can EITHER flagpole (drive to the nearest border) OR set an appointment with a local CIC office to complete your landing appointment. Inland applicants have to wait for their local office to set the appointment, and some offices are very slow.

So to answer:

1. Only you can decide.
2. No, OWP only with inland.
3. If you submit OWP with your app, it is *likely* that you will have implied status to continue working.
4. Again, not entirely sure, but I believe this is unnecessary if you submit OWP with your application.
5. Pretty sure you only have to go back to your home country if CIC requests an interview.
6. I don't really know anything about LMO, except that it's often very difficult to find a company willing to get one.
Thank you for your response.. Well I guess we should appy INLAND as we're not considering in visiting my home country, but planning to invite my mother to come over here in Canada as tourist, because I want her to be with my son in his Christening next year.

My mom is in the Philippines, can she apply online, or can I apply her online for tourist visa?

Thank you

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
If you do decide to go inland sponsorship, depending on your type of work permit. If your work permit was obtained through LMO, you don't really have to submit your OWP with application. It is recommended though. If you didn't submit OWP, you will be able to work past your work permit expire date, continue working until you get PR status. The catch here is that you are stuck with the same employer for the entire time of the PR process. You cannot switch employers. If you do submit your OWP application with the PR forms, you will get the ability to switch employers without needing another LMO if you so desire to once you get OWP status. One of the advantages of applying for OWP even though you already have a work permit.

Screech339