+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confessions of a Student in Canada

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
faridshariff said:
hi, thanx for the excellent knowledge..

I wanted to ask this..there are too many students taking admission each sem..and I guess many of them must be looking for on campus job..can you please tell me how does the college go about this?
On campus jobs are usually very very limited and short term/ temporary. There are no guarantees. Here's why:
* the pay for on-campus jobs is usually better than what you would get off campus
* everyone will be applying for these jobs as its very convenient to walk to work after classes
* They can be short term and are usually your hours are tailored to your class schedule

Universities may restrict on-campus jobs to international students only, but not all of them do this. so you may have to compete with canadian students.

My advice would be not to bank on paying for your expenses through a job (on/ off campus) for the first 6 months to a year. Use this time to network, join student societies etc, do some on-campus volunteering if you can, drop by the on-campus career center for a chat every now and then. You might get lucky and someone might refer you to a job or hook you up with a job where they work. You will be amazed how many job opportunities pop up from your network circle.

Splurgenxs

Star Member
Feb 26, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Very insightful posts and kudos to the OP fr taking the time to help out.

Anyways , im looking to join Sheridan colledge (Oak Ville) fr a 1 year post grad ,Game lvl Design degree. Already have extensive training in core+adv Java RTE,but tht all i have, no experience tht translates on paper.

im looking to get placed with some prestigious dev studios like Pirahnah ,ubi etc but im not sure if Sheridan would get me there. I frankly dont wana jump from one Punjabi pind to the next.

Im loking fr the fastest way tht would get me up and running asap and earning some much needed exp.

What do u suggest would be the easiest way i could chk my eligibility in Candian Univs and Colledges.

nikhil12345

Feb 13, 2013
Hi Just do it...
firstly thanks a lot for your valuable info.. Im Nikhil.. i completed my b.tech (Computer Science).. My knowledge in the field of health sciences is nil.. many people suggested me to take health informatics but i have no idea about that subject! Is it related to my field and can a student from computer science field excel in health informatics?
Thanku!

Splurgenxs

Star Member
Feb 26, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nikhil12345 said:
Hi Just do it...
firstly thanks a lot for your valuable info.. Im Nikhil.. i completed my b.tech (Computer Science).. My knowledge in the field of health sciences is nil.. many people suggested me to take health informatics but i have no idea about that subject! Is it related to my field and can a student from computer science field excel in health informatics?
Thanku!
having completed Computer sciences yd u wana join Health silences? Apni C++ ke bad PHP /Web design/ Javva ime se kuch ki training lo aur join some cse field tht excites u?

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Health Information is related to Comp Scie to some extent. Depends on what you want to focus on.

i believe if you do masters you can choose a stream of your liking (if available).

Look for jobs in health informatics on monster or workopolis, specially the tech jobs in this field. It will give you an idea of what skills are required. But there is definitely scope for programmers in this area.

As for gaming, i believe most gaming is C++/C, so you might want o brush up on those if you want a chance of getting into the big studios. But chances are still very slim of getting hired as a developer so you might have to start at a lower level such as a tester and work your way up.

there are smaller gaming firms who build mobile games, apps and stuff that you can probably look into for jobs etc. If you are serious about gaming, start building small simple games , a portfolio that you can show prospective employers when job hunting. Game design is like any other art and you need a personal portfolio to really stand out.

Splurgenxs

Star Member
Feb 26, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As for gaming, i believe most gaming is C++/C, so you might want o brush up on those if you want a chance of getting into the big studios. But chances are still very slim of getting hired as a developer so you might have to start at a lower level such as a tester and work your way up.

there are smaller gaming firms who build mobile games, apps and stuff that you can probably look into for jobs etc. If you are serious about gaming, start building small simple games , a portfolio that you can show prospective employers when job hunting. Game design is like any other art and you need a personal portfolio to really stand out.
aah thx fr the reply, well C++ is something u do before Java(usually) so i have tht down completely,

i get the fact that id need a portfolio,
but the thing im anxious about is if colleges tht handle Indian student via Emigration services like Oceanic and Canam ,are any good?like i got excepted In Sheridan college tht touts itself to be the best fr animation.

Does going to a good college (irrespective of what ur college grades are) any factor in getting a good placement?

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Splurgenxs said:
aah thx fr the reply, well C++ is something u do before Java(usually) so i have tht down completely,

i get the fact that id need a portfolio,
but the thing im anxious about is if colleges tht handle Indian student via Emigration services like Oceanic and Canam ,are any good?like i got excepted In Sheridan college tht touts itself to be the best fr animation.

Does going to a good college (irrespective of what ur college grades are) any factor in getting a good placement?
not necessarily, i learnt java without any exposure to C/ C++ and this was following a degree curriculum.

anyways, i'm always a little wary of the colleges that consultants push you to attend. They are probably more concerned with whats in it for them than whats in it for you. for e.g. they may get a better commission from one college or it may have a better visa grant rate which affects their approval rate to attract future students and so on.

colleges like sheridan, Seneca etc have hoardes of Indian students going there every semester. to be honest, i would stay away from these places because i believe the real sense of education gets lost eventually when the school does everything to maximize the student income by offering more programs to attract a wider crowd. There's a difference between offering a program and offering a good education. Just my opinion.

As for getting into the gaming industry, you never know. There are some studios in Canada (EA in Vancouver and a few in montreal) but the majority of big studios are in LA i think. So if you are serious about a career in this field, i would go to a reputable school to get a meaningful education like Vancouver Film School or the Art institute of Vancouver. These have been in existence for a while and probably have better industry links than Sheridan.

But if getting a diploma + PGWP + PR is all you mainly care about, than do whatever fits the purpose.

eagle89

Dec 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
just_do_it said:
Having been a visa student in Canada for 6 years, i thought it would be a good idea to share experiences for prospective students to help them clear any misconceptions etc and get a better idea of what to expect.

I came here back in 2002 when the trend was to go to Australia for education. I would have done the same if it wasen't for family pressure to send me somewhere i had relatives to keep an eye on me. Being a 18 year old male has its consequences i guess.

So i started my journey at University of Victoria. Canada, in the beginning, was exactly what i expected, although a little too cold for april.
It was beautiful, CLEAN, friendly people, beautiful women who smile at you if you stare at them. What is going on? Nobody is giving me dirty looks if i look at them longer than the customary 1 second glance. Its easy to get carried away and think a beautiful 'Gori' may be interested if she smiles at you. But that's just the warm and friendly culture canadians have, nothing else.

University was interesting, sometimes easy and sometimes frustrating. You had to be on the top of your game at all times. You slack for a little too long and end up at the bottom of the roster. Trust me, been there done that. If you are here to study, focus on it and make sure you get good grades because your life after graduation will be eventually affected by how you do in school.

It was fun and worth it to pick up on campus jobs working in the student cafeteria or services offices. It's not a lot of money but its valuable canadian work experience which again will prove to be beneficial later on. Also, don't bank of working your way through your education because its just not feasible. If you somehow are able to work enough to make up your tution fee, you wont be spending a lot of time in classes. So whats the point.

I was a little apprehensive about the co-op/ internship program at first. Having never had applied for a job or went for an interview, it was very intimidating at first. But thank god for the support available through student job centres, advisors etc. even if i didnt get a job offer in the first semester, it was a good experience in job interviews which will play a very important role later on.

At times, i missed home (even though i lived with relatives) but it was more of hanging out with friends and people from your neck of the woods (punjabi speakers in my case). Not having a lot of indian students at my university, i spent most of my time with canadians which again works to your benefit as i will explain later.

It's important to visit home at the 2nd year anniversary mark to re-charge and get motivated again by visiting your family. If nothing else, being told that you are doing a great job with your life instills that ever important purpose and drive to your efforts. It also gives you a chance to knock back and blow off some steam with your old friends. Life is not all about work and money since they are both renewable but time lost is not.

so long story short, i had a blast during my years as a student. Had a lot of good and bad experiences and they all ultimately led to me being who i am, what i am and who i will be.

so things to take from this mindless rant are:

1. Don't expect too much and you will not be disappointed.

2. work hard in school and get good grades as they will help you later on in securing jobs/ internships etc and even scholarships. go for a university if you can. they usually have better resources and more employers willing to hire students on work terms.

3. Go for the co-op/ internship program. Interview experience with employers is very important and helps prepare you. If you get a co-op job, thats even better. I had a 16 month paid internship; i got canadian work experience out of it and made enough to cover for my 2 years worth tution fees. Dont be limited by geographical restrictions, take a chance. If you get a job offer working in Northern canada where there is nothing but snow, take it. Its an opportunity and you are building up experience (and will probably get paid more if you work in those areas).

4. Take advantage of all the resources available to you to succeed at university. Student advisors, math labs, english labs etc and your professors are excellent resources. I would also recommend TA's but in my experience they are jerks (being post grad students with a big chip on their shoulders and expect you to magically know everything).

5. Don't bank on working your way to pay for your education. you will be ruining your chances in the long term by focussing on the short term. Trust me, i have seen enough guys do that to graduate with either really bad grades or meaningless degrees/ diploma's that wont help you get a job at Mcdonalds.

6. Spend time with canadians, helps you improve your english and lose that ever present indian accent. also helps in networking and getting assimilated into the canadian culture.

7. enjoy your time here; it can the very best in your life if you want it to be. Don't worry too much about the distant future and things like Permanent residency. focus on your present and everything will work out in the future.
hats off sir,

just bring such kind of info......just bring it.

thanks a ton.

Splurgenxs

Star Member
Feb 26, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
not necessarily, i learnt java without any exposure to C/ C++ and this was following a degree curriculum.

anyways, i'm always a little wary of the colleges that consultants push you to attend. They are probably more concerned with whats in it for them than whats in it for you. for e.g. they may get a better commission from one college or it may have a better visa grant rate which affects their approval rate to attract future students and so on.

colleges like sheridan, Seneca etc have hoardes of Indian students going there every semester. to be honest, i would stay away from these places because i believe the real sense of education gets lost eventually when the school does everything to maximize the student income by offering more programs to attract a wider crowd. There's a difference between offering a program and offering a good education. Just my opinion.

As for getting into the gaming industry, you never know. There are some studios in Canada (EA in Vancouver and a few in montreal) but the majority of big studios are in LA i think. So if you are serious about a career in this field, i would go to a reputable school to get a meaningful education like Vancouver Film School or the Art institute of Vancouver. These have been in existence for a while and probably have better industry links than Sheridan.

But if getting a diploma + PGWP + PR is all you mainly care about, than do whatever fits the purpose.

Well another problem, i followed up on ur advice and applied fr some good colleges ie Art Institute in Vancouver and Center fr Digital media in Vancouver as well.

But the catch with this (at least what im hearing) is tht u don't get a work permit if u study at a private institution.IS this true.

What would u advise me to do from here?

plz help.

Eternally grateful =)

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Splurgenxs said:
Well another problem, i followed up on ur advice and applied fr some good colleges ie Art Institute in Vancouver and Center fr Digital media in Vancouver as well.

But the catch with this (at least what im hearing) is tht u don't get a work permit if u study at a private institution.IS this true.

plz help.

Eternally grateful =)
Are these private schools?

Hmm, didnt know.

Try this- http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca/cas/0template1.php?905

But keep in mind, in the end you will only get 1 thing.. an education you cherish, or work permit/ PR. You'd be very lucky to have it both ways.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Splurgenxs said:

plz help.

Eternally grateful =)

1. If you graduate from a private school, you won't be eligible for a PGWP and PR options under PNP/CEC.

krishnanrao21

Star Member
Nov 26, 2012
Thnx bro for the useful info u have provide, can u pl provide some info regarding education system in canada. Iam planing for pg diploma in Market rearcfromh and analytics Centennial college, I heard they have assignments , projects , mid term and final exam , how are the exam are they tough to crack?.