+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confessions of a Student in Canada

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think it would be best to arrange some sort of on-campus accomodation through your school. If they do not have an on-campus residence, they can surely help you find suitable residence for the first few months untill you figure things out.

You can even try homestay for a few months although it won't be cheap.

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
COURSE/ SCHOOL/ JOB PROSPECTS ETC. DECISIONS! DECISIONS!

I guess this is the most important part of the decision making process... what school to select and what course to apply for that ultimately leeds you to maximize your job prospects.

#1. Decide what you want to do. If you are interested in a specific area (IT, business, accounting etc) than that should make it easy. All you have to do now is find a good school with a good reputation.

If you do not have interest in a specific area, than you have to look at what would be beneficial for you in the long run. Do research on what has been in demand and what will be in demand in the next decade in canada. a good place to start is canada's labour market information: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/lminfo/index.shtml

General rule of thumb is that anything in IT is always going to be in demand. So will be professional degrees like medicine, law etc. trades are in high demand throughout the country but not sure how an international student will fit into the trade/ apprentice program since its mostly work experience and less course work.

At the moment, oil fields work in alberta is the place to be. so if you can get into a program (preferably in alberta) with anything to do with working in oilfields, do it. Thats where the money is right now and probably will be for the next 5-10 years. I know people who have done 2 year programs from alberta colleges and are making $100k + a year working for oil companies.

#2. Selecting the school is very important as it will effect the opportunities and resources available to you during your job search phase. Generally, the bigger the school, better resources are available. University education is preferred by employers but if an employer has had good experience hiring students from a local college, they may keep going back. But a university credential gives you more leverage overall.

Colleges are fine too and most are a little cheaper than university but not by a huge margin. University Colleges have a better reputation than colleges. Co-op employers also prefer advertising jobs at university colleges and universities to increase their application intake pool. the more students applying for jobs, more leverage they have and more options they have. Colleges will usually only have access to local employers and local jobs while universities attract employers from all over the country. So thats something to consider.

One thing you can consider is that if you are going for a 4 year bachelors degree program, its worth looking into doing the first 2 years at a local college. Most of the time, you can transfer credits and go into 3rd year at a local university after completing the first 2 years at a college. But make sure it can be done and there is some sort of arrangement between the college and the university. The benefit of that is you will do the first 2 years cheaper, with a smaller class size and with less intimidation and to some extent, easier too.

The college fee structure is also something to look into. The college i went to used to charge students a set fee for full time. Once you register in 4 or more courses in a semester, you pay a set full time fee. It did not matter if you took 4, 5, 6 or even 7 courses. So i took 7 courses each term (was not easy) and finished a 2 year program in 1.5 years and saved a semester's tution fee. Universities however charge per course, so no tricks there.

#3. Making yourself marketable while job hunting is very important. Canadian work experience is what matters the most. Might aswell forget about your work experience from where-ever you are. Even then, it can be difficult to land your first job. I know i had hell of time looking for my first job, even after getting a Bachelor in Comp Science and 16 months of co-op. You have to stand out from the rest. Good grades on your transcript are a plus but not all employers ask for it. Its what is on your resume that will get you noticed. So here are some tips:

1. Become part of a student club. anything, that shows you have a sense of community involvement and are a social person. and by a club, i do not mean some indo-canadian bhangra club or something (there was a bhangra club at my university called the Jalebi Club or something....ridiculous), better if it has something to do with a social cause or student services or something.

2. Volunteer as much as you can. I used to volunteer for new student orientations. you just take a bunch of new students and show them around campus. It's fun and you meet new people and make friends (work on your public speaking skills).

If you can, volunteer off campus doing things related to your course work. for e.g. if you are in IT, volunteer some organization to setup/ maintain their website, teach seniors basic computing skills like email and stuff and etc. It looks very good on your resume and you feel good about it too. Karma points FTW! You can usually find volunteer opportunities in your city through student services or just google.

3. Go to job/ trade fairs in your city. Even if its a job fair at another university, still go. Take a bunch of copies of your resume's. Talk to company representatives and ask questions regarding the company, their products, company culture, opportunities, their vision etc. Most of the times, people representing their companies are the recruiters themselves. If you show genuine interest, they will show interest back in you. hand out your resume's to every employer you talk to. You can even find out what they are looking for in potential employees. That can give you an idea of how to upgrade your skills for the future. Best part, they also hand out free stuff at these fair's like pens, t-shirts, bags, caps etc.

4. As i have said numerous times before, go for co-op/ internship if available. This is where universities have an upper hand over colleges as universities usually have a solid co-op program. It is even mandatory in some programs like engineering and some masters degrees. You will come across all sorts of employers during your co-op job hunt. The job description is usually blown up in terms of the requirements but that is only an indication of the ideal candidate, does not mean they expect the applicants to have all the listed skills. so if you meet some or most of the requirements, go for it. If nothing, you can atleast get an interview out of it which is a valuable experience in itself.

Also, the type of employer you work for can affect your future job chances. In most cases, the company you have done your co-op with will be more than willing to hire you on a permanent basis (if they are hiring). Smaller companies seem to be more loyal in that respect compared to big companies that have a huge employee turnover (this is just my opinion). But your goal should be to land A job. and make sure its relevant. I have seen electrical engineering students working as Software testers on their co-ops. That is not relevant at all and probably wont help you land an engineering job after graduation.

So in a nutshell, try to get involved as much as you can. It's all relevant stuff you can put on your resume and make yourself stand out from those who just have their transcript to show.

Lucky LALI

Star Member
Aug 10, 2012
Visa Office......
CHD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 oct 12
IELTS Request
VISA ISSUED...
29 oct 12
LANDED..........
soon....
hello ,Just do it

i took admission in centennial college in mech. engg. design course (relevant to my 1 year work exp. as a design engineer after b.tech-mechanical) .. flying soon..
so what u advice me , to go for co/op if it is available in my college.
would it be fine if i work on cash there for first 6 months..

what are my chances of getting a job (relevant to my field) after completing my studies, ?
i have heard there are more chances of getting good job in Saskatchewan and Manitoba regions.,.is it true?

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lucky LALI said:
hello ,Just do it

i took admission in centennial college in mech. engg. design course (relevant to my 1 year work exp. as a design engineer after b.tech-mechanical) .. flying soon..
so what u advice me , to go for co/op if it is available in my college.
would it be fine if i work on cash there for first 6 months..

what are my chances of getting a job (relevant to my field) after completing my studies, ?
i have heard there are more chances of getting good job in Saskatchewan and Manitoba regions.,.is it true?
Anything related to engineering is a good field as far as i know, so your chances of finding a job are pretty good. Definitely go for co-op if its available.

Working for cash is illegal. So i wouldnt recommend it. If you get caught, your visa will be cancelled, you will be deported and banned. So it's not worth it brother. Wait 6 months for your off-campus work permit.

Saskatchewan and Manitoba have booming economies, so is Alberta's. So keep your options open when looking for jobs and go where-ever you can find a job.

Good Luck.

sue_in

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
15-09-2012 (Band 8 )
File Transfer...
03-10-2012
Med's Done....
25-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-10-2012
just_do_it said:
I would also recommend TA's but in my experience they are jerks (being post grad students with a big chip on their shoulders and expect you to magically know everything).
Ouch! that hurt! :) Anyways, it was a good and rational writeup. Nice to hear how you have sailed through -and apparently, quite successfully :) A nice blog post summing up different posts would have been awesome. Something like AngryFrenchGuy..Eh?

sidshah21

Nov 23, 2012
@JUSTDOIT

does influence work while going for job..??
if gone for interview through any relative who has good base in Canada, does it help?
what u used to do for enjoyment..??
your post really motivated me.. thanks for your your efforts for portraying true picture.. god bless

yuyu

Aug 25, 2012
thanks !! its really insightful posts here where i seldom see anywhere!!

i m hoping to study in newfoundland but are rly unsure of the prospects :(

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sue_in said:
Ouch! that hurt! :) Anyways, it was a good and rational writeup. Nice to hear how you have sailed through -and apparently, quite successfully :) A nice blog post summing up different posts would have been awesome. Something like AngryFrenchGuy..Eh?
I know.. i have heard a lot of good things about TA's... but all the one's i have ever had were tools.
But an excellent resource nonetheless.

a blog would be convenient i guess, AngryIndianGuy, but it would mean more commitment than i am willing to

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sidshah21 said:
@ JUSTDOIT

does influence work while going for job..??
if gone for interview through any relative who has good base in Canada, does it help?
what u used to do for enjoyment..??
your post really motivated me.. thanks for your your efforts for portraying true picture.. god bless
Influence... you mean Sifarish?

hahahaha, you wish... if you know people through networking, you may get an easier opportunity for an interview, but you are still scrutinized the same as any other job applicant (atleast i hope that's the case, Thank god canada does not work like India).

Have faith in yourself brother, that's the beauty of Canada; you don't need influential relatives to get a job.

vinitmenon

Nov 1, 2012
just_do_it hats off to u man :)

read thru all ur posts and loved em a lot.. specially the part which said anything related to oil and alberta :D

going to uni of alberta for masters in petroleum engineering..

will try and get a co-op for summers.. already have 3.5 years of exp in india in petrochemical company, need 1 year exp on canadian soil in petroleum industry and then i can apply for Professional Engineer license.

hope i get a part-time job on campus from jan as now i am used to living on my own :( without asking mom dad for money....

uamir3

Star Member
Jun 2, 2012
Lahore,Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
ChC..islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks all of you who gave such a beneficial information....love you bros

Lucky LALI

Star Member
Aug 10, 2012
Visa Office......
CHD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 oct 12
IELTS Request
VISA ISSUED...
29 oct 12
LANDED..........
soon....
just_do_it said:
Anything related to engineering is a good field as far as i know, so your chances of finding a job are pretty good. Definitely go for co-op if its available.

Working for cash is illegal. So i wouldnt recommend it. If you get caught, your visa will be cancelled, you will be deported and banned. So it's not worth it brother. Wait 6 months for your off-campus work permit.

Saskatchewan and Manitoba have booming economies, so is Alberta's. So keep your options open when looking for jobs and go where-ever you can find a job.

Good Luck.
Thanks.. JUST DO IT :D

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
reviving an old thread but thought it might help some prospective students in helping choose a field with ab right future.

I have been reading a lot about this due to my nature of work in the Health sector, but if you are still looking for areas of study and not sure about what to choose, do look into Health Informatics or Health Information Science.

its basically everything to do with IT and management in the health sector, which is a huge part of every province's management.

Canada (and other countries) spend billions in their health sectors and are constantly trying to improve it, so lots of jobs currently and a projected increase in this area in the next 10-20 years. Besides, once you become an expert in the field, you can go just about anywhere in the world and get a job.

As an example, Uvic has a bachelors/ Masters degree in this: http://www.uvic.ca/hsd/hinf/

worth looking into.

shebaby

Star Member
Nov 22, 2012
Whoo!!!!Just Do It , U really nailed it!!! Thumps up. I am coming to canada for a post gradute certificate in Fanshawe college London Ontario.I hope to experience a good time. Onec again thanks for the insight

faridshariff

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any idea about the Construction Industry? I am planning PG Certificate from George brown college
i am a BE Civil with 3 yrs exprnc
Grades not good enough for universities nor my finances..