+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Spouse is legally married in Philippines. Can I bring her to Canada?

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yup good advise!

Actually I've got her more convinced that we should visit, even if it's just for a meet & greet. She even talked to her parents already about it :)
The other good news is I found some airline tickets in both our names from a previous vacation we took together.

So the proof of us being and living together should be no problem as we have lots. I think it will just be the proof of intending to stay together while in Canada that may be challenging. How would one do that I wonder.

M

mrsh

@Boracay,I suggest you should write your love story in your perspective and also of your partner's version. And include to the application. In her part she'll write from being forced to marry her ex, that the ex left and how their marriage didn't work out.She needs to be honest as possible, and then about how she fell in love easily to you, how she looks forward to have a family with you, etc. As you've said you need to convince the visa officer that she'll stay with you in Canada. Do you and your partner have the same belief? For example tell them you both grew up in a christian church, the center of a relationship should be God and know the value of a family. Do you have the same hobbies? For example you both love motorcycles and enjoy riding and racing together. Try to think as many as you can in order to say you're both satisfied, enjoying each other's company and certain that you'll grow old together.

Apr 26, 2017
Hi, i am a filipina legally married here in the Philippines to a filipino, my husband lives in canada now, and has a new wife/ common law wife, what legal actios can i take aginst them, can they both be deported back to the Philippines, please help me with this as i am not familiar with the canadian laws

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Gabriela Salas said:
Hi, i am a filipina legally married here in the Philippines to a filipino, my husband lives in canada now, and has a new wife/ common law wife, what legal actios can i take aginst them, can they both be deported back to the Philippines, please help me with this as i am not familiar with the canadian laws
You can't do anything. If she is Canadian and they are common-law (having lived together 12 months) then he can be sponsored for PR despite the fact he is still legally married. After 1 year in Canada, he can file for divorce if he wants to based on Canadian laws.

There is nothing you can do from immigration point of view, except to move on with your life.

If there are kids and spousal support involved, then you would need to talk to a family lawyer.

Apr 26, 2017
hi thank you again for your replies, if i can produce evidence that they did married there can they be charge for bigamy? Another thing my husband wants to take our children away from me, her sister took my children for medical exam without letting me know and they did forge my signature for the consent :( :( :(

Apr 27, 2020
Yup good advise!

Actually I've got her more convinced that we should visit, even if it's just for a meet & greet. She even talked to her parents already about it :)
The other good news is I found some airline tickets in both our names from a previous vacation we took together.

So the proof of us being and living together should be no problem as we have lots. I think it will just be the proof of intending to stay together while in Canada that may be challenging. How would one do that I wonder.
Hey! I am wondering what happened and if you succeeded and if you have advice on the process? I am in a similar situation, however am moving back to Canada (im canadian) and am hoping he can come on a working visa or foreign temporary working visa so we can live together for a year and become common law. He recently separated from his wife as well .... would love to chat with you more about the process so i know what is possible and how to prepare everything from the beginning!