Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
None needed
LANDED..........
13-02-2014 Whoop Whoop !
Here is my question....... My husband of 8 years is Canadian , and has been living in Arizona for 10 years now . We are in the midst of getting all my paperwork done, actually just waiting for fingerprints to come back , and then we send it all to Mississauga . We are planning to drive up with our own Uhaul with a boat and our vehicle . We plan on going through Buffalo . If we have all our stuff on paper ( I<E< value of everything ) what else do we need to make sure we do ? I know I need to make sure that my PR is being processed before we can go , but I don't want to show up at border and get turned away....... any ideas ??

:eek: Thanks ......

Reflectoman

Jan 4, 2013
Laval
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad (Wife)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 2011
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
(Stage 1 + Stage 2)=23 months
are you planning to move into canada and then process your application as an inland sponsorship?

AnaMaria

May 2, 2012
New Westminster, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012!
I don't know if it is a good idea that you will cross the boarder with him with Uhaul. I suppose they are all under his name? The point is you SHOULD NOT MOVE until you are approved. Your husband certainly can return to his country and you can certainly visit him. There are successful cases without any problem but may invite suspicion and scrutiny for sure.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You should travel on your own.

If you try and enter as a visitor with him, you may well be bounced at the border, application or not...
They would reasonably conclude that you were intending not to leave the country at the end of your visit.

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
SadieRoo said:
we are not planning to go until everything is sent in from here, and I get something to say it in process or something. When we go with a haul, ( cheaper and easier than a moving company from here ) will Canada immigration give us a hard time with contents in truck ?
I know it's not quite the same, but I entered Canada by air with my wife before my application was complete. I brought with me my receipt for the application, my file number, and proof of funds for a return flight. They asked me a few questions about it but I was just honest about it and said that I intended to wait out the rest of the PR processing time in Canada with my wife. We've already done 8 months of separation in the past when she was waiting for her UK visa. Couldn't face it again!

Bottom line is though, it's at the discretion of the immigration officer at the border. I don't think they give American citizens too much trouble though usually.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
SadieRoo said:
we are not planning to go until everything is sent in from here, and I get something to say it in process or something. When we go with a haul, ( cheaper and easier than a moving company from here ) will Canada immigration give us a hard time with contents in truck ?
As was stated, you (the applicant) should not officially MOVE to Canada, until your application is COMPLETED and you have the COPR. I guess you are applying outland, so during the entire application process you are only allowed to VISIT Canada.

If you go across the border and tell the immigration officer you will be MOVING or LIVING in Canada, it doesn't matter if you have an application in process, they may deny you entry if they think you don't intend to leave Canada. Make sure you only say VISITING.

That is the risk trying to drive over the border with a Uhaul full of stuff. In some cases they may let you across no problem, in others you could be in for a hard time since it's kind of obvious you don't intend to leave. Totally depends on the feelings of border officer and what kind of day they're having. IMO it would be safer if your husband drove the Uhaul over by himself since he's already Canadian, and you came separately.

Other issue you have to be careful of is duties and taxes. Not sure the exact rules, but your husband may be required to pay duties/taxes on some of your stuff in the Uhaul coming into Canada if you guys claim it's all his stuff. As a new PR you would be able to import anything into Canada for free, but for this you must wait till you have COPR in hand and can officially "land" here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I agree with the other recommendations here. Have your husband drive over the border with the u-haul alone. You should fly in separately.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I think the caution is because you said
I know I need to make sure that my PR is being processed before we can go , but I don't want to show up at border and get turned away.......
and
we are not planning to go until everything is sent in from here, and I get something to say it in process or something.
Having "something in progress is not enough". You MUST have fully completed the process and have a physical copy of the COPR before you can take any risks. If you jump prematurely, you are taking a big chance. I think all the previous posts are quite clear on this.

You state
I dont plan on going until I get approved.
but this conflicts with your previous comments. Could you clarify your exact timeline?

IslandAnnie

Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-11-2012
File Transfer...
29-11-2012
Med's Done....
14-11-2012
Passport Req..
08-05-2013 never received, pp submitted 09-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
22-08-2013
If you have your B4 forms (lists) your should be ok for your belongings in the UHaul. You will need to have everything done for importing the vehicle and boat. There are lots of posts on here about importing. From what I understand it's a lot of paperwork (some documents need to be submitted before arriving at the border) and there are some costs involved (I think in the $250 - $300 range.) This thread has great info about bringing your vehicle. http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/got-copr-landing-questions-and-vehicle-concerns-t136260.0.html;msg2106801#msg2106801

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
SadieRoo said:
I dont plan on going until I get approved. All I wanted to know is weather Canada customs will give us a hard time when we come in our own truck. If I am approved than why would I have a problem ? plus since he has been gone for 10 yrs he should not have to pay taxes or duty on our furniture and belongings...... We also have 2 vehicles and a boat to bring with us.......
You are giving conflicting info, as above you stated "I know I need to make sure that my PR is being processed before we can go" and "we are not planning to go until everything is sent in from here, and I get something to say it in process or something."

This makes it sound like you will be going when your application is just "in process", and not after final approvals and receipt of COPR.

Anyways if you have COPR in hand, then there are no issues whatsoever. You can bring as much stuff as you want, just make sure to fill out the proper B4 custom forms first. See here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-border.asp

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
There is also the possibility that (depending on Canadian law and legal precedent) they may take the view that you, as a married couple, hold all assets in common.
Therefore, if you are not yet entitled to import the contents that you are bringing in as a new PR, they might decide to tax you on 50% of the value of the contents, with his 50% being tax exempt. Just some food for thought...

kika3

Mar 5, 2013
I have question cant someone help me how to faind a job for me and my husband we are from Croatia
and we want a move in Canada work and live we have one son . My husband is draiver of big car's and me i a house ceping. Every help is precious to me. Thank you .