+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship requirements.

Kems_1

Sep 25, 2024
Hello friends,

I have a few questions regarding citizenship as I have almost reached my 3 out of 5 years of PR.

- I currently have Dutch and Turkish citizenship. I am aware that if i take on Canadian citizenship i might lose these. Does Canada allow me to have 3 citizenships? Can Canada deny me citizenship based on whether or not these other 2 countries allow triple citizenship?

- In Turkey you need to perform mandatory military service. I have never lived in Turkey nor do I plan on living there or serving the army there. Will this cause any issues in my application, and will they ask me any questions in the application regarding this?

- My sponsor and I have seperated, but we intend on getting back together eventually. Will this cause any issues?

- I have lost my COPR. I know i need it to claim benefits when i'm older but do i need it for this application or ceremony?

- I am a member of the Canadian Armed Forces. Does this impact my application in any way?

- Would you recommend Celpip LS? I am fluent in English.

- are the application process and the forms easy, or would one suggest hiring a lawyer?

Thank you all so much!

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello friends,

I have a few questions regarding citizenship as I have almost reached my 3 out of 5 years of PR.

- I currently have Dutch and Turkish citizenship. I am aware that if i take on Canadian citizenship i might lose these. Does Canada allow me to have 3 citizenships? Can Canada deny me citizenship based on whether or not these other 2 countries allow triple citizenship?

- In Turkey you need to perform mandatory military service. I have never lived in Turkey nor do I plan on living there or serving the army there. Will this cause any issues in my application, and will they ask me any questions in the application regarding this?

- My sponsor and I have seperated, but we intend on getting back together eventually. Will this cause any issues?

- I have lost my COPR. I know i need it to claim benefits when i'm older but do i need it for this application or ceremony?

- I am a member of the Canadian Armed Forces. Does this impact my application in any way?

- Would you recommend Celpip LS? I am fluent in English.

- are the application process and the forms easy, or would one suggest hiring a lawyer?

Thank you all so much!
Things I know answers for -
- Canada allows dual or multiple citizenships, so you can hold Canadian citizenship alongside your Dutch and Turkish citizenship. You should be checking the other way round.
- COPR is not needed but PR card is needed during oath ceremony.
- Being a member of the Canadian Armed Forces may positively impact your application, as it demonstrates your commitment to Canada.
- If you medium of instruction for your studies was English. You can use that too. If you had language result submitted for PR, you can use that too even if they are expired. Otherwise CELPIP-G LS or IELTS would be needed
- Lawyer is not needed. If you get stuck while filling forms check the forum, you will find answers for most of the queries.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
In regard to the citizenship application, Canada doesn't care how my citizenships you have, about the military service you never had elsewhere or about your relationship status.
Also, the COPR isn't needed for the application.

Being a member of the Forces impacts the application positively, as you can claim physical presence for days outside Canada if sent by the army.

Any proof of language here would be acceptable : https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=571&top=5

And finally, the application is very easy and very straightforward. Keep your money for something else.

Jealously1314

Nov 11, 2022
Hello, Planning to submit the application very soon. I have a question on the online form. I lived in Canada straight for 1098 days but was in another country for the last 8 years before that and never came back until 2021. I was a PR since year 2005. In this case, how to fill the 5-year eligibility on “date you left Canada”? Should I put the date 8 years ago or date in 5-year eligibility (which is from 2019 till Sep 2021). Very appreciate if you guys can help :)

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
I suppose you left with your Canadian spouse, thus kept your PR after 8 years outside Canada.
If the system allows for a date before the 5 years eligibility, do that. If not, put the 1st day of your eligibility and add an explanation letter saying that you're not claiming that 1st day of presence and only did it for system limitation reasons.

Reactions: Jealously1314

Kems_1

Sep 25, 2024
Things I know answers for -
- Canada allows dual or multiple citizenships, so you can hold Canadian citizenship alongside your Dutch and Turkish citizenship. You should be checking the other way round.
Howdy, so i spoke to a lawyer out of curiosity and he said that Canada does not allow more than 2 citizenships and will ask me to renounce either Dutch or Turkish citizenship prior to me becoming a Canadian citizen. Any comments on this? Thank you

Kems_1

Sep 25, 2024
In regard to the citizenship application, Canada doesn't care how my citizenships you have,
Howdy, so i spoke to a lawyer out of curiosity and he said that Canada does not allow more than 2 citizenships and will ask me to renounce either Dutch or Turkish citizenship prior to me becoming a Canadian citizen. Any comments on this? Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You have found a good test. Your lawyer failed the test; never work with this person. Even a minimally competent lawyer should be able to answer this question correctly (or at least have sufficient brain cells to say I don't know and actually check).

Here's the most simple (correct) answer: Canadian law does not have a concept of multiple citizenships. You are a Canadian citizen, or not. Whatever other citizenships you may have are your own problem. It doesn't matter if that's one citizenship or seven - your problem.

In practice Canada knows and IRCC and other departments may ask about your other citizenships (if relevant) - but again, for the most part, it's basically your problem.

Canada won't check about your other citizenships when going through the process - your problem. If you're legally obliged to renounce (eg) your Turkish citizenship - your problem.

One area where Canada practically recognizes the situation (because Vienna convention): if you get in trouble with the law in eg Turkey - your problem, Canada has no consular rights (beyond what eg Turkish government chooses to allow).

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Yes but can I acquire Canadian citizenship through application while already holding 2 citizenships (which both don’t allow me to acquire Canadian citizenship btw) ? Thank you!
Canadian citizenship application process does not depend on the citizenship rules of the country which you hold citizenship of while filing.

But there may be rules to follow for revocation of citizenship of other countries once you get Canadian citizenship.

Kems_1

Sep 25, 2024
Canadian citizenship application process does not depend on the citizenship rules of the country which you hold citizenship of while filing.

But there may be rules to follow for revocation of citizenship of other countries once you get Canadian citizenship.
These rules wouldn’t be forced upon me or imposed by Canada though and therefore it doesn’t affect my ability to become a Canadian correct? It is those other countries who impose those rules yeah? Thank you. Really sorry it’s just a anxious topic for me

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
These rules wouldn’t be forced upon me or imposed by Canada though and therefore it doesn’t affect my ability to become a Canadian correct? It is those other countries who impose those rules yeah? Thank you. Really sorry it’s just a anxious topic for me
Correct. Any consequences with those other countries are your problem, though.

Reactions: forw.jane

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
I hope it was a free consultation...