+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIT 0520 after citizenship test

border9999

Star Member
Sep 24, 2007
I received RQ form last year and I have replied with all the necessary document last year in 2014. Recently I have received CIT-0520 asking me to provide the color copy of my passport as well as translated entry/exits . They also request "Original signed letter issued to you by U.S.A. authorities/U.S. Consulate with respect to your immigration status in the United States of America". The reason I believe I received this because I traveled a lot to USA and I had included all my day trips in RQ form.

I contacted US embassy and they told me that they can not provide with such a letter therefore they advised me to contact to U.S. Customs Border Protection (CPB). I am confused now as who should provide me with such a letter?

1. U.S. Customs Border Protection (CPB) FOIA ?
http://www.cbp.gov/site-policy-notices/foia/faq-foia

2. U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) ??
http://www.dhs.gov/how-do-i/check-immigration-case-status

3. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) ??
http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/freedom-information-and-privacy-act-foia/how-file-foia-privacy-act-request/how-file-foiapa-request

Did anyone receive CIT - 0520 form before and asked to provide US immigration status letter? Who should i contact? what information are they looking for? what is the process and how long does it take?

SCsquare

Star Member
Dec 8, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 28th 2009
AOR Received.
Dec 9th 2009
File Transfer...
Nov 17th 2009
Med's Done....
Aug 15th 2009
Interview........
July 21st 2010
Passport Req..
July 21st 2010
VISA ISSUED...
July 21st 2010
LANDED..........
July 30th 2010
Hi border9999,

I had received CIT0520 back in September 2014 after my test. They had asked my travel history from US and my US immigration status for a period (since I had an overlapping period with US and Canada)

With overlapping period I mean. My H1-b visa was still valid for until for about a year after I landed in Canada. So the Immigration officer had some concerns regarding my number of days.

I got my travel history from I-94 status site.
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/request.html

For my Immigration status in USA, I had contacted my last employer in USA and got the H1-B withdrawal confirmation letter from them proving that my H1-B for no longer in effect for the particular period.

I hope this helps

border9999

Star Member
Sep 24, 2007
Hi SCsQuare,

Thank you for your response, it was helpful but I still do not know in my case which agency to contact? I responded you at :

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/cit-0520-request-for-documentary-evidence-of-residence-in-canada-t275009.0.html

So I still do not know it is US embassy, USCIS or my previous university in USA as I was student while I was holding PR in Canada?

thanks,

Michel

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
SCSqaure,

Do you mean in the Address History section covering past 4 years in your CIT application, you had an initial US address (before you moved and when you had your US visa in the States and lived there and came up sometimes to accumulate days) and then a Canada address after you moved (which together covered your 3 years in past 4 years requirement for phys presence accumulation).

Whereas if you had ONLY Canada addresses in the last 4 years, then the US + Canada combo for addresses case would not have happened ?

Is this correct ?

SCsquare

Star Member
Dec 8, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 28th 2009
AOR Received.
Dec 9th 2009
File Transfer...
Nov 17th 2009
Med's Done....
Aug 15th 2009
Interview........
July 21st 2010
Passport Req..
July 21st 2010
VISA ISSUED...
July 21st 2010
LANDED..........
July 30th 2010
You need to contact your previous university in USA and get any information that they might have regarding your student visa status they held.

Any USCIS email, they might have received regarding your case, when your visa was revoked or expired.

After doing some google work i found a few other sites that might help you

https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

https://ceac.state.gov/ceacstattracker/status.aspx

Check them, see if they are of some help to you.

I am also searching any other sources of information. Will let you know If I find any

SCsquare

Star Member
Dec 8, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 28th 2009
AOR Received.
Dec 9th 2009
File Transfer...
Nov 17th 2009
Med's Done....
Aug 15th 2009
Interview........
July 21st 2010
Passport Req..
July 21st 2010
VISA ISSUED...
July 21st 2010
LANDED..........
July 30th 2010
border9999,

you may have to do a bit more research

1) Get your current I-94 number from the i-94 site... print that letter out.
2) Get your travel history on that i-94 to prove that for you have only used that I-94 for current travels
3) Get letters from your school in USA which had held your F1 visa.. Get the current status of that visa. (This will prove that you currently have one valid visa for USA)
4) Get the current status of you B1/B2 visa. (This will prove that you currently have one valid visa for USA)

5) Write an explanation letter for periods when each visa was held and when they expired.

SCsquare

Star Member
Dec 8, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 28th 2009
AOR Received.
Dec 9th 2009
File Transfer...
Nov 17th 2009
Med's Done....
Aug 15th 2009
Interview........
July 21st 2010
Passport Req..
July 21st 2010
VISA ISSUED...
July 21st 2010
LANDED..........
July 30th 2010
us2yow said:
SCSqaure,

Do you mean in the Address History section covering past 4 years in your CIT application, you had an initial US address (before you moved and when you had your US visa in the States and lived there and came up sometimes to accumulate days) and then a Canada address after you moved (which together covered your 3 years in past 4 years requirement for phys presence accumulation).

Whereas if you had ONLY Canada addresses in the last 4 years, then the US + Canada combo for addresses case would not have happened ?

Is this correct ?
Yes my CIT application had US Address. But the Address History section has got nothing to do with it.
I moved from US to Canada when I got my Canadian PR. Thus I had a US address. If I would have moved from my home country I would have had my home country address.

My USA visa was valid from 2008-2011.
I moved to Canada in 2010.
So there is an overlapping period of a year (2010-2011) where I could have traveled to USA, by land, without having stamps on my passport.

The CIC officer just wanted to verify that I did fulfill my residency requirements in Canada and I did not travel to USA after the date I mentioned.
Thus I had to get my I-94 travel history and my CBSA travel history and my H1-b status for that period.

I hope that was enough to prove that I was in Canada along with my employment letters here in Canada.

They still haven't reviewed my documents as per my morning call to CIC today. :(

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
SCSquare,

I am saying since you included time spent here visiting while in the US + a Canada address after moving AND (as you explained) your US visa was still active prior to your moving but after you became PR, they probably asked more questions.

The counterexample is: You have a valid US visa, you moved up and waited till your 4 years past addresses were ALL Canada, that would have still meant your visa was valid after moving here until it expired but that because you put in extra time here, the time frame when you were in the US on that same visa and visiting Canada was no longer included. (hence, all Canada addresses in the past 4 years).

djoli

Oct 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am in the same situation but I was never asked to contact U.S officials for my travel records, instead, I was asked to write a letter and detail the nature of my visa in the U.S which I did. Unless you are specifically asked to contact U.S officials, then you should write a letter and explain it.

us2yow said:
SCSquare,

I am saying since you included time spent here visiting while in the US + a Canada address after moving AND (as you explained) your US visa was still active prior to your moving but after you became PR, they probably asked more questions.

The counterexample is: You have a valid US visa, you moved up and waited till your 4 years past addresses were ALL Canada, that would have still meant your visa was valid after moving here until it expired but that because you put in extra time here, the time frame when you were in the US on that same visa and visiting Canada was no longer included. (hence, all Canada addresses in the past 4 years).

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Djoli, just to clarify: for the 4 years of address history covered your CIT applcn, you also have an initial US + Canada (after your move) addresses ?

djoli

Oct 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes that is correct for the 4 years period I had an address in the U.S but it does not mean I was still leaving there as I had a full time job here in Canada even though my U.S visa was still valid. I think CIC is trying too hard to see if they "catch" people and I don't understand what issues they have with the U.S. If they are so afraid of people not living here then they should give the JOBS and they will not go anywhere.

us2yow said:
Djoli, just to clarify: for the 4 years of address history covered your CIT applcn, you also have an initial US + Canada (after your move) addresses ?

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Yes...

whereas, like I said earlier in posting to SCSquare, the counterexample is:

You have a valid US visa, you moved up and waited till your 4 years past addresses were ALL Canada, that would have still meant your visa was valid after moving here until it expired but that because you put in extra time here, the time frame when you were in the US on that same visa and visiting Canada was no longer included. (in short, you only all Canada addresses in the past 4 years which is further proved by when Health card / DL and such things were applied for etc.).

border9999

Star Member
Sep 24, 2007
Hi SCsquare,

Thank you very much for the information. I gathered the items 1)- 2) already. I will need
to contact my university for the letter stating that my F1 already expired.

Now what about the item 4) B1/B2 current status?? is it from Embassy or other agency?

Another questions for item 2) getting the travel history using i-94 is enough??, because
I was most of my trips to USA is by car, those entry/exit is not shown in I-94 report? Most of my trips are day trips
which I had to include in my RQ report.
what should I do now? Should I contact US customs border protection about this information??
I have already contacted CSBA to get the report ?? Since they do not ask for that why should I get them anyways??

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
border9999 said:
I received RQ form last year and I have replied with all the necessary document last year in 2014. Recently I have received CIT-0520 asking me to provide the color copy of my passport as well as translated entry/exits . They also request "Original signed letter issued to you by U.S.A. authorities/U.S. Consulate with respect to your immigration status in the United States of America". The reason I believe I received this because I traveled a lot to USA and I had included all my day trips in RQ form.

I contacted US embassy and they told me that they can not provide with such a letter therefore they advised me to contact to U.S. Customs Border Protection (CPB). I am confused now as who should provide me with such a letter?

1. U.S. Customs Border Protection (CPB) FOIA ?
http://www.cbp.gov/site-policy-notices/foia/faq-foia

2. U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) ??
http://www.dhs.gov/how-do-i/check-immigration-case-status

3. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) ??
http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/freedom-information-and-privacy-act-foia/how-file-foia-privacy-act-request/how-file-foiapa-request

Did anyone receive CIT - 0520 form before and asked to provide US immigration status letter? Who should i contact? what information are they looking for? what is the process and how long does it take?
What type of US visa you have?

I think USCIS provides immigration information.