+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child passport application missing birth certificate

raka__42

Aug 1, 2024
Hi All,

We moved to Canada a few years back from India with our child as temporary workers, we got our PR card here and then we got our Citizenship recently. I went to apply for passport for me and my child. I took a copy of the birth certificate for my kid but i was asked for the original.

Now the issue is that i am not able to locate the original birth certificate. We are also not able to locate the original landing papers. We never needed these so far after the PR card. But now, for passport looks like either we need the original birth certificate, or the original landing papers.

Is there anything we can do? We planned a US travel in the next 2-3 months but now things are looking a bit difficult :(

Thanks for any help!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi All,

We moved to Canada a few years back from India with our child as temporary workers, we got our PR card here and then we got our Citizenship recently. I went to apply for passport for me and my child. I took a copy of the birth certificate for my kid but i was asked for the original.

Now the issue is that i am not able to locate the original birth certificate. We are also not able to locate the original landing papers. We never needed these so far after the PR card. But now, for passport looks like either we need the original birth certificate, or the original landing papers.

Is there anything we can do? We planned a US travel in the next 2-3 months but now things are looking a bit difficult :(

Thanks for any help!
It depends on what kind of registration system / civil registry is in place where you are. Standard in most provinces and states and (for example) most countries of Europe is that the civil registry issues 'extracts' (sometimes called duplicate or whatever).

These are considered the same as original and IRCC will accept IF they are printed on the fancy paper or bearing an original coloured stamp (or both); they're extracted info from the civil registry (usually now in electronic form). You do NOT need the original one issued at birth if you can get one of these - the prime distinction being it is ISSUED by the relevant state authority, eg the civil registry. Some embassies can issue documents that are considered equivalent.

If you have or can get one of those it will be accepted. What is not accepted is a photocopy (and depending on country a notarized or authenticated copy may or may not be accepted). If original is not in English or French, they should accept certified translation with attached notarized copy.

I can't tell you exaclty how it works from India, and it may depend on the state/municipality there.

adstarscream732

May 6, 2019
Hi All,

Thanks for any help!
You should try to locate your landing papers (COPR) as you may need it during OCI application in the future.

raka__42

Aug 1, 2024
You should try to locate your landing papers (COPR) as you may need it during OCI application in the future.

Thanks for responding! Our landing was virtual as we were already here when we came to Canada. Will the printout of the CoPR document be accepted?

All, thank you for your replies. Gonna try the options you all provided.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for responding! Our landing was virtual as we were already here when we came to Canada. Will the printout of the CoPR document be accepted?
It should be. It's a new enough form that people at the passport offices may not be familiar with how they look. Try it and let others know.

raka__42

Aug 1, 2024
Ok. Also, nowhere in the CoPR document is mentioned who the parents are. Not sure how they will use it for proof of parentage but i m going to try and post back here! Thanks a lot!

adstarscream732

May 6, 2019
Ok. Also, nowhere in the CoPR document is mentioned who the parents are. Not sure how they will use it for proof of parentage but i m going to try and post back here! Thanks a lot!
It may not say on the minor's COPR but your COPR and your spouse COPR it does say accompanying dependent - check it out.

All, thank you for your replies. Gonna try the options you all provided.
Print out should be fine. Again they may or may not ask for it during OCI.

raka__42

Aug 1, 2024
Thanks All for your responses.

I managed to request for a copy of the original birth certificate from my home country, India. I also found the CoPR documents, but the birth certificates will come soon, so i'd rather wait for that.

I am still not sure why my kid's passport that mentions both the parents' name is enough for IRCC, but birth certificate is. It didn't make a lot of sense to me.

In any case, i'll apply for the passports soon now :)