+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

canceling sponsorship

leinad

Jul 19, 2008
Hi everybody.I have questions.In under what conditions my husband can canceled his sponshoship??Im PR 1.5years,living in Canada.I left him becouse he abused me,living with my son in shelter.He saying that he will do that. So please can somebody can help me??

LCS

May 5, 2005
leinad,
I don't believe he CAN cancel sponsorhip, he might have been able to cancel during the application process before you were granted PR status, but now that you have PR here, he has signed on for the obligation to be financially responsible for the time it states on the application. However, there has been some previous discussion on this site as to how you are able to legally enforce this. PMM your suggestions?

leinad

Jul 19, 2008
I dont know,Im confused.He saying staff what I dont have no clue.My lawyer doesnt know immigration law,so he studing. I sighnt separation agreement(privetly,he come to my work at 11:00pm-I did night shift,and sad I have to sighnt that.I was scared,so I sighnt.He stating there he doesnt no obligation for me or my son)So.......what can I do_Or what he can do more to me???Please help.Thank you soooooooo much.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM is the most knowlegable user on this board but this I know, it is not possible to cancel your sponsorship. There was a story on TV about Canadian people who have been tricked into getting married by people who just used them because they wanted to come to Canada and they are stuck being responsible for their sponsored spouse for 3 years, even if they are divorced. They talked to one woman whose husband had left her as soon as he got his PR and he had right away asked for social benefits that she had to pay back to the government and later he claimed disability which she also had to pay. She asked what is his disability because she was not aware that he had any but she was told that she was not allowed to know because it was his privacy. If there was a possibility for her to cancel her sponsorship, she would have done it.

Once you are a PR, you will not be deported unless you commit a crime or if you have lied to immigration at some point . If you have to take social assistance because of your situation there is nothing your ex husband can do about it and because he sponsored you, he will have to pay but you do not have to talk to him about this. It would be better if you do not talk to him at all.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
You are here and you have your PR already he can't take that away.

And he is responsible for any assistance you receive for 3 years from when you landed. And if he sponsored your son too he is responsible for him for 10 years or until he is 22 years old.

leinad

Jul 19, 2008
Thank you.Yes I heard about people get merried just becouse PR.That wasnt our case.Before we marryed we lived in same houshold for 2years.I went back,he come to my country with his whole family and we marrid.Then he sponsored me and I come back as a PR. And then he started.He has 2kids from previos marrig,and he went for full custody off them,he didnt get it.So.................he doesnt need me anymore,he doesnt need proov for court that he has complited family,becouse his exwife was single.He was................you cant imagine. So after I broke down at work,my cooworkers told me where I can get help.He was saying that he is canadian,law is on his side,I cant go nowhere.But I did,when I left him I was working in 2jobs 12-16hours a day for 7months,but my health and from stress I cant do it anymore.So in september I want to go back to school upgrade my education from my country(becouse here is not valid).

Almamai

Aug 2, 2008
leinad said:
Hi everybody.I have questions.In under what conditions my husband can canceled his sponshoship??Im PR 1.5years,living in Canada.I left him becouse he abused me,living with my son in shelter.He saying that he will do that. So please can somebody can help me??
i will do anything for you

BKM

Jul 27, 2008
Hi,
He cannot cancel your PR status. Sponsorship is when you are trying to
get a PR status, and now that you have been to Canada for 1.5 year,
just wait another half year to get your citizenship.

CAUTION ! CAUTION ! CAUTION !
Always consider that the Laws and regulations under which you have married are
always regarded in Canada. So if possibly the marriage law of your country of
origin gives a certain right to man or woman, it might be applied here for you...
But not all the things are applied here, for example, in muslim countries women
have no right to apply for divirce, but here you can do it...ask your lawyer any way...

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
He cannot cancel his sponsorship once you are a PR - and he is also responsible for you, financially, for the 3 years he promised in the undertaking. Get a good divorce lawyer, file for divorce, sue him for fees, and get spousal support if you want it. And get a restraining order against him if he's abusive - don't let him bully you into believing you are at risk of losing your status or anything else . . . the only risk you are under is from him. Stay away from him.

leinad

Jul 19, 2008
Thank you so much!!Any ideas help.Yes I have restriening order against him,for me and also for my son. We are trying start from 0,its not easy,but.........we get there.Yes I found new immigration lawyer,so..hopeffuly law will be on my side.Also if I will get OSAP(Im going back to school in september-get my papers and diploma for our future),as a PR can I apply or.........has that somethink to do with him(my husband).Any ideas please.

Anatolia

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008
You can apply to OSAP (and by God I urge you to be very consciencious about spending it. It takes people at least 8-10 years to get rid of the debt!), however your husband is under the obligation to provide for you even if you are divorced, so you dont have to ask for Welfare social assistance support. If you do, he will have to repay that "debt" before he sponsors someone else. This extends to 3 years after you are landed. Considering this man is abusive, it might be wise to severe all ties to him. Best of luck. It will be hard for a while but in a few years you will be rid of him and on your own feet. Have Faith! and be thankful for the small things and big things too: your lovely child, your health and safety! Take care of yourself.

saika

Apr 4, 2014
I needed to know how long it takes to cancel spousal sponsorship? how long it takes to get the email notification that the sponsorship has been cancelled?

Obronibini

Jul 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2014 (Received as per tracking 21-03-2013)
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
30-04-2014
Passport Req..
04-08-2014
saika said:
I needed to know how long it takes to cancel spousal sponsorship? how long it takes to get the email notification that the sponsorship has been cancelled?
sorry about your abusive situation . It all been said already by the wonderful posters on here to add to that try as much as you can if posible not to go on walfare . Take it a day a time . Everything will be alright