+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i sponsor my parents with my world wide income ?

dildaraldoski

Sep 21, 2017
This is my understanding but because people told me I should file taxes because of those 3 months . that is why i started to think it is ok to apply if i'm already being paying taxes like the applicants who are living inside canada !

You've stayed just over 3 months in Canada in the last 3 years.....that's not living in Canada..

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
This is my understanding but because people told me I should file taxes because of those 3 months . that is why i started to think it is ok to apply if i'm already being paying taxes like the applicants who are living inside canada !
Even if you did not stay in Canada for a single day, you should STILL file a tax return.

Don't mix it up. Filing a tax return does not automatically mean that you will have to pay tax to CRA. You should ask you accountant about this. He or she should know this!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
[
5.31. Exceptions to Canadian income rule
Dear rob

Thanks for the link , very informative , dosent the below sentence means that if i declare my world wide income (if my the tax accountant told me i should file) then I could sponsor them ?

Thanks

The exceptions to the Canadian income rule are as follows:
• sponsors who commute from Canada to work in the U.S.A. can use their U.S. employment income provided it is declared as income on their Canadian income tax return;

• sponsors living in Canada who declare income from foreign sources on their Canadian tax returns, can use this foreign income to meet the financial requirements for sponsorship.
No, it quite clearly says to count foreign income you must be living in Canada (so physically inside Canada) while the foreign income is earned. Your foreign income earned while living in a foreign country, should NOT count for LICO whether you file a CRA tax return on it or not.

Regarding your tax issue, read this folio from CRA. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/technical-information/income-tax/income-tax-folios-index/series-5-international-residency/folio-1-residency/income-tax-folio-s5-f1-c1-determining-individual-s-residence-status.html

There is more to being a deemed or factual resident for tax purposes only, than physically being in Canada. Even if one never steps foot in Canada in a given year they may still be a deemed resident simply due to the ties they have to Canada. Ties can be things like family living in Canada, property owned, financial accounts open, registered savings plans, membership in clubs, your intent to return to Canada in the future, etc etc. There is no easy yes or no answer as whether you are a resident or non-resident for tax purposes so owe taxes on your foreign income, as in the end it's at discretion of CRA based on their analysis of all your ties.

You can try contacting CRA to see if you should be a resident or non-resident in those years.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
No, it quite clearly says to count foreign income you must be living in Canada (so physically inside Canada) while the foreign income is earned. Your foreign income earned while living in a foreign country, should NOT count for LICO whether you file a CRA tax return on it or not.
is there a way for IRCC to verify this just based on the NOA? I don't recall needing to provide proof that one was staying in Canada during the required LICO years. They just ask for the NOAs.

Again does IRCC have the resources to investigate such cases without tip offs?

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
@dildaraldoski if you decide to put your name in the lottery and get selected, obviously, your foreign income is ineligible as you were not living in Canada, you would have wasted a spot, you might face the wrath of the other forum members. :rolleyes::eek:
It is best for you wait til you are eligible or if want to be denied it is your choice.

@nayr69sg Financial Evaluation form for the sponsors

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: YVR123

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
It's a good idea to file a tax return if you still want to maintain your PR status or Canada ties. What I mean is like if you still intend to stay in Canada in the future. If you are planning to let your PR lapse and will have nothing to do with Canada at all in the future then by all means don't file any returns. Just my honest opinion. Even when you want to get a mortgage the banks will also ask for your NOAs. I have found that NOAs are important documents to have for various reasons.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/you-have-file-a-return.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's a good idea to file a tax return if you still want to maintain your PR status or Canada ties. Just my honest opinion.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/topics/about-your-tax-return/you-have-file-a-return.html
Filing taxes doesn't help to maintain PR status. You need physical presence or you need to meet one of the other requirements for counting time outside of Canada (e.g. accompanying a citizen spouse).

If maintaining your PR status was as easy as filing taxes, everyone would simply file their Canadian taxes annually and remain outside of Canada forever. It doesn't work that way.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Filing taxes doesn't help to maintain PR status. You need physical presence or you need to meet one of the other requirements for counting time outside of Canada (e.g. accompanying a citizen spouse).

If maintaining your PR status was as easy as filing taxes, everyone would simply file their Canadian taxes annually and remain outside of Canada forever. It doesn't work that way.
Sorry my bad I wasn't explicitly clear in what I was trying to convey. Yes filing taxes does not in any way help towards renewing your PR or applying for citizenship.

But you will find that if you do intend to settle in Canada, renew PR, be a citizen, get a mortgage for a house, apply for benefits and tax credits, then filing tax returns would be extremely helpful (regardless whether you do end up having to pay taxes because you are or are not deemed a tax resident by CRA).

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
@dildaraldoski if you decide to put your name in the lottery and get selected, obviously, your foreign income is ineligible as you were not living in Canada, you would have wasted a spot, you might face the wrath of the other forum members. :rolleyes::eek:
Well he has every right to do so based on the current lottery system which the majority say is the FAIREST way to handle PGP ( I disagree).

Put it this way, those of us who are really serious about sponsoring our parents, don't need to ask such questions. We have got expert advice and know we qualify. I mean why should it be any other way?

You wouldn't trust a layman or forum for expert medical advice for something you deem really important to you right?

Oh well....

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
is there a way for IRCC to verify this just based on the NOA? I don't recall needing to provide proof that one was staying in Canada during the required LICO years. They just ask for the NOAs.

Again does IRCC have the resources to investigate such cases without tip offs?
Yes the financial evaluation form asks specifically for all employer info going back 3 years, including addresses. So if you list a bunch of employers with foreign addresses, IRCC will be able to quickly check your actual residence at that time via CBSA records, or will simply send you a procedural fairness letter to put onus on the sponsor to prove they lived in Canada during this time.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Well he has every right to do so based on the current lottery system which the majority say is the FAIREST way to handle PGP ( I disagree).

Put it this way, those of us who are really serious about sponsoring our parents, don't need to ask such questions. We have got expert advice and know we qualify. I mean why should it be any other way?

You wouldn't trust a layman or forum for expert medical advice for something you deem really important to you right?

Oh well....
Sorry, what was your POINT?

Reactions: OP_POP

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Lottery is fair and not insulting for me, I don't have to pay hundreds or thousands to the courier to bring my app.

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Lottery is fair and not insulting for me, I don't have to pay hundreds or thousands to the courier to bring my app.
Every one has their opinion.

I look at it as how high do you prioritize sponsoring your parents? It's like people who say they "have no time". It is more saying "it's not a priority to me at this point".

Some people will say paying hundreds or thousands to the courier is too much. Some would say I wanna sponsor my parents enough I will borrow to pay for that cost!

It's all about priorities. CRA could ban couriers and insist applicants apply in person. Some will say "that's too troublesome" or "I cannot spare the time" Again it is a statement on priorities.

If you want something because it means so much to you, would you be happy to leave that to a lottery to decide? It's just my opinion. And I know many of you disagree.