+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can i sponsor my parents with my world wide income ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Just another question , Is it ok that I file taxes even i'f i'm not considered a tax resident?

during 2015 , we only stayed for 3 weeks and returned home.

my wife lived in 2016 for 4.5 months and I lived for 2.5 months. and my wife used health card during our child birth

in 2017 also my wife used card at november and december .

one accountant told me I do not have to file taxes for theses years but i'm going to check with another as i'm afraid because my wife used her health card we might have to file.

The main reason of my concern is of course not for the sake for the sponsorship application but because i want to make a correct start at canada and also during citizenship i understood that you should filed your taxes correctly to apply .
thanks
Aside from the immigration matters, you should note that your wife has likely committed healthcare fraud, which is a very serious crime. Provincial health coverage has residency requirements and from what you've said, your wife did not meet those requirements when she came to Canada to give birth and therefore did not qualify for coverage.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Aside from the immigration matters, you should note that your wife has likely committed healthcare fraud, which is a very serious crime. Provincial health coverage has residency requirements and from what you've said, your wife did not meet those requirements when she came to Canada to give birth and therefore did not qualify for coverage.
Your whole family needed to apply to restart their health care coverage when you returned to Canada and wait up to 3 months for your coverage to start again.

No matter what your wife didn't stay in Canada for 6 months so all provinces will want to be reimbursed for her coverage if it is discovered.

Not sure why people don't feel the need to pay taxes on their international income but are happy to come to Canada and use the health system for a few months.

Reactions: OP_POP

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Not sure why people don't feel the need to pay taxes on their international income but are happy to come to Canada and use the health system for a few months.
It is obviously morally wrong and a direct flout of the rules.

I will tell you why people do it. Because we Canadians are too nice. We don't go after these people hard enough. There is little punitive action against then if any at all.

Crime pays in Canada. We are just lucky that majority of us are good honest people. But the culture is not quite the same in other countries where some immigrants come from.

You can do whatever you want but just don't get caught. And in Canada we seldom catch anyone.

Look at the Panama papers leak. CRA has recovered $0. Rest of the work $500 million from tax cheats.

Look at our PM and finance minister as well.

Accept it.

mehtviv

Jan 20, 2018
But the culture is not quite the same in other countries where some immigrants come from.
I'm a new PR of Canada (still living in the US and waiting to find a job in Canada) and I also strongly believe that majority of Canadians are very nice and honest (though I was shown a middle finger while walking on a side walk along with my 3 years old daughter in Vancouver, I take it as an exception) but the sentence is a sign of the rising emotions against immigrants which has taken over the US and I'm sure Canada won't be far behind.

Having seen a couple of countries till now and having worked with people of varied nationalities, I've realized that generalization doesn't work. Every person is different and while you can think of a pattern about the culture of a country but then suddenly you'd be surprised by a pleasant experience with someone from that country.

While your fellow citizens quickly noticed that the guy and his wife would have done some kind of fraud, why didn't the hospital notice that and inform these people at that time? I think if he had done something wrong knowingly, he wouldn't be thinking of returning back to Canada.

I'm not here to defend him or anyone, but don't be quick to judge and comment on anyone's culture.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm a new PR of Canada (still living in the US and waiting to find a job in Canada) and I also strongly believe that majority of Canadians are very nice and honest (though I was shown a middle finger while walking on a side walk along with my 3 years old daughter in Vancouver, I take it as an exception) but the sentence is a sign of the rising emotions against immigrants which has taken over the US and I'm sure Canada won't be far behind.

Having seen a couple of countries till now and having worked with people of varied nationalities, I've realized that generalization doesn't work. Every person is different and while you can think of a pattern about the culture of a country but then suddenly you'd be surprised by a pleasant experience with someone from that country.

While your fellow citizens quickly noticed that the guy and his wife would have done some kind of fraud, why didn't the hospital notice that and inform these people at that time? I think if he had done something wrong knowingly, he wouldn't be thinking of returning back to Canada.

I'm not here to defend him or anyone, but don't be quick to judge and comment on anyone's culture.
Really not up tp the hospital to pick up on the issue. It should be picked up by the health ministry of that province. The 2016 visit was likely more to guarantee that the child had Canadian citizenship. I sense that they would have paid for the services had they been required to do so. I suspect that the 2 month trip in 2017 may be for the birth of another child. If the family does return the error may get picked up but seems like they don't audit their system very well. Alsp dpubt family will be returning anytime soom unless there is another birth. In BC the system seems to work a bit better because people cancel their premiums when they leave so have to restart them. I do think they should audit and at least freeze the cards so it doesn't happen a second time. People don't go to the doctor regularly so many people would get flagged so it is hard to implement a good system. Should be easy when it come to birth if there is almost no prenatal or postpartum care. Canada has been pretty insulated from birth tourism and immigrants not establishing themselves in Canada for the longterm. Things habe changed in the past 10-15 years. As the world has become more global many families are applying to immigrate for the child's future and only intend them to actually move to Canada to attend postsecondary education if at all. In some countries collecting citizenships for your child is just another way to show that your child is better than other children. As always, governements are slow to change rules so they are probably 10 years behind. If you look at the real estate market we are only now putting very loose minimal taxes on foreign ownership. Australia did it before us and was more strict with their rules.

Think in general Canadians are law abiding and like to follow rules so we get outraged when others take advantage of loopholes or grey areas or just don't follow rules at all.

Reactions: carolbb23

mehtviv

Jan 20, 2018
Really not up tp the hospital to pick up on the issue. It should be picked up by the health ministry of that province. The 2016 visit was likely more to guarantee that the child had Canadian citizenship. I sense that they would have paid for the services had they been required to do so. I suspect that the 2 month trip in 2017 may be for the birth of another child. If the family does return the error may get picked up but seems like they don't audit their system very well. Alsp dpubt family will be returning anytime soom unless there is another birth. In BC the system seems to work a bit better because people cancel their premiums when they leave so have to restart them. I do think they should audit and at least freeze the cards so it doesn't happen a second time. People don't go to the doctor regularly so many people would get flagged so it is hard to implement a good system. Should be easy when it come to birth if there is almost no prenatal or postpartum care. Canada has been pretty insulated from birth tourism and immigrants not establishing themselves in Canada for the longterm. Things habe changed in the past 10-15 years. As the world has become more global many families are applying to immigrate for the child's future and only intend them to actually move to Canada to attend postsecondary education if at all. In some countries collecting citizenships for your child is just another way to show that your child is better than other children. As always, governements are slow to change rules so they are probably 10 years behind. If you look at the real estate market we are only now putting very loose minimal taxes on foreign ownership. Australia did it before us and was more strict with their rules.

Think in general Canadians are law abiding and like to follow rules so we get outraged when others take advantage of loopholes or grey areas or just don't follow rules at all.
I second your emotion and I would also be outraged if there are people doing fraud in my country. But then I guess there are people doing fraud everywhere and typically it's upto the government to put checks in place. I hope and wish that Canadian government will soon put those checks in place so that immigrants who really contribute to economy are welcomed.