+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for citizenship WITHOUT a PR card (that I never received from IRCC.)

wigglykitty

Jun 30, 2024
I gave my address during landing to CBSA but I never received a PR card. I believe either they didn't send it out or it got lost in the mail. I was able to continue working with my COPR and never actually bothered to apply for the PR card after (I know I should have). I was talking to a friend and she said that I need a PR card for the oath ceremony as I will be required to show it to the citizenship officials.

Since my eligibility period is almost complete, should I re-apply for the PR card or can I go ahead and apply for my citizenship with just my signed COPR? I have zero days of absence from Canada and I have no travel plans.

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
I gave my address during landing to CBSA but I never received a PR card. I believe either they didn't send it out or it got lost in the mail. I was able to continue working with my COPR and never actually bothered to apply for the PR card after (I know I should have). I was talking to a friend and she said that I need a PR card for the oath ceremony as I will be required to show it to the citizenship officials.

Since my eligibility period is almost complete, should I re-apply for the PR card or can I go ahead and apply for my citizenship with just my signed COPR? I have zero days of absence from Canada and I have no travel plans.
you don't use the COPR for the oath, you return the pr card at the inperson oath or you have to cut it for them to see virtual oath. i would just apply for the card is takes about 2 months. you have plenty time to apply for since your are not apply now.

wigglykitty

Jun 30, 2024
you don't use the COPR for the oath, you return the pr card at the inperson oath or you have to cut it for them to see virtual oath. i would just apply for the card is takes about 2 months. you have plenty time to apply for since your are not apply now.
But what if I apply without the PR card, will there be any issues? My eligibility period is finished next week.

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
Hmmm okay. I always thought that the real PR was linked to COPR and PR card itself was just a travel document. I guess that's not the case.
The Pr Card is not a travel document.. it is an identification card used to prove your status as a Permanent Resident which also allows re-entry into canada when travelling from aboard. it only serves as 'somewhat' of travel document in that case only.

Last edited:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hmmm okay. I always thought that the real PR was linked to COPR and PR card itself was just a travel document. I guess that's not the case.
PR card is an entry document into Canadian ports (land, sea, air). It is also documents immigration requires to see when you exit their country (besides US and Canada). Airlines also ask you to present this document t when you are travelling back to Canada

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Before even bothering to fill up the citizenship application form, apply for and receive the PR card
I don't see that this is necessary. Provide a letter of explanation that you never got your PR card and apply for citizenship as normal otherwise.

That said, it MIGHT be a good idea to apply for PR card in parallel.

If it were me, I would apply for the PR card and include a copy of the application for PR card and a letter of explanation (that you never got the original PR card) with the citizenship app.

Possibly not necessary and you could just apply for citizenship, apply for the PR card in parallel in case it should come up.

wigglykitty

Jun 30, 2024
I don't see that this is necessary. Provide a letter of explanation that you never got your PR card and apply for citizenship as normal otherwise.

That said, it MIGHT be a good idea to apply for PR card in parallel.

If it were me, I would apply for the PR card and include a copy of the application for PR card and a letter of explanation (that you never got the original PR card) with the citizenship app.

Possibly not necessary and you could just apply for citizenship, apply for the PR card in parallel in case it should come up.
I shall follow your advice then. Will send the application receipt alongside with citizenship application! : )

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I shall follow your advice then. Will send the application receipt alongside with citizenship application! : )
Main thing is that even if they ask for the PR card, it's not actually required to have a valid PR card, PR status is entirely separate. Yes, they now issue PR cards to almost all PRs as a matter of course, but almost is not all, and you've done nothing wrong by not having one. (Although I'm surprised you didn't have more bureaucratic hassles separate from this)

Note, though - it might delay your citizenship app as being unusual (although I don't know, only guessing). That's partly why I suggest applying for the PR card and including a receipt/copy, so that they (kind of) get an answer to the 'why no PR card' question.

Reactions: dpenabill

addyryoo

Star Member
Oct 29, 2019
My sister applied for both PR card (her previous one expired) and citizenship at the same time.
2 applications were linked to her account.
And they ended up processing her citizenship first.

You don't need a PR card to apply for citizenship.
All you need is your COPR.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
My sister applied for both PR card (her previous one expired) and citizenship at the same time.
2 applications were linked to her account.
And they ended up processing her citizenship first.

You don't need a PR card to apply for citizenship.
All you need is your COPR.
The OP never had a PR card. Your sister had a expired one. Slight difference between both cases.

Reactions: armoured