+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply another Study Permit on top of PGWP?

girl_ON

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Dear all,

I got a Study permit for 4 years before but I studied for one year and I applied for PGWP. I am currently working under PGWP and it going to be expired in 3 months so I have a concern here: Am I eligible to apply for another Study Permit now to attend school in January next year?

your inputs are valuable. I am highly appreciate it

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sure - you can apply for another study permit for a program that starts in January. Keep in mind that you won't qualify for another PGWP once you finish your second round of studies. The PGWP is a one-time deal only.

girl_ON

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
scylla said:
Sure - you can apply for another study permit for a program that starts in January. Keep in mind that you won't qualify for another PGWP once you finish your second round of studies. The PGWP is a one-time deal only.
Thanks scylla for your inputs

I also have another concern, please help me with this:

Will it casue me any problem if after received the Study Permit but i change my mind not enroll to school?
Am I still legally working on PGWP when I receive Study Permit?

Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't understand your question.

You said that your PGWP is valid for another three months. This means that you can continue working for another three months (until your PGWP expires).

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
girl_ON said:

Will it casue me any problem if after received the Study Permit but i change my mind not enroll to school?

Thanks in advance
No, the study permit would invalidate your PGWP.

Kashif995

Aug 3, 2012
India
Visa Office......
Delhi - Online
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2013
Med's Done....
22-11-2012
girl_ON said:
Dear all,

I got a Study permit for 4 years before but I studied for one year and I applied for PGWP. I am currently working under PGWP and it going to be expired in 3 months so I have a concern here: Am I eligible to apply for another Study Permit now to attend school in January next year?

The PGWP is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You cannot get a second PGWP. You may get a study permit for study in Canada, but it will be tough to get and will require a lot of explanations if you haven't completed your previous education for which you got the earlier permit.

girl_ON

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Thanks all for the valuable information.

I had a financial problem cause my mom got sick thats y I couldnt make it before and now I wanna go back.

@ Scylla: Let me clarify, My situation is kind of complicated and I am very headache now. Please fix me if I am wrong.

I have been working for 7 months ( Dec 28 -till present with skill work experience). By the time my PGWP expired Oct 27, I will have 10 months work experience. I have 2 options

a) If I can find an employer apply LMO for me I will continue working
b) If I cant find any employer do the LMO, I will just submit application to extend work permit any way 2 weeks before my PGWP expired day - it means I can have some little extra time to work ( as implied status) for another 2 months ( till Dec 2013). By that time i hit to 12 months work experience. Can I apply submit the application to apply for PR under CEC? And enroll to School in January?

I will really really appreciate your response. Thank you very much

aman singh

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
20-03-2011
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2011
LANDED..........
28-04-2011
You can't submit application for work permit without LMO.

girl_ON

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
aman singh said:
You can't submit application for work permit without LMO.
I know I will get the negative answer for sure. Just wanna get some more time to hit to 12 months work experience.

Any seniors alread experience this situation please give me some advices. I am more than appreciate

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
girl_ON said:
Dear all,

i am not sure but have u checked reinstating ur study permit .....again this is just a thought ......like people expend study permit .....worth checking out.....

aman singh

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
20-03-2011
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2011
LANDED..........
28-04-2011
Hi,

Obviously your application will be returned with rejection before 2 months.
So no need to apply.

I can give you two ways -

1. Try to search employer who will grant you LMO before the expiry of PGWP. Talk to some immigration consultant. They charge around $10,000 but will help you in getting 3 years open work permit.
Winners, Mc Donald and CIBC help student in work permit extension.

2. Apply for study permit before the expiry of PGWP,
Obviously you won't receive you won't get PGWP after studies.
But you'll get enough time to find employer for LMO.
The day you get employer. Change your status to Open work permit.

You don't have any other way to go.

Good Luck.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
girl_ON said:

I had a financial problem cause my mom got sick thats y I couldnt make it before and now I wanna go back.

@ Scylla: Let me clarify, My situation is kind of complicated and I am very headache now. Please fix me if I am wrong.

I have been working for 7 months ( Dec 28 -till present with skill work experience). By the time my PGWP expired Oct 27, I will have 10 months work experience. I have 2 options

b) If I cant find any employer do the LMO, I will just submit application to extend work permit any way 2 weeks before my PGWP expired day - it means I can have some little extra time to work ( as implied status) for another 2 months ( till Dec 2013). By that time i hit to 12 months work experience. Can I apply submit the application to apply for PR under CEC? And enroll to School in January?

A work permit must be extendable in order to get Implied Status. A PGWP is not extendable, therefore not eligible for Implied Status.

If you'd like to try, go ahead. I cannot tell you what may happen.

VSK

Star Member
Dec 31, 2012
girl_ON said:

You worked 7 months for the same employer?

ortom

Feb 19, 2013
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Vegreville /CPC - Missisauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-07-2013
File Transfer...
03-03-2014 to CPC-M
Med's Done....
06-06-2013
Once you get your study permit, you are eligible to get a work permit in 6 months, however you need to be enrolled full time in school in order to keep your study permit and can only work 20 hours while in school and 40 when off from school i.e summer time. Therefore, yes you would have a problem if you decided to not go to school as your school will notify cic and they will ask for the work permit back.
How long have you been working for and are you working on a professional job? You could apply for your PR if you have been working for 1 year or longer and your line of work falls under one of the categories that is eligible.
girl_ON said:

Thanks in advance