+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Brutal Winter and a Jobless Immigrant family

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
SMCANADAVISA said:
I am one of those but being one of those did not fetch me any brownies here. I told you Europe is far less accepting. Can you answer few of my questions so that I can guide you with some suggestions. Ignore if you do not want to share personal information :

1. What is your highest educational degree and what did you specialize on? Was it from a private college or a good university of your country?
2. Is all your work experience in line with your educational qualification?
3. Do you have any Canadian work experience in the line of your educational degree or home country work experience? How many months/years?

If you are out of fund one option can be to send family back home and you try to find stability here. Once that happens bring them over. With this the expenses will go down manifold.
I am an Electrical Engineer by training with Bachelor Degree from well respected university in my country (one of the above), also have a Master degree in Computer Engineering. All my experience has been in IT and progression from programmer analyst to DBA and IT Manager, Senior Manager in large companies. I do not have any Canadian professional experience but have Diploma in Accounting and certificate in Network Systems and Securities from colleges here in Canada. Thinking of doing an MBA here but the cost is prohibitive for now. Cannot let my wife and kids go home because my kids are in school here and if my wife goes home then nobody will take care of them, they are below 12 years old and cannot be left alone at any time by law! Sending all of them back home will be too disruptive for them, especially the elder kid.

SMCANADAVISA

Oct 21, 2014
deerestlovelybear said:
I am an Electrical Engineer by training with Bachelor Degree from well respected university in my country (one of the above), also have a Master degree in Computer Engineering. All my experience has been in IT and progression from programmer analyst to DBA and IT Manager, Senior Manager in large companies. I do not have any Canadian professional experience but have Diploma in Accounting and certificate in Network Systems and Securities from colleges here in Canada. Thinking of doing an MBA here but the cost is prohibitive for now. Cannot let my wife and kids go home because my kids are in school here and if my wife goes home then nobody will take care of them, they are below 12 years old and cannot be left alone at any time by law! Sending all of them back home will be too disruptive for them, especially the elder kid.
I am no career expert and pardon me if I sound inappropriate. Just wondering why you would be an engineering graduate specializing in Electrical (what did you mean by Elect. Eng. by training?) and then switch track in Masters to Comp. Engineering. Most importantly if your last held position in home country is of a Senior Manager which is a managerial position why did you do certificate course in Network Systems and Securities. That sounds like a beginners course for under grads. And certainly the diploma in Accounting has been waste of money because it does not align with your previous education or work experience. If you have no Canadian Work Experience so far it might be difficult to get the first break. What I am trying to point at is that if your line of education and work experience do not align then it's pretty tough here. But knowing your educational qualification and work experience I guess it's not a barrier. Have you assessed your communication style/skill? Did you go back and ask why you were not selected in the interview. I may sound harsh but the reality is that if you do not come across as a confident and super communicative person it's difficult to get through.
I understand that sending the family back home will be disruptive but given that you are in distress I thought it would save you a lot. Pardon my ignorance.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
SMCANADAVISA said:
I am no career expert and pardon me if I sound inappropriate. Just wondering why you would be an engineering graduate specializing in Electrical (what did you mean by Elect. Eng. by training?) and then switch track in Masters to Comp. Engineering. Most importantly if your last held position in home country is of a Senior Manager which is a managerial position why did you do certificate course in Network Systems and Securities. That sounds like a beginners course for under grads. And certainly the diploma in Accounting has been waste of money because it does not align with your previous education or work experience. If you have no Canadian Work Experience so far it might be difficult to get the first break. What I am trying to point at is that if your line of education and work experience do not align then it's pretty tough here. But knowing your educational qualification and work experience I guess it's not a barrier. Have you assessed your communication style/skill? Did you go back and ask why you were not selected in the interview. I may sound harsh but the reality is that if you do not come across as a confident and super communicative person it's difficult to get through.
I understand that sending the family back home will be disruptive but given that you are in distress I thought it would save you a lot. Pardon my ignorance.
I did not get any interview for manager/DBA role, removing those experience and qualification completely from my resume and with a Canadian cert and help from school I did get calls for some junior positions but again did not materialize. I am not sure if you have kids but it is very hard to send them back home, and how will I know how long it will take to get a job that can feed my entire family and get them back? I'd rather wait till I got my citizenship and leave for the whole family, that would be a better plan.

SMCANADAVISA

Oct 21, 2014
deerestlovelybear said:
I did not get any interview for manager/DBA role, removing those experience and qualification completely from my resume and with a Canadian cert and help from school I did get calls for some junior positions but again did not materialize. I am not sure if you have kids but it is very hard to send them back home, and how will I know how long it will take to get a job that can feed my entire family and get them back? I'd rather wait till I got my citizenship and leave for the whole family, that would be a better plan.
Sounds good ! All the best for future !

zaynahdream

Star Member
Oct 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London VO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2014
Nomination.....
15-01-2015
IELTS Request
included in application
Med's Request
22-03-2016
Med's Done....
05-04-2016
Interview........
10-03-2016
Passport Req..
14-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
04-01-2017
LANDED..........
InshAllah very soon
SFD said:
Zaynadream,

Whenever I have a chance to speak to newcomers in ELT Programs or anywhere else, I remind everyone "We chose to come to Canada, it was not the Government or Canadian People who gun pointed at us to come"

I deal on a daily basis with individuals from everywhere and I hear heartfelt stories you name it. I see how people give up easily and I do not blame them at all. Sara Winter, one of our Canada Miss Universe finalists is inspiring people to follow their dreams. go this link: http://missuniversecanada.ca/2014-national-finalists/sara-winter/

Giving up should not be part of our vocabulary!

I personally went throughout too much turbulence in my first 12 months in Canada that it was even affecting my family relationship: I was trying really hard to get a white collar job and things were not working my way. Savings were disappearing and I ended up so stressed out.

While I am not where I used to be when it comes to job position, I have not lost focus of it: it will take me 5-10 years, but I will get there (I had a prominent position working with local and international governments).

In summary, if you plan to come to Canada or if you are already here, one should be ready for chances in their life, culture, job industry patterns, and make yourself part of the system: what is the number one thing Canadian do in the morning? Check the weather! Then, make it part of your life, enjoy the snow, be thankful that you are alive to experience it. I have stopped blaming the Gov for this never ending immigration streamline and the whys...

"It is not where we are but where we are heading to"

Cheers,

SFD
That's true, not giving up, being focus and strong willed will surely attribute to one's dream. Two years ago i had the chance to migrate in another country, i received an invitation to apply for the visa already. But due to personal circumstances, fear add to that, the invitation got expired and the chance just slipped in my hand. I thought i will get again the chance, because the invitation came so easy till i realized rules changed from time to time. I regret that drastic decision i made for not applying, it gave me sleeples nights & restlessness sometimes. But i have to move on and try harder to get back that lost chance.

So i learned that for everythig that you wishes for and you have the chance to realize it, don't think twice rather pursue it. To quote the Alchemist, if you want something, the universe will conspire with you to achieve it.

Good luck to all aspiring immigrants like me :)

CANCANADA

Star Member
Feb 8, 2015
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-02-2017
Nomination.....
31-05-2017
AOR Received.
06-08-2017
Med's Done....
27-07-2017
deerestlovelybear said:
Yes, I have my PR. I was laid off last week and I have free time so I am here and venting our my frustration and to let you guys know of the reality, believe me or not is up to you. I was an applicant years ago and I wished I had learnt more and did my homework, you should be grateful to have people like me who are bold enough and have time to write about our true experience. With your attitude, I wish you good luck!

To people that think it is easy to move, even if you are single, it is not that simple. When you are here, you will find how hard it is to secure housing, and every landlord will ask you to sign 1 year lease, if you move early, you either have to find someone to sublet or have to pay the entire year of lease. Life is not always easy as you wish.

To all others, it's good to have the PR and if you are from countries which is still riddled with corruptions, poverty, diseases then you may find it better here in Canada. But never ever plan your move without doing your homework, never bring entire family at once when you do not have sufficient fund to last for at least 1 year without doing anything.
i sympathise with you for your situation.... since you have practical knowledge of the situation there could you pls tel us how much funds is required to survive modestly for a couple in one year. This info would help new comers budget their funds properly. Thanks!

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Around $3000 per month including house rent.

deerestlovelybear

Jan 20, 2015
neel_saxena said:
Why don't you go to any other province and try there like Nova Scotia...It seems to have most IT related jobs
Guy I told earlier that I am from Toronto. This is the best place for IT already where should I move otherwise? And it is not easy to move, you should read my post, once you are here contract is signed by year not month by month. After you are settled for 1 year, your kids would have gone to local schools here, you don't want to move here and there very often as it would be too much a hassle and disruption. Canada is a cold country, and it is a very arduous and expensive process to move around. Air ticket in Canada is 2, 3 times more expensive with same distant in US due to monopoly. Guys, stop thinking everything is so easy, I have tried hard for 3 years, and I mean VERY VERY hard. I worked till my back is so stiff that I cannot even move at night sometime. You think life is easy in Canada, you should go here and work as a labourer for a week and see how it is. That's why the worst fear for people here is to lose their office job and people can work crazily hard because they know it will be hell slipping down the line of employment.

Reactions: Svet81

pranaEE2015

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19/01/2016
Doc's Request.
20/01/2016
Nomination.....
18-11-2015
AOR Received.
19/01/2016
IELTS Request
L-9, R-9, S-7.5, W-7
Med's Request
20/01/2016
Med's Done....
21/01/2016
Passport Req..
26/04/2016
deerestlovelybear

I totally understand your situation. Not that I have suffered in an alien country, but I have seen hard times in my home country itself. Even with best in class qualification and experience, I could not find a job for almost 2 years. But i was in the comfort of my country and had good backup (as in my better half's job), so that hard time never pressed us too hard. But can't imagine going through a similar phase in an alien country.

So hoping and praying that you find the end of this tunnel and see the light soon buddy!
Make connections over this forum, you may find somebody who may be able to help you with job! Never lose HOPE!

physio

Apr 21, 2012
To all aspiring immigrants this topic should not discourage nor disappoint you, take it as a positive..knowing you have an idea of what lies ahead, life is tough anywhere and this includes canada...be prepared and ready

carl321

Feb 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
deerestlovelybear said:
Guy I told earlier that I am from Toronto. This is the best place for IT already where should I move otherwise? And it is not easy to move, you should read my post, once you are here contract is signed by year not month by month. After you are settled for 1 year, your kids would have gone to local schools here, you don't want to move here and there very often as it would be too much a hassle and disruption. Canada is a cold country, and it is a very arduous and expensive process to move around. Air ticket in Canada is 2, 3 times more expensive with same distant in US due to monopoly. Guys, stop thinking everything is so easy, I have tried hard for 3 years, and I mean VERY VERY hard. I worked till my back is so stiff that I cannot even move at night sometime. You think life is easy in Canada, you should go here and work as a labourer for a week and see how it is. That's why the worst fear for people here is to lose their office job and people can work crazily hard because they know it will be hell slipping down the line of employment.
Have you tried going thru a staffing agency ? Most of my friends got their jobs thru staffing agencies and networking thru local communities.

As far as I have heard it works pretty much like back home.. You need to know people to get hired .. I will pray for you and your family.

Just be positive and strong.

irishIan

Star Member
Apr 10, 2013
But the Toronto job market isnt even luke warm right now. When i came here over 3 years ago i wanted to come to Vancouver or Toronto but after looking hard at the possibilities of job success i decided to vote with my head and play it safe in Alberta. I have never heard of Alberta! But i knew this was the best place to land safely on my feet. I'm an installation technician so i headed to sunny and warm Edmonton LOL. It is or perhaps was, an employee market where companies were desperate to find anyone half decent to actually turn up for work.

The falling oil prices will not have a huge impact on jobs in Alberta, at least not in the near future so why not plan to come here?

Your credentials sound super impressive and all you need to do is to start working anywhere at first and then go hunting...

I would prefer to live in BC or somewhere warm most of the year but we are ruled by our jobs and the money we need for the things we buy.....