+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcher said:
I must be missing something here, Bill C-333 is "An Act to acknowledge that immigrants of Chinese origin were subject to head taxes and other exclusionary measures and to provide for recognition of these actions". Am I looking at the wrong bill?
I am afraid you are :)
You need to search C-333 on parliament site and pick the one for 42nd Parliament, 1st session
I don't think MP Kwan is expecting the law to pass as is, but rather to draw attention on those important issues and generate debate so they could be included in a more massive (and better drafted) Liberal Bill during the next sessions. The same way Ex-MP Shory did with citizenship revocation for terrorists.

DrCaYeBh

Dec 17, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-07-2015
admontreal said:
I am afraid you are :)
You need to search C-333 on parliament site and pick the one for 42nd Parliament, 1st session
I don't think MP Kwan is expecting the law to pass as is, but rather to draw attention on those important issues and generate debate so they could be included in a more massive (and better drafted) Liberal Bill during the next sessions. The same way Ex-MP Shory did with citizenship revocation for terrorists.
That's quite possible. MP Kwan just had a press conference regarding Lost Canadians and she announced a bill that would allow them to resume their citizenship so this bill may be the one she was referring to.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DrCaYeBh said:
That's quite possible. MP Kwan just had a press conference regarding Lost Canadians and she announced a bill that would allow them to resume their citizenship so this bill may be the one she was referring to.
This enactment amends the Citizenship Act to, among other things,
(a) permit certain persons who lost their Canadian citizenship for a specified reason to regain citizenship

I think it's this one.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
So the summary of Bill C-333 is the following:

SUMMARY
(a) permit certain persons who lost their Canadian citizenship for a specified reason to regain citizenship;
(b) allow a person to acquire Canadian citizenship despite being born outside Canada to a Canadian parent who was born outside Canada if the person establishes that the parent has or had a substantial connection to Canada;
(c) provide for a hearing by the Immigration Appeal Division before a person’s citizenship may be revoked for false representation or fraud or for knowingly concealing material circumstances;
(d) limit the period for which the Minister may suspend the processing of an application for citizenship;
(e) provide that the prohibition against granting citizenship does not apply in respect of a person who was dealt with under the Youth Criminal Justice Act or would have been if the offence had been committed in Canada; and
(f) clarify that no decision, action or declaration may be made that would render a person stateless.
It also amends the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to repeal provisions related to inadmissibility and loss of status resulting from the cessation of refugee protection for permanent residents.

On the other hand, Bill C-6's summary is:

SUMMARY
(a) remove the grounds for the revocation of Canadian citizenship that relate to national security;
(b) remove the requirement that an applicant intend, if granted citizenship, to continue to reside in Canada;
(c) reduce the number of days during which a person must have been physically present in Canada before applying for citizenship and provide that, in the calculation of the length of physical presence, the number of days during which the person was physically present in Canada before becoming a permanent resident may be taken into account;
(d) limit the requirement to demonstrate knowledge of Canada and of one of its official languages to applicants between the ages of 18 and 54; and
(e) authorize the Minister to seize any document that he or she has reasonable grounds to believe was fraudulently or improperly obtained or used or could be fraudulently or improperly used.

It also makes consequential amendments to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
marcher said:
So the summary of Bill C-333 is the following:

SUMMARY
(a) permit certain persons who lost their Canadian citizenship for a specified reason to regain citizenship;
(b) allow a person to acquire Canadian citizenship despite being born outside Canada to a Canadian parent who was born outside Canada if the person establishes that the parent has or had a substantial connection to Canada;
(c) provide for a hearing by the Immigration Appeal Division before a person’s citizenship may be revoked for false representation or fraud or for knowingly concealing material circumstances;
(d) limit the period for which the Minister may suspend the processing of an application for citizenship;
(e) provide that the prohibition against granting citizenship does not apply in respect of a person who was dealt with under the Youth Criminal Justice Act or would have been if the offence had been committed in Canada; and
(f) clarify that no decision, action or declaration may be made that would render a person stateless.
It also amends the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to repeal provisions related to inadmissibility and loss of status resulting from the cessation of refugee protection for permanent residents.

On the other hand, Bill C-6's summary is:

SUMMARY
(a) remove the grounds for the revocation of Canadian citizenship that relate to national security;
(b) remove the requirement that an applicant intend, if granted citizenship, to continue to reside in Canada;
(c) reduce the number of days during which a person must have been physically present in Canada before applying for citizenship and provide that, in the calculation of the length of physical presence, the number of days during which the person was physically present in Canada before becoming a permanent resident may be taken into account;
(d) limit the requirement to demonstrate knowledge of Canada and of one of its official languages to applicants between the ages of 18 and 54; and
(e) authorize the Minister to seize any document that he or she has reasonable grounds to believe was fraudulently or improperly obtained or used or could be fraudulently or improperly used.

It also makes consequential amendments to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
C-333's seems to be referring to those who lost their citizenship based on fraud or concealing information of some type; C-6 is specifically addressing those losing citizenship for national security issues. Looks like C-333 is the Monsef-Protection Act; interesting that it came from an NDP MP; but thinking about it, Jenny Kwan has always been an advocate of immigrant rights.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcher said:
C-333's seems to be referring to those who lost their citizenship based on fraud or concealing information of some type; C-6 is specifically addressing those losing citizenship for national security issues. Looks like C-333 is the Monsef-Protection Act; interesting that it came from an NDP MP; but thinking about it, Jenny Kwan has always been an advocate of immigrant rights.
Let's not forget that the 2nd generation limit is addressed in MP Kwan's Bill. This Bill looks more like a first patch to the C-6 Gaps.

subha_1962

Dec 20, 2013
I know we are all waiting for C 6 to be approved, but in the meantime here is a news article that we could be proud of as future Canadians - something other than bill c 6 while we are vacationing. :)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/04/the-canada-experiment-is-this-the-worlds-first-postnational-country?CMP=share_

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
subha_1962 said:
I know we are all waiting for C 6 to be approved, but in the meantime here is a news article that we could be proud of as future Canadians - something other than bill c 6 while we are vacationing. :)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/04/the-canada-experiment-is-this-the-worlds-first-postnational-country?CMP=share_
Interesting article, thanks for sharing subha. I am not sure what the author means by identity; I think Canada has a very strong identity that we all adopt and identify with as immigrants. The special feature of its identity is that it is not a rigid close-minded one; but an open identity that embraces other cultures. A good example is seeing die-hard fans cheering their favourite NHL team while wearing a turban. Trudeau's charisma and open support of diversity did attract more attention to Canada's openness, but it is not fair to say Canada is the only such country. Australia for example is similar and very diverse; and believe it or not, the UK is similar if not more. Just spend an hour in London and you will witness it.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
marcher said:
Australia for example is similar and very diverse; and believe it or not, the UK is similar if not more. Just spend an hour in London and you will witness it.
I would like to add a point, most of immigrants moved to canada because they wanted to live in peace in canada, everyone want to be canadian.
Immigrants some how prefer to have only canadian citizenship, but since they have to visit their parents etc they should keep their home country citizenship.
No body can take adv of us because we will have dual citizenship, we didnt choose this option but we are obliged for this step.

Everyone in this country is immigrant, except who landed before others, you can google European refugees in 1940s and find how they escaped to north america etc.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcher said:
Australia for example is similar and very diverse; and believe it or not, the UK is similar if not more. Just spend an hour in London and you will witness it.
It is very similar in terms of Diversity (having spent some time in London, you're right) , but not anymore in terms of Philosophy. The rhetoric of the current Australian government is just disgusting, while I keep seeing or reading loads of reports about racist incidents in London (especially after the Brexit) and Australia. I remember some of my friends from France who were told to leave a place because they spoke French (a normal thing between homies) in Queensland while they were there in WHV. It's not the same thing at all. Harper would look like mother Theresa compared to Malcolm Turnbull...

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
admontreal said:
It is very similar in terms of Diversity (having spent some time in London, you're right) , but not anymore in terms of Philosophy. The rhetoric of the current Australian government is just disgusting, while I keep seeing or reading loads of reports about racist incidents in London (especially after the Brexit) and Australia. I remember some of my friends from France who were told to leave a place because they spoke French (a normal thing between homies) in Queensland while they were there in WHV. It's not the same thing at all. Harper would look like mother Theresa compared to Malcolm Turnbull...
Sadly Harper will be remembered for the last elections that he lost because of his stand on 'niqab'; which probably was not even his personal idea. But if we overlook that, during his terms immigration increased significantly in Canada. Regarding the incidents in the UK, that is not new, it was just a bit more apparent following Brexit because the media had more interest in it. Similar incidents happen in Canada, especially in Alberta and Quebec. This does not change the fact the vast majority of populations both in the UK and Canada are open minded and embrace immigration. It takes one rotten apple to stink a basket. I cannot comment about Australia as I have never been there nor do I follow its news; I assume Turnbull is their prime minister?

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
would anyone believe that the 3/5 rule be implemented in 2017 ?
Should we think that there would be automatically a huge backlog ?

nofrills

Jun 5, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
AOR Received.
06-07-2015
Passport Req..
11-09-2015
LANDED..........
25-09-2015
admontreal said:
Australia's rhetoric is very shameful, petty and regressive. But if you know about Aust domestic politics other than headlines, you'll know that Turnbull is more progressive than Harper, unfortunately as a progressive LNP leader, he has no balls to stand up to his conservative MPs Dutton and Abbott.

Looking at the facts: Harper was a nasty piece of work - his nativist Trumpesque talk of 'old stock' Canadians; his second-tier citizenship law; the detention centres that still exist today; and his intense focus on Islamophobia in the election.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nofrills said:
Australia's rhetoric is very shameful, petty and regressive. But if you know about Aust domestic politics other than headlines, you'll know that Turnbull is more progressive than Harper, unfortunately as a progressive LNP leader, he has no balls to stand up to his conservative MPs Dutton and Abbott.

Looking at the facts: Harper was a nasty piece of work - his nativist Trumpesque talk of 'old stock' Canadians; his second-tier citizenship law; the detention centres that still exist today; and his intense focus on Islamophobia in the election.
He is more progressive, I agree, but in a country where only the Greens stood against the two-tier citizenship law, does it really matter ?
Agreed on all you said for Harper.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
tyl92 said:
would anyone believe that the 3/5 rule be implemented in 2017 ?
Should we think that there would be automatically a huge backlog ?
Yes 3/5 will be applied immediately once c6 is approved, I am sure of it because its not logic you completed 1095 days and you must wait 12 months more.

There will be no backlog at all because past 3 years canada took few immigrants compared to 2016 and 2017 plan