+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
monalisa said:
Yes 3/5 will be applied immediately once c6 is approved, I am sure of it because its not logic you completed 1095 days and you must wait 12 months more.

There will be no backlog at all because past 3 years canada took few immigrants compared to 2016 and 2017 plan
Let me also add this caveat: the above message is based on monalisa's speculation :).

Saga

Star Member
Feb 20, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 September 2010
AOR Received.
26 September 2010
Med's Request
22 February 2011
Med's Done....
29 March 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
19 April 2011
LANDED..........
26 May 2011
monalisa said:
Yes 3/5 will be applied immediately once c6 is approved, I am sure of it because its not logic you completed 1095 days and you must wait 12 months more.

There will be no backlog at all because past 3 years canada took few immigrants compared to 2016 and 2017 plan
Unfortunately this is pure speculation and probably not accurate at all. You should be reminded that permanent residency is provided by the government to live in Canada permanently. So in the eyes of the government whether it is 3/5 or 4/6 or whatever else, it does not have an impact on residence as it is assumed that all will be living here. So unless you are planning on leaving the following day you are sworn in, the rule will not change much for you.

Even if you are planning on leaving Canada after you become citizen, a lot of people who became citizens 20 years ago are still being stopped at the airport and questioned about their residence outside the country. The government uses a term for them called "citizen of convenience" you can even google it. I have lots of friends who were naturalized in Canada in the 90s and who live/work in another country who get seriously questioned and sometimes investigated when they come back to the country. While you will not lose your citizenship for doing that but it will leave a mark on you each time you have to do a government application (Trust me I know what I am talking about)

Also logically, any new such rule entails that the government will have to find additional people to handle the large volume of cases, train them, issue new applications, process adjustments, and all this takes time and before all of this is figured out, the government will probably not implement the 3/5 rule even if the bill takes royal ascent. Look at Bill-24, it took the government 1 full year to apply the 4/6 rule while all other articles have been implemented earlier.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
monalisa said:

I don't agree with this at all. New policies mean that the CIC employees reviewing applications must be trained on the new rules, and new forms, etc. must be created. As we saw when C-24 was introduced, there was a delay between the bill becoming law and the law being implemented.

I also disagree with the second part of your message. Yes, the number of immigrants was slightly below targets, but it was significantly higher than previous years. This, combined with the fact that two "cohorts" of new citizens (those who have completed 3 years and those who were waiting to complete 4 years) will be applying together, there is a high likelihood of increased processing times. Hopefully the government anticipates this and takes the necessary actions to increase headcount, but who knows.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
Saga said:
Unfortunately this is pure speculation and probably not accurate at all. You should be reminded that permanent residency is provided by the government to live in Canada permanently. So in the eyes of the government whether it is 3/5 or 4/6 or whatever else, it does not have an impact on residence as it is assumed that all will be living here. So unless you are planning on leaving the following day you are sworn in, the rule will not change much for you.

Even if you are planning on leaving Canada after you become citizen, a lot of people who became citizens 20 years ago are still being stopped at the airport and questioned about their residence outside the country. The government uses a term for them called "citizen of convenience" you can even google it. I have lots of friends who were naturalized in Canada in the 90s and who live/work in another country who get seriously questioned and sometimes investigated when they come back to the country. While you will not lose your citizenship for doing that but it will leave a mark on you each time you have to do a government application (Trust me I know what I am talking about)

Also logically, any new such rule entails that the government will have to find additional people to handle the large volume of cases, train them, issue new applications, process adjustments, and all this takes time and before all of this is figured out, the government will probably not implement the 3/5 rule even if the bill takes royal ascent. Look at Bill-24, it took the government 1 full year to apply the 4/6 rule while all other articles have been implemented earlier.
I dont care, i have british passport ;) as well my husband is canadian, not leaving

Richard11

Star Member
Apr 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi guys i didnt go bed tonight ,but i really want to know those senators when are they come back from Caribbean
islands?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Richard11 said:
hi guys i didnt go bed tonight ,but i really want to know those senators when are they come back from Caribbean
islands?
1. Don't get your knickers in a knot. The Senate's first day of sitting is January 31st. http://www.parl.gc.ca/ParlBusiness/senate/calendar/cal2017-e.htm

Saga

Star Member
Feb 20, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 September 2010
AOR Received.
26 September 2010
Med's Request
22 February 2011
Med's Done....
29 March 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
19 April 2011
LANDED..........
26 May 2011
monalisa said:
I dont care, i have british passport ;) as well my husband is canadian, not leaving
Not to be pushy but I have a visa waiver passport as well and my wife is Canadian. But in the eyes of the government, the second you became PR, your nationality does not count anymore and it is your Canadian credentials that identify you for the Canadian government. Your British passport will facilitate your re-entry to the country but will not accomplish anything else here.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Saga said:
Not to be pushy but I have a visa waiver passport as well and my wife is Canadian. But in the eyes of the government, the second you became PR, your nationality does not count anymore and it is your Canadian credentials that identify you for the Canadian government. Your British passport will facilitate your re-entry to the country but will not accomplish anything else here.
I don't think Monalisa meant that being British entitles her to anything special.

But you reminded me of some fellow French citizens who used to show up in Montreal as tourists and think they were entitled to lifetime residency and benefits just because they were French, thinking Quebec was part of the Schengen area or something because of the historical links (that nobody care about today to be honest). When I would explain to them the truth (and the process I went through), they wouldn't believe me and tell me that somebody told somebody who told them back home that there was an agreement between France and Quebec that allowed them to be special here, which is completely false. Ignorance and innocence are still here, even in the 21st century.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
admontreal said:
I don't think Monalisa meant that being British entitles her to anything special.
That's it, they misunderstood.

I meant that my british passport has good value, i dont have to wait for canadian in order to travel :)

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Liberal govt is too damn slow to do anything on this, becaz their own families are not affected. It's not a priority for them.
Only immigrants are forced to wait so long even when the fees are now $630, up from $200 back in the day.
My wife has qualified on the 4/6 and its useless to have the 3/5 for her now, and for many others as well.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
monalisa said:
That's it, they misunderstood.

I meant that my british passport has good value, i dont have to wait for canadian in order to travel :)
Same here. My French passport was even better ranked than the Canadian one in terms of travel freedom.

But believe me, nothing can make you prouder and happier than being Canadian :) especially when you earn it !! :D

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
admontreal said:
Same here. My French passport was even better ranked than the Canadian one in terms of travel freedom.

But believe me, nothing can make you prouder and happier than being Canadian :) especially when you earn it !! :D
no doubt would be proud to b canadian, though i am British as origin,

by the way , health system in france better than in quebec ;) lot of french people(from france) are not happy

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
monalisa said:
no doubt would be proud to b canadian, though i am British as origin,

by the way , health system in france better than in quebec ;) lot of french people(from france) are not happy

I heard good things about the NHS too !
Don't worry, they have the choice between a French version of Trump (Marine LePen) and a French version of Bush (François Fillon) in April. The wonderful Social model that made our pride won't survive that. But anyway, you know that the frogs always complain monalisa, we are never happy :)

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2017/01/05/immigration-applications-could-soon-be-assessed-by-computers.html
Backlog problem solved...
But it is just too good to be true and I don't have too much faith in it - it will probably become reality when Toronto has a new subway line