+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

Asker302

Star Member
May 27, 2016
itsmyid said:
https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2017/01/05/immigration-applications-could-soon-be-assessed-by-computers.html
Backlog problem solved...
But it is just too good to be true and I don't have too much faith in it - it will probably become reality when Toronto has a new subway line

Are any new citizenship rules expected by current liberal government?

Being that most of the immigrants right now will probably be eligible for 4/6 rule by the time Bill C-6 is in force does anybody still supports this particular change (4/6 to 3/5 and counting the pre PR time)?
I now think that the only positive from this bill is going to be removal of the citizenship revocation process

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Asker302 said:

Being that most of the immigrants right now will probably be eligible for 4/6 rule by the time Bill C-6 is in force does anybody still supports this particular change (4/6 to 3/5 and counting the pre PR time)?
I now think that the only positive from this bill is going to be removal of the citizenship revocation process
where did you get the 'most of' idea? There are people becoming PRs everyday, everybody who became PR after 2012 are affected, assuming C-6 is implemented in 2018, PRs from 2014 and after are still not going to be eligible before that - with about the same number of new PRs each year, how did your math get to the 'most' conclusion?

asifmehmood

May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2008
Doc's Request.
Aug 2012
IELTS Request
Submitted with docs
File Transfer...
April 2011
Med's Request
Nov 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
Passport Req..
31/01/13, received at LVO 04/02/13
VISA ISSUED...
25/02/13
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Asker302 said:

It may not benifit you, but others.

Asker302

Star Member
May 27, 2016
itsmyid said:
where did you get the 'most of' idea? There are people becoming PRs everyday, everybody who became PR after 2012 are affected, assuming C-6 is implemented in 2018, PRs from 2014 and after are still not going to be eligible before that - with about the same number of new PRs each year, how did your math get to the 'most' conclusion?

It is now 1.5 years since June 2015, when C-24 became law
People that became PR after June 2015 did so with understanding that they need 4 years of physical presence to gain citizenship, so for these people the new law is "fair"

It was "unfair" to people like myself that had to wait 1-2 years longer to apply, while initially expecting to be under 3/5.
For myself in particular it was it was "unfair" because the change prevented me from voting in the federal elections during end of 2015

Realistically looking at things now there is some chance that C-6 will be law by early 2018, which means that people who became PR in beginning of 2015 will be able to apply right away instead of waiting for 2019. However, these people are not numerous and they are going to face a major backlog because of 1/1.5 yr of PRs suddenly becoming eligible

Asker302

Star Member
May 27, 2016
subha_1962 said:
yes, and as someone mentioned in an earlier post, people are becoming PR'everyday

They know that wait time is 4 years to become citizen. if it will be shorter it is just a nice bonus
besides I'm pretty much sure that once the bill becomes law it will create a backlog of extra 1 yr+

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
The law may creat a backlog at the beginning but i dont think it will go up to one year , the cic has become very fast and now its finishing the applications in just 3 months , so practically there is no backlog at all now. but even in addition to that i think the liberals would try their best to cut the time of processing of the citizenship application as the more citizens they get before their election the more votes they will get from those people who would be very happy to gain a bonus year .

Asker302

Star Member
May 27, 2016
cooldoc80 said:
The law may creat a backlog at the beginning but i dont think it will go up to one year , the cic has become very fast and now its finishing the applications in just 3 months , so practically there is no backlog at all now. but even in addition to that i think the liberals would try their best to cut the time of processing of the citizenship application as the more citizens they get before their election the more votes they will get from those people who would be very happy to gain a bonus year .

The CIC became very fast post changes that removed 1-2 years of qualified applicants

Post June 2015 there were not many new candidates illegible to become citizens. Mostly people that waited much more than necessary to begin with. Only in the recent months the stream of application should begin to grow as people become eligible once more (still not the people with pre PR time, as they were delayed for ~ 2 years)

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
ipfreely said:
They'll put that to work when pigs fly.

Because an officials relatives kins friend will lose his job.
Interesting article. A lot of work presently done by individuals could easily be automated. However two implications stand out, the first being security issues, and the second being loss of jobs. The government has to invest heavily into the security of such a system, because otherwise the consequences would be fatal if some Russian kid was approving citizenships from his basement. As far as loss of jobs is concerned, one could argue that resources would be used for other purposes, but as a government agency, CIC needs to keep job positions and create new ones when possible.
Having said that, such a system will eventually be put in place for sure, it is about time. Sadly it will not impact any of us here, we would most probably be citizens by that time.

guddylover

Dec 31, 2016
marcher said:
Interesting article. A lot of work presently done by individuals could easily be automated. However two implications stand out, the first being security issues, and the second being loss of jobs. The government has to invest heavily into the security of such a system, because otherwise the consequences would be fatal if some Russian kid was approving citizenships from his basement. As far as loss of jobs is concerned, one could argue that resources would be used for other purposes, but as a government agency, CIC needs to keep job positions and create new ones when possible.
Having said that, such a system will eventually be put in place for sure, it is about time. Sadly it will not impact any of us here, we would most probably be citizens by that time.
Just want to know why you cited 'Russian kid'

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
guddylover said:
Just want to know why you cited 'Russian kid'
Marcher probably mentioned this because the U.S.A are blaming the Russians of hacking everything at the moment :D ;D... Sarcasm? ;)

Natan

May 22, 2015
marcher said:
If automating citizenship processing can save person-hours, then those person-hour savings may be applied to other parts of the process that are not automated. In other words, automation could free up workers to do other relevant IRCC work, like making sure backlogs do not form.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
ipfreely said:
Okay professor, thank you for that insightful lecture.

Since you are for automation, what jobs are you goin to give those in the government who have security of tenure in their current position?
It was answered at the end of the article

tarikMontreal

Mar 22, 2015
Asker302 said:
It was "unfair" to people like myself that had to wait 1-2 years longer to apply, while initially expecting to be under 3/5.
For myself in particular it was it was "unfair" because the change prevented me from voting in the federal elections during end of 2015
the conservative party probably made the calculation and found that that group of people (that I call the worst victims of bill c24) is not big enough (probably less than 1 million people) to scare them so they went ahead and passed the law

user3000

Mar 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Looks like John McCallum is getting replaced tomorrow as Immigration Minister, not sure how this is going to effect in coming days..
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-cabinet-shuffle-1.3927947