+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

justinline

May 19, 2009
In the new Bill C-6 will credit be given to time spent before PR status, earlier they got half the credit for the days spent in Canada.

vsoftco

Star Member
Aug 7, 2012
justinline said:
In the new Bill C-6 will credit be given to time spent before PR status, earlier they got half the credit for the days spent in Canada.
It is supposed to restore the pre-PR credit, i.e. will count 2 days pre-PR as one full day towards citizenship, for at most 2 years just before landing as a PR. So you can gain at max 1 additional year.

monalisa

Dec 6, 2016
admontreal said:
If you want a good overview of how it may work for C-6, take a look at how C-14 was handled :

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3640195?client=ms-android-lge

There was a time pressure on this Bill, amendements were voted at the Committee, it went to the HoC which accepted or refused some of them and then went to the Senate for Third reading and RAssent. That's the scenario I foresee for C-6 as well.
Before we discuss it, I would like to ask you but I will search it my self, did liberals had majority in the committee, or not
Isnt it that committee who's liberals changed the committee members to pass it?

DrCaYeBh

Dec 17, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-07-2015
admontreal said:
Hi Dpenabill - long time no talk!

Here's the link of the stories :

They were consecutive to the controversy around Minister Monsef's place of birth.
Moreover, Senator Omidvar and MP Kwan confirmed to me via email that this is the consensus amendment and that they are working with Minister McCallum to get it passed at the Senate Committee level, for what it's worth...
I believe this is the only amendement seriously considered, the aim would be to enhance the Bill, no denature it by removing some key aspects such as the abolition of Intent to reside and terrorist citizenship revocation.

I hope this helps.
Hi,

MP Kwan sponsored bill C-333 which to my understanding addresses the right to appeal decisions by the minister and the IRCC, amongst other things (including 2nd generation Canadians born abroad). The bill is still in first reading.
I am not sure how this affects the way the committee would look at Bill C-6 in terms of amending it to include specifically the real to appeal, so what do you think?

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
monalisa said:
Before we discuss it, I would like to ask you but I will search it my self, did liberals had majority in the committee, or not
Isnt it that committee who's liberals changed the committee members to pass it?
To be honest I don't know the answer to this excellent question. I will also make some research, but I believe that most (if not all) the committees were dominated by Conservatives.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DrCaYeBh said:
Hi,

MP Kwan sponsored bill C-333 which to my understanding addresses the right to appeal decisions by the minister and the IRCC, amongst other things (including 2nd generation Canadians born abroad). The bill is still in first reading.
I am not sure how this affects the way the committee would look at Bill C-6 in terms of amending it to include specifically the real to appeal, so what do you think?
Thank you for raising C-333, I wasn't aware it was already on the table. I will read through it.

My thoughts on your question:

If the Right to appeal amendements are passed with C-6 then I believe C-333 would be amended at HoC commitee by MP Kwan herself to remove her Right to appeal proposed clauses as they would be deemed redundant.

I doubt (but hope) C-333 will go beyond first reading as there's a draft of the private member bills that would proceed to subsequent steps and I don't know if this one made it.

guddylover

Dec 31, 2016
admontreal said:
To be honest I don't know the answer to this excellent question. I will also make some research, but I believe that most (if not all) the committees were dominated by Conservatives.
It's now 40% Cons, 40% Ind, and 20% Libs in SOCI Committee

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
guddylover said:
It's now 40% Cons, 40% Ind, and 20% Libs in SOCI Committee
But at the time it was :

Members of the committee present: The Honourable Senators Baker, P.C., Batters, Boisvenu, Cowan, Dagenais, Eaton, Jaffer, Joyal, P.C., McIntyre, Plett, Runciman and White (12).

DrCaYeBh

Dec 17, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-07-2015
admontreal said:
Thank you for raising C-333, I wasn't aware it was already on the table. I will read through it.

If the Right to appeal amendements are passed with C-6 then I believe C-333 would be amended at HoC commitee by MP Kwan herself to remove her Right to appeal proposed clauses as they would be deemed redundant.

I doubt (but hope) C-333 will go beyond first reading as there's a draft of the private member bills that would proceed to subsequent steps and I don't know if this one made it.
Anytime :)

I really do admire MP Kwan's efforts, she was part of the committee that studied C-6 in the HoC and she tried to add the same amendments there but they turned down most of her proposed amendments if not all as I remember because they ruled it to be out of scope. Too bad they did so, since it would have saved time now, if they're really looking to amend the bill.

I agree with you that this being a private member's bill and with many preceding it, it may not see the light of day but one can only hope...

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DrCaYeBh said:
Anytime :)

I really do admire MP Kwan's efforts, she was part of the committee that studied C-6 in the HoC and she tried to add the same amendments there but they turned down most of her proposed amendments if not all as I remember because they ruled it to be out of scope. Too bad they did so, since it would have saved time now, if they're really looking to amend the bill.

I agree with you that this being a private member's bill and with many preceding it, it may not see the light of day but one can only hope...
I just read the Bill. Very interesting content. However the 2nd generation proposal seems really strange to me. I am not sure how this would help a kid born outside Canada to foreign-born Canadian parents to avoid statelessness.

DrCaYeBh

Dec 17, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-07-2015
admontreal said:
I just read the Bill. Very interesting content. However the 2nd generation proposal seems really strange to me. I am not sure how this would help a kid born outside Canada to foreign-born Canadian parents to avoid statelessness. They basically ask you to have either spent 3 years in Canada or to have created a 'substantial' link with Canada. How can you do that when you are a few weeks old in a Foreign country ?
I am not aware of the details but even if the child is not eligible for citizenship, s/he may be able to enter the country under a different status if either parent is a citizen and thus be able to spend the 1095 days (Speculation). I must admit it is a strange clause, upon reading the first time, I must have assumed they were talking about the parents not the child.

If this bill makes it to committee, I believe it will be amended.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DrCaYeBh said:
I am not aware of the details but even if the child is not eligible for citizenship, s/he may be able to enter the country under a different status if either parent is a citizen and thus be able to spend the 1095 days (Speculation). I must admit it is a strange clause, upon reading the first time, I must have assumed they were talking about the parents not the child.

If this bill makes it to committee, I believe it will be amended.
Agreed. Let's hope it will make it to committee. If the government can barely pass one bill per quarter I hardly imagine how an NDP MP can pass such a bill ...

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
admontreal said:

I must be missing something here, Bill C-333 is "An Act to acknowledge that immigrants of Chinese origin were subject to head taxes and other exclusionary measures and to provide for recognition of these actions". Am I looking at the wrong bill?

DrCaYeBh

Dec 17, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-07-2015
marcher said:
I must be missing something here, Bill C-333 is "An Act to acknowledge that immigrants of Chinese origin were subject to head taxes and other exclusionary measures and to provide for recognition of these actions". Am I looking at the wrong bill?
I cant post links for some reason so remove the spaces. The one you found is a historical bill under the same name.

www . parl .gc .ca/ HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&DocId=8705345