+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

HSD

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
torontosm said:
As opposed to your posts whining about how you have to live in Canada for an extra year to become a citizen?
Since when have i really "Complained" that I have to live an extra year to become a citizen.Moreover if me or any of my fellow immigrants become citizen a year earlier(if c6 comes into effect) why is it hurting you soo much.You need to relax your mind a bit.

and you know what I am thinking atm?In less than a year c6 will become a law.Most of the members here will never visit this forum again.We will all become responsible citizens and contribute to the progress of this great nation.

alxms10

Dec 16, 2016
London-UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London-UK, then Paris-France, then Cairo-Egypt
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-06-2016
Doc's Request.
19-10-2016
AOR Received.
17-11-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
05/05/2017, then 05/06/2017
VISA ISSUED...
22/06/2017
LANDED..........
07/08/2017
HSD said:
and you know what I am thinking atm?In less than a year c6 will become a law.Most of the members here will never visit this forum again.We will all become responsible citizens and contribute to the progress of this great nation.
Beautifully said

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
admontreal said:
Yes. And that Conservative Senators won't block it nor amend it against the House of Commons will.
Well first Happy New Year to you and the rest of colleagues on this forum. I had a break from this forum to enjoy the holidays. I read the Globe & Mail article shared by someone above. It is very interesting what it says about possible amendments. I know you do not think that will happen, but I think it is a 50/50 chance. The amendment unlike what we were speculating before, is to include the right to appeal citizenship revocation. Now that is very interesting, it doesn't eliminate the second class citizenship, but it gives the person a chance to defend himself/herself. This kind of protects those that might have their citizenship revoked for reasons other than terrorism.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
torontosm said:
Did you ever consider that people come on these forums to seek advice and guidance from experienced folk who have been through these things before? They certainly don't come on here to hear meaningless whinging from people like yourself who care only about their own personal case and want to see laws amended to suit their individual needs.
Dude can you drop it please? The other thread was closed down just because of side arguments like this. By the way Happy New Year and good luck on your application :)

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcher said:
Well first Happy New Year to you and the rest of colleagues on this forum. I had a break from this forum to enjoy the holidays. I read the Globe & Mail article shared by someone above. It is very interesting what it says about possible amendments. I know you do not think that will happen, but I think it is a 50/50 chance. The amendment unlike what we were speculating before, is to include the right to appeal citizenship revocation. Now that is very interesting, it doesn't eliminate the second class citizenship, but it gives the person a chance to defend himself/herself. This kind of protects those that might have their citizenship revoked for reasons other than terrorism.
Thank you marcher. Happy New Year to you too.
You are right, the revocation safeguards amendment will pass because it results from a collaboration between Minister McCallum, Senator Omidvar and MP Kwan. The other radical amendments that the Cons want to introduce don't stand a chance as the HoC will never accept them.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
marcher said:
I agree that such amendments would be a great compromise for both sides. It retains the "teeth" of the deal while providing a suitable avenue for people to defend themselves as needed. I also think its encouraging for Canada as a whole that the Senate sees its role evolving from a forum to either rubber-stamp or blindly reject bills to one where they must independently evaluate and try to improve them.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ipfreely said:
Does that means to say your senate has no experience on how to do their jobs nor self evaluate their purpose as stipulated somewhere in the anals of the commonwealth monarchy laws?

No wonder they follow or not follow, who ever the leader is.

I smell a third world.

Self admission done unconsciously is such a bummer.

Hahahahahahaha!
No it says that the Senate has a role of sober second thought before approving the legislations.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
admontreal said:
No it says that the Senate has a role of sober second thought before approving the legislations.
The conclusions some people derive from a straight forward article is rather mesmerizing for all the wrong reasons ...

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
ipfreely said:
Yes, on paper they have to, but do they do it or have ever done it?
Do you know when was the last time the Senate rejected a bill completely? Back in 1996 when Jean Chretien’s Liberal government tried to pass legislation limiting the amount Toronto Pearson International Airport could be granted in its lawsuit against the government itself. Over 20 years ago! Also, since 1909, about 5,000 government bills have moved from the House to the upper chamber and became law; and only 133 have been rejected.

Keep in mind that the Senate approved several bills during Harper's era that were cancelled later by the Supreme Court because they were unconstitutional. So in reality, the Senate is just a formal process that does not necessarily dictate anything. The only issue we have now is JT created a field within the Senate that will slow down everything; that is all it can do, just slow it down. Sometimes one wonders if he is running a government or performing in a Disney movie; at least he has the looks for a Disney prince :).

According to my understanding, there was nothing legally stopping JT from filling every empty Senate seat with a Liberal Senator to ensure a smooth process for every bill that passed through the HoC.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
marcher said:
Do you know when was the last time the Senate rejected a bill completely? Back in 1996 when Jean Chretien’s Liberal government tried to pass legislation limiting the amount Toronto Pearson International Airport could be granted in its lawsuit against the government itself. Over 20 years ago! Also, since 1909, about 5,000 government bills have moved from the House to the upper chamber and became law; and only 133 have been rejected.

Keep in mind that the Senate approved several bills during Harper's era that were cancelled later by the Supreme Court because they were unconstitutional. So in reality, the Senate is just a formal process that does not necessarily dictate anything. The only issue we have now is JT created a field within the Senate that will slow down everything; that is all it can do, just slow it down. Sometimes one wonders if he is running a government or performing in a Disney movie; at least he has the looks for a Disney prince :).

According to my understanding, there was nothing legally stopping JT from filling every empty Senate seat with a Liberal Senator to ensure a smooth process for every bill that passed through the HoC.
Didn't the Senate kill the climate change bill in 2010 as well? I recall them doing that without even debating it.

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
torontosm said:
Didn't the Senate kill the climate change bill in 2010 as well? I recall them doing that without even debating it.
I stand corrected, that did actually happen. But it was a unique dirty move in which the Senators didn't even discuss the bill. They used the fact more than 15 Liberals were absent to kill the bill. That cannot and will not happen under the present government though.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marcher said:
The conclusions some people derive from a straight forward article is rather mesmerizing for all the wrong reasons ...
Well we didn't draw any conclusions really, and none of that is news to us right ?

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
admontreal said:
Well we didn't draw any conclusions really, and none of that is news to us right ?
I did not mean you, I meant the fella that said this resembles a third world system.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
Forget all

you can become senator advisory yourself. Positions are open

https://www.canada.ca/en/campaign/independent-advisory-board-for-senate-appointments.html?_ga=1.56118251.1141805263.1458597617

:) 8)

Thanks
Syed B

marcher

Mar 30, 2016
badar14 said:
Forget all

you can become senator advisory yourself. Positions are open

https://www.canada.ca/en/campaign/independent-advisory-board-for-senate-appointments.html?_ga=1.56118251.1141805263.1458597617

:) 8)

Thanks
Syed B
sure, you can include commenting on this thread as relevant experience on your resume :D