+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

deadbird

Jan 9, 2016
spyfy said:
For all those people that are so eager about 3/5 rule and complain that this amendment will delay the process, here are my thoughts:

1. Up until now this planned amendment by Omidvar was responsible for exactly 0.000 seconds of delays. You are all freaking out about the possibility that maybe (!) the amendment will delay the bill significantly from now on and then criticize Omidvar for it. So you are construing a hypothetical situation to then complain about it. How about we all make less speculations?

2. In fact the problems the Conservative Senators have with this bill aren't about the amendment regarding appeals process. The problems they have are 99% about the citizenship revocation for terrorists part. So what makes you think that the amendment will make this bill more likely to fail?

3. I get that we are all excited for the 3/5 rule, myself included. But if this bill passes without the amendment, sure, you will get the 3/5 rule maybe some weeks earlier. But instead, your citizenship that you got oh-so-much-faster-thanks-to-no-amendment could be taken away by a CIC officer at any time because he thinks a random mistake you made in your PR or citizenship application is a misrepresentation. You would have no chance. Not a single change. No. Chance. At. All. to challenge this decision by the CIC officer. You just have to accept it. There is plenty of stories about unfair decisions in the newspaper, including people who got their citizenship taken away after living in Canada for decades, simply because their parents misrepresented something in their application when they themselves were 6 months old. These people have no right to appeal as of now. How can you not care about that?
What good is it to get citizenship some weeks earlier (and that is the kind of delay this amendment will maybe (!) cause) but then it can be taken away from you without due process.
You will be waiting for 3/5 rule for some more weeks or months, but you will be a citizen for the rest of your life. So in fact this amendment will affect you and protect you for years to come.
So maybe you should give Omidvar some credit for that.
Extremely well put! I can't believe that the folks clamoring for the bill to pass are being so short sighted. Due process is one of the hallmarks of civilized societies. What good is a Canadian citizenship if none of these protections apply.

JasFer

Mar 6, 2017
deadbird said:
Extremely well put! I can't believe that the folks clamoring for the bill to pass are being so short sighted. Due process is one of the hallmarks of civilized societies. What good is a Canadian citizenship if none of these protections apply.
I guess our opinions and judgements are sometimes clouded by our emotions, which in this case is both; frustration as well as excitement. I'm glad that we are reminded of the importance of what Omidvar is doing as it could benefit us all in the long run.

JasFer

Mar 6, 2017
Sen. Mobina Jaffer‏
Account verificato
@SenJaffer

#C6 this afternoon Senator McCoy will move amendment . Please live stream #senCA

rasmy

Nov 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
davidken1 said:
Any one with the sen audio link? The one i have here seem not working

Thx fella
http://senparlvu.parl.gc.ca/XRender/en/PowerBrowser/PowerBrowserV2/20170301/-1/6615?useragent=Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; rv:11.0) like Gecko

Divine Favour

Star Member
Feb 22, 2014
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
Dec 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
May 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May 2014
LANDED..........
July 2014
update on what is happening. can't listen in

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Divine Favour said:
update on what is happening. can't listen in
It's still question period. They are not at the Orders of the Day yet.

Divine Favour

Star Member
Feb 22, 2014
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
Dec 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
May 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May 2014
LANDED..........
July 2014

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Senator McCoy is now presenting the amendment. She explained: It is her, not Omidvar, introducing the amendment since for procedural reasons the sponsor of the bill (Omidvar) can't propose an amendment herself.