+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

Yogi3845

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
At times I believe, now it is better to remain PR in stead of going for citizenship. With PR, you may live outside for any 3 years without bothering about intent to reside. With new citizenship law, the intent to reside sword always hangs.

om saif

Dec 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
guys, my brother got the citizenship one year ago and he is expecting a baby. will she get the citizenship as well or not according to the law?

paw339

Star Member
May 28, 2014
The "intend to reside" clause isn't that complicated. If you are planning on leaving Canada (Canada will no longer be your home) after being granted citizenship you do not "intend to reside" and therefore cannot apply for Citizenship. However once you have become a Citizen you are free to change your mind and leave Canada at any time with no risk of losing your citizenship.

The problem is that unfortunately there will be a number of individuals who will just lie about the fact that they "intend to reside", which will then end up throwing suspicion on any new canadian citizen who leaves Canada soon after they become a citizen.

If you are applying for jobs overseas before being granted citizenship and you subsequently leave Canada thats pretty good evidence that you did not "intend to reside" and probably would be sufficient grounds to strip you of your citizenship.

There are a couple of exceptions (eg posted overseas when working for a Canadian company)

glowingheart

May 27, 2010
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 26 2010
Doc's Request.
July 27 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 19 2010
IELTS Request
done before application
File Transfer...
Aug 4 2010
Med's Request
March 12 2012
Med's Done....
March 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
om saif said:
guys, my brother got the citizenship one year ago and he is expecting a baby. will she get the citizenship as well or not according to the law?
where will the baby be born?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
om saif said:
Yes, the child of a naturalized citizen who is born after the date of naturalization will be a citizen, no matter where in the world the child is born. However, if that child is born outside of Canada and then has a child of his or her own, also born outside of Canada, that child will not be a Canadian citizen under most circumstances.

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
Munchenxx said:
The best solution is to veto the Conserverants once we obtain citizenship!
I totally agree! After what they have done to us, I will make it a point to fight the Cons, starting now even if I cannot vote yet. I left the US to get away from those regressive freaks, and yet they have their own party up here, it seems.

ingotiblum

Jul 31, 2013
Here's a scenario that will, for sure, happen to some people:

Say you get your citizenship according to the new law, and few months later you get a good job offer from the US. You leave for 2 years, and then decide to come back. During your absence, a lot of people gets their citizenship questioned due to leaving Canada immediately after obtaining citizenship (it is going to keep happening, no matter what law the government puts in place).

So, you want come back to Canada, you even found a job and have an offer, but you get in trouble because now you are being treated / regarded as one of "those guys".

The question is: you loose your citizenship, what are you then to Canada? You are not a PR anymore, because you lost that status as soon as you became a citizen.

Are you a visitor, do you need a work visa? Kids are starting school in 2 weeks, job offer is waiting, your spouse is looking for work as well... and then what? You go back to where you came from originaly? Start fighting the system, prooving that in the moment of signing the intent to reside, you weren't looking for that US job?

I became a PR a few months ago and have no intention whatsoever to leave Canada, but it is not hard to see that a lot a honest people will get in serious truble because of those who are abusing the system. And the number of abusers will remain the same, they will just have to adjust their timeline a bit due to the changes in the law.

I understand the increase from 3 to 4 years, I even understand no more pre-pr time (even though it affects me)... but intend to reside is something that can, and I'm affraid will, be used in a bad way.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ingotiblum said:
Here's a scenario that will, for sure, happen to some people:

Say you get your citizenship according to the new law, and few months later you get a good job offer from the US. You leave for 2 years, and then decide to come back. During your absence, a lot of people gets their citizenship questioned due to leaving Canada immediately after obtaining citizenship (it is going to keep happening, no matter what law the government puts in place).

So, you want come back to Canada, you even found a job and have an offer, but you get in trouble because now you are being treated / regarded as one of "those guys".

The question is: you loose your citizenship, what are you then to Canada? You are not a PR anymore, because you lost that status as soon as you became a citizen.

Are you a visitor, do you need a work visa? Kids are starting school in 2 weeks, job offer is waiting, your spouse is looking for work as well... and then what? You go back to where you came from originaly? Start fighting the system, prooving that in the moment of signing the intent to reside, you weren't looking for that US job?

I became a PR a few months ago and have no intention whatsoever to leave Canada, but it is not hard to see that a lot a honest people will get in serious truble because of those who are abusing the system. And the number of abusers will remain the same, they will just have to adjust their timeline a bit due to the changes in the law.

I understand the increase from 3 to 4 years, I even understand no more pre-pr time (even though it affects me)... but intend to reside is something that can, and I'm affraid will, be used in a bad way.
Guys ignore this post, too much drama, none of that will happen.

Can we now get over the intent to reside clause? The only place I see it being discussed is here in this forum. No one is even talking about challnenging it in court.

Munchenxx

Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"but it is not hard to see that a lot a honest people will get in serious truble because of those who are abusing the system"

Though have no intention to leave this country after getting citizenship, I totally disagree with this kind of statements.
I believe the rights to move to wherever freely is a basic human right from God and should not be deprived of by any kind of "system" created by the stupid politicians!
So, screw the "system"~~!

Yunem

Jun 25, 2014
Me and my wife became a Canadian Citizen in 2007. Our daughter was born in Canada in 2009 (obviously she is Canadian citizen)
After 3 years (in 2010) I found a job in my back home and we left Canada..
Since that day we are living out of Canada.

So it means, according to new law; we will lose our citizenship and not able to enter to Canada anymore??????

I misunderstood or not???

I'm seriously thinking to go back Canada again...

Best Regards,

mirki

Jun 12, 2014
Munchenxx said:
I believe the rights to move to wherever freely is a basic human right from God and should not be deprived of by any kind of "system" created by the stupid politicians!
Agreed. What I am wandering is also the 'technical' aspect of the 'intent to reside' requirement. If they really want to enforce this, they will need special technical systems and trained personnel to keep tab on people -to put them under 'surveillance'. What would happen, say, if I leave Canada and come back 3 years later? How would they sort me? Would they check my status from the computer and question my intention at the border? Would they put me in detention at the Canadian borders? Any of these practices would violate fundamental human rights. If we have law in this country, none of these practices should be acceptable.

Another option would be that, they will have a special 'surveillance unit' spying on Canadian people living abroad. It might be easy to strip people's citizenship if they do not visit Canada for a certain amount of time -say for 3 years-. But then people would simply visit Canada for short periods. The only way to enforce this would be to create a special surveillance unit that would calculate the amount of time each people have spent in Canada each year, and if they have job contracts in Canada, etc. That would cost too much money as well as turning Canada into truly a police state.

goraya_40

May 29, 2014
I done my celpip General LS test scores 2H in listening and 3H in speaking it's ok for applying for citizenship plz advise me thanks