+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to news reports, it looks as though C-24 will pass the Commons and Senate as soon as this week! It will then receive Royal Assent soon thereafter, which will give SOME of the law immediate effect. However, it appears that the section that changes the number of years required to apply for citizenship will not take effect until "a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council". That date could be days, weeks, or months from now. I would give the link, but it's not allowed.

taleodor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anon123 said:
I reflected more on this bill, I think it's too late now to change anything. We need to relax and accept it for what it is. May be it is not perfect but many other bills share its weaknesses. C-24 attracted our attention because it makes us wait longer before we can proudly carry our Canadian passports. A lot of people (like me) are bitter and looking at every clause under the microscope.
But may be it is because some of us come from countries with corrupt officials, we don't trust them, and we are afraid of every law which can be abused. This is not the Canadian way. May be the Minister is right, we should take the next 2 years to think about what it really means to be Canadian, to forget our bad experiences from home countries and learn to trust our politicians. It is probably for the best. If used wisely Bill C-24 will make our home a safer place. North America is not the place for philosophycal rights, but for opportunity and safety. Once a criminal, always a criminal. Thus, we should be extra careful, there are enough laws out there to destroy your life even for the smallest of infractions.
Conservatives are not forever. The bill will be challenged in the courts. If we show that a lot of people are against this bill, which is naturally anti-immigrant, it may be seriously amended later.

I mean, that's the way I prefer to think about it. I also like to know that I did everything reasonably possible to protect my interests. +Most processes are only starting once the bill becomes law; the more issues raised against this bill/law, the more opportunities to change the most anti-immigrant clauses.

P.s. The Minister has clearly proven he's incompetent, I wouldn't rely in what he says in any case.

polarbear

Sep 17, 2012
alphazip said:
According to news reports, it looks as though C-24 will pass the Commons and Senate as soon as this week! It will then receive Royal Assent soon thereafter, which will give SOME of the law immediate effect. However, it appears that the section that changes the number of years required to apply for citizenship will not take effect until "a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council". That date could be days, weeks, or months from now. I would give the link, but it's not allowed.
I don't think so, there are no meetings in the Senate for C-24 this week. Please check the link. :mad:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/sencommitteebusiness/allmeetings.aspx?parl=41&ses=2&Language=E

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
polarbear said:
I don't think so, there are no meetings in the Senate for C-24 this week. Please check the link. :mad:
http://www.parl.gc.ca/sencommitteebusiness/allmeetings.aspx?parl=41&ses=2&Language=E
Those are committee meetings ... not related to actual agenda.

I still don't think the Bill can pass .. First reading is expected to go fast anyways .. if second reading passed in the next 2 days .. then they might be a chance the bill passes before the Summer break .. but it wont come into force immediately anyways .. there should be a 6 months minimum period at least.

shaazdeh

Jan 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Sicko, could you please tell me where I can see the actual agenda of senate? thanks

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
shaazdeh said:
Hi Sicko, could you please tell me where I can see the actual agenda of senate? thanks
I tried to find it man .. I couldn't .. there is a daily meeting agenda only updated every day.

Based on the Calender though they are going to meet this week: Tuesday(Tomorrow),Wednesday,Thursday, Maybe (Friday)
And Next week: Wednesday,Thursday,Friday(27th) the Last Day.

I am not sure how they will be able to pass this in only that short time.

They have other bills to discuss .. I am not sure if their only focus will be to pass this Bill only.

Royal Assent usually takes 1-2 days more after the third reading .. so you are taking about a limit of 5 business days for Second meetings,Committee reviews and third reading so they can pass it before Summer break

polarbear

Sep 17, 2012
sicko86 said:
I tried to find it man .. I couldn't .. there is a daily meeting agenda only updated every day.

Based on the Calender though they are going to meet this week: Tuesday(Tomorrow),Wednesday,Thursday, Maybe (Friday)
And Next week: Wednesday,Thursday,Friday(27th) the Last Day.

I am not sure how they will be able to pass this in only that short time.

They have other bills to discuss .. I am not sure if there only focus will be to pass this Bill only.

Royal Assent usually takes 1-2 days more after the third reading .. so you are taking about a limit of 5 business days for Second meetings,Committee reviews and third reading so they can pass it before Summer break
Senate has exactly 6 working days starting from tomorrow and next week. :mad:

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
polarbear said:
Senate has exactly 6 working days starting from tomorrow and next week. :mad:
Yes.. which means passing a bill like that in a matter of 6 days will be insanity!! Actually it is 6 or 7 .. This Friday (is not confirmed as sitting day). So 6 days excluding Friday. if you want also to give the Royal Assent 1 day following the third reading .. you are taking about 5 business days only (Excluding this Friday). This will be mission impossible!

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sicko86 said:
Those are committee meetings ... not related to actual agenda.

I still don't think the Bill can pass .. First reading is expected to go fast anyways .. if second reading passed in the next 2 days .. then they might be a chance the bill passes before the Summer break .. but it wont come into force immediately anyways .. there should be a 6 months minimum period at least.
Friend is the 6 months including the summer break or excluding the summer break mate

Shall wait for your reply mate

Thanks,,,,

thepolestar

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys, don't fool ourselves.

Tell me honestly, Have you ever seen the last three steps of this bill movement? It is being controlled by the majority. They are pushing it to their requirement or desire. How can a bill like C-24 just got two meetings for clause by clause consideration. It is because they are not even listening to any opposition motions. Every motion put by opposition was rejected by voting.

So basically this is a free fall for this bill and for that matter any other bill. Also, let's face this there wasn't that much opposition by other parties as they opposed bill C-31 Election Act. Have you checked the no. of meetings and pre-study meetings held for the bill , its a long list.

This is my guess but by tomorrow or day after tomorrow, we will see that there will be time motion for discussion for the second reading of this bill and also same for the committee for clause by clause consideration. Hence the rest of the steps will be time bound by the government in the senate hence there will be no chance for the opposition for any changes to it. Even if they bring the motions they will be rejected by voting.

I am now hinging my hopes only on the effective date of residency clauses. Only God knows when they will come into play or when will we be clear about them. ??? ???

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
thepolestar said:
Guys, don't fool ourselves.

Tell me honestly, Have you ever seen the last three steps of this bill movement? It is being controlled by the majority. They are pushing it to their requirement or desire. How can a bill like C-24 just got two meetings for clause by clause consideration. It is because they are not even listening to any opposition motions. Every motion put by opposition was rejected by voting.

So basically this is a free fall for this bill and for that matter any other bill. Also, let's face this there wasn't that much opposition by other parties as they opposed bill C-31 Election Act. Have you checked the no. of meetings and pre-study meetings held for the bill , its a long list.

This is my guess but by tomorrow or day after tomorrow, we will see that there will be time motion for discussion for the second reading of this bill and also same for the committee for clause by clause consideration. Hence the rest of the steps will be time bound by the government in the senate hence there will be no chance for the opposition for any changes to it. Even if they bring the motions they will be rejected by voting.

I am now hinging my hopes only on the effective date of residency clauses. Only God knows when they will come into play or when will we be clear about them. ??? ???
I think things will be clear by the end of this week!! it will be a real joke if that bill passed in that short time! I think a Bill like that needs proper discussion and review in the Parliament! Trust me even if that happend .. it wont come into force immediately.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
turboracer said:
Friend is the 6 months including the summer break or excluding the summer break mate

Shall wait for your reply mate

Thanks,,,,
it is not a must 6 months.. this is just an example .. Previous acts took 6 months-1 year to come into force.

6 Months - 1 year from Royal Assent.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.