+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BETTER TO MARRY A CANADIAN OR STAY SINGLE, TO GET PERM STATUS??

enzodino

Mar 28, 2008
My Fiancee is Canadian and I have lived and worked in Toronto for over a year on an employer sponsored work permit. I want to apply for Perm residency and have had mixed messages on whether it is better to marry my fiancee and apply as a spouse for perm rez, or to hold off on the marriage and apply through buffalo as a single guy through the points system ( I more than fulfil the points system). Any ideas which is best? apparently if i apply as a single guy then get married during the process, I will have to change all of my status etc...

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

enzodino said:
My Fiancee is Canadian and I have lived and worked in Toronto for over a year on an employer sponsored work permit. I want to apply for Perm residency and have had mixed messages on whether it is better to marry my fiancee and apply as a spouse for perm rez, or to hold off on the marriage and apply through buffalo as a single guy through the points system ( I more than fulfil the points system). Any ideas which is best? apparently if i apply as a single guy then get married during the process, I will have to change all of my status etc...
1. If you marry and the sponsorship is approved, the processing will take around 6-9 months (in-Canada) or out of Canada through Buffalo, 3-9 months (plus 32 days in Mississauga.)
2. If you apply for skilled worker through Buffalo, you are looking at 16-25 months minimum
But it is your choice.

PMM

enzodino

Mar 28, 2008
Many thanks, Why would the marriage sponsorship not be approved? ( We have been common law for nearly 2 years)

Mar 15, 2008
I get a feeling you are trying to weigh the pros and cons of marrying
to see whether it is worth applying pressure and if so, how much and of what kind, on your g/f to marry you!
No offense meant though :)

imjoe

Star Member
Nov 28, 2007
If you want the PR FAST... Get married, but... it sounds as if you want to avoid it and the last thing people should do is get married because of things like this.

It's up to you in cany case.

hakan

Jul 10, 2008
enzodino said: