Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
Hi Everyone,

I got passport request and submitted and am now awaiting on getting it back.

In the meanwhile, I have been thinking about clothing issues for Winter.

My hubby is fixated on Eaton Centre but I find the prices are high. Over 200 CAD for a winter jacket.

So any advices on malls in the toronto area, down town shops with good quality winter jackets/boots etc?

Or are Eaton Centre's prices fair given that its brandname and good quality?

How much money will i spend on winter clothes?

ANDDDDDDDDD around what time would they have deals on winter clothes? Feb/March?

OH and i find the wind goes through the jeans and into my bones. Is there a particular type of jeans i should get? OR like tights? I find the wind goes through that too, so what brand to buy...are there wind breaker jeans/tights?

i shiver at the thought of winter having experiences a few days last year.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

HoneyBird said:
Hi Everyone,

My hubby is fixated on Eaton Centre but I find the prices are high. Over 200 CAD for a winter jacket.

So any advices on malls in the toronto area, down town shops with good quality winter jackets/boots etc?

ANDDDDDDDDD around what time would they have deals on winter clothes? Feb/March?

OH and i find the wind goes through the jeans and into my bones. Is there a particular type of jeans i should get? OR like tights? I find the wind goes through that too, so what brand to buy...are there wind breaker jeans/tights?

Marks Work Wearhouse. You don't wear jeans in really cold weather, unless you have "long johns" under them. Remember they are only cotton, so wool it is.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HoneyBird said:
The sky is the limit - as an example, merino wool undergarments IRO $100 each.
"buy the warmest you can afford", being cold is not funny.
Don't wear jeans in the winter, worst choice ever - they are not warm and no good at all when wet.

HoneyBird said:
There are always offers on somewhere. You could try Winners http://www.winners.ca/en/locator.asp

confusednscared

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2009 CPC-M
Doc's Request.
NONE
Med's Request
2009, 2010
Interview........
14-09-2010
Passport Req..
02-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-08-2011
LANDED..........
14-09-2011
HoneyBird said:
Hi Everyone,

Go to outlet malls/stores in the outskirts of the city like Dixie Outlet Mall or those shops on Orfus Road, just beside Yorkdale Mall. There are a few good places you can get good stuff from. If you wish, you can check out North Face clothing online. They are really good with winter gear especially jackets. You may spend a few hundred bucks on a good winter jacket but it'll last you for a few good years from this company, unless you are very lady like and love to keep up with trendy fashion.

Eaton Centre is always packed and busy so if you are really looking for proper clothing and need time to decide on your type of clothing you should go to a much smaller, less congested mall in Toronto. Keep in mind that there are stores that can fit right in with your budget. Most winter sales start at the end of the season, coming on to Spring. Sometimes you are lucky to find a store or two that will bring the deals on early in the season.

Reitmans is very lady like and have trendy fashion which is not that pricey. If you are into the designer/brand name stuff then you will be certainly paying the price.

Jeans are not so good like PMM said but you can always slide them over a pair of long johns which make you feel somewhat warm. There are also those leggings that ladies use, kinda like those thick socks that pull up to the knees. Also, there are those big boots/shoes you can wear to keep your feet warm.

I honestly wouldn't stress much on the clothing thing. Just have a few hundred bucks and you can get all that you need.

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
PMM said:
Hi

Marks Work Wearhouse. You don't wear jeans in really cold weather, unless you have "long johns" under them. Remember they are only cotton, so wool it is.
Toronto is not that cold.. and PMM sorry for my ignorance.. I always wear Jeans in really cold weather as well. It depends on person to person i guess. And no i dont have any long Jones. And i have seen both eastern and western winters in Canada

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I personally wear jeans most of the time in winter. For me, it is having proper boots that makes a big difference in how I experience winter. If the boots go up high (mine go to just below my knees) and are completely waterproof and breathable, you can put your pants in them or roll them up to avoid getting your jeans/pants wet, even when you are standing in high snow while shoveling or splashing through a wet slushy mess at an intersection. I have found that if my feet stay dry and warm, and if I can walk confidently on ice without fear of falling, my mood and comfort during cold weather is infinitely better. YaxTrax for your shoes/boots might be something to consider (about $25 or so) if you live where you are walking on ice a lot and want more traction. My other favorite winter items are a warm hat and mittens. I personally prefer things that have fleece lining. I have mittens from MEC that are made for skiers, so they are great and very warm. I do have thermal undergarments, but have only used them once or twice because I dislike having to take it all off when I get to where I am going, because I feel too hot inside with it on. But, of course, some people wear it regularly and like this approach. Those rare times when I need to be outside during extreme cold weather conditions, I prefer to just put on my old ski bibs over my clothes until I get to where I am going. When it is extremely cold, I really don't care how I look, and I think most people feel that way.

And as far as coats go, I like my North Face coat. It was expensive (to me) even though I bought it on a winter clearance sale in 2008. But it is still going strong and I anticipate at least several more years wear out of it. I would be surprised if I needed to get a new coat in the next five years actually. I previously had a Helly Hansen coat that I wore for seven years. I still have it and it is still wearable, but I just got tired of it. If I were going to buy another coat though, I would seriously consider getting one that comes down closer to my knees. Mine is shorter, and I sometimes wish more of my legs were covered on those really cold days, when, you know, I am wearing my jeans without thermal underwear. Haha.

Overall, I would say that I have never regretted spending the money for good quality winter gear because every purchase I have made has lasted for years and it makes winter much more enjoyable for me. I hope you are able to find some quality items on sale over these next few weeks. Good luck!

oceans_end

Star Member
Dec 16, 2009
Zellers Wal-mart? Vaughan outlet?

we got my wife's snowboarding pants at Zellers for 19.99 while its 100++ at Sports places.

KarenCee

Star Member
Dec 30, 2010
Georgia, USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is another idea if you want the long john warmth but a sleeker feel: http://www.sears.ca/catalog/cuddl-duds/11277-100001498 - these are reported to be very warm underneath clothes. I have a couple of friends who use these and say they are comfy and keep them warm. If you're a cold-natured person (like me) this might be an idea. I will be moving to NS so I am probably going to buy a couple pair of these to bring with me. I have a goose down jacket that is perfect for me, but for someone else it may be too much warmth. I too love fleece (someone else mentioned that) and I saw somewhere where you can buy fleece sheets! Yep... a pair of mittens, a good tuque, and good socks are in order for me.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
I may look like I'm a teenager but I've NEVER been warmer in my uggs (NOT the slouchy ones,lol) and my TNA parka... They aren't cheap but they are warm and have lasted me... I agree pay a little more and get something that won't fall apart by the end of the season (although if you are needing to walk thru a lot of slush, uggs aren't the best choice... I don't drive and do a lot of city walking and I've not ruined mine yet tho :) ) having warm toes in the winter is the BEST... Freezing toes will have you packing to head back home!!!

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
I second the T&A parka. Just got one and it's very warm. It's a better price than a Canada Goose.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
kelKel said:
I second the T&A parka. Just got one and it's very warm. It's a better price than a Canada Goose.

I love mine so much I actually have two... Long... One brown and one white... Had the brown one for 4 years... Wearing the white one now :) loves it!

My uggs are the under the knee knightsbriges and my coat goes down just above my knees, only my knees know it's winter :)

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
Don`t stress to much on clothing as others said. You can check out all the adviced stores and lines. I personally prefer North Face and Columbia, but that`s just me. I live in Fort McMurray- now here it is cold, the first winter I spent here was cruel with -30-40s all the way long and I wanted to die. Then eventually I did not feel that bad, if you wear good wintergear you will survive for sure. ;) I wear jeans only depending on how cold it is or thermal underwear with them. The worst is when it is windy. If you will live in Toronto, you don`t need to prepare very seriously, it is not too cold. Of course it is relative- for someone who is from a warm country with no winter it is cold! ;D Good luck and congratulations!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
thank you so much for all the replies! :)
i am by nature a very cold person.
in fact during the day i cover up with a blanket (and i have no a/c , just a fan)
at night, i dont use the fan.
and if i am going out at night, i have to walk with sweaters.

so i have a suitcase of sweaters to bring up. and just that jacket to get to feel warm and boots.

but its the jeans that is the most problematic for me with the wind going through and the face...my face skin hurts. ( i used vaseline for a bit but is there a better option?0

i wil take all your advise and do the research :) Thank you!