+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best Deals for Winter Clothes ADVICE on WINTER CLOTHing etc

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maybe a long coat...knee length or more to minimize the amount of leg that is exposed to the wind/cold?

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
I'm near Ottawa now but I lived most of my life in Toronto area (about 45 years there). I have never worn long underwear in my life. I have often worn jeans or some other similar long pants all winter and never had any big problem with that. Maybe that's just me. I'm more likely to have trouble with cold toes and and maybe fingers. I think I'm tolerant that I sometimes have cold legs. It doesn't bother me too much, but I'm not you.

As for when things are on sale, I'd say to start shopping now. I've been shopping for winter boots for my partner the last two days. He found some that almost fit, but 11 was too small and 13 was too big. He wants 12. We asked if they are getting any more in. They aren't. They are clearing the winter stuff out at half price right now at Zellers and won't be getting any more. The most snow we've had so far in Ottawa is about 6 cm and I feel like the real winter season is still on its way, but as far as the stores are concerned, winter is essentially over.

Prices are all over the place. Some stores have items at 50% off and even 70% off, but others are at regular price with the exception of a few items that are reduced by $5-10 (that would be a lot of items at Walmart, who theoretically doesn't have "sales").

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
my aunt told me i should get a coudroy (i think the spelling is wrong) jeans. So i am gonna look into getting one of those and the long johns and a high boots. And something for my head as I have a boy cut hair style with my ears and neck exposed. my hubby told me that i should not of cut my hair...now i understand why! btw i still feel the chill in my hand gloves when i was there last february. so i have to get something thicker.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
i see some styles i wish i was younger to wear..lol..boot and head wise.
hmmmmmmm....well i will get to dress up my future children in them. so that a consolation.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
As for hands... I prefer mittens personally, they let you put your hands in balls and keep them warmer than most gloves will (save hardcore ski gloves and the like)... I bought a pair of those "team Canada" mittens from zellers and they're very warm (and not to mention cute and fun, especially for someone new to the country :) )... And at $10 they won't break the bank either :)

I wear a lot of cord pants... They are fairly warm and generally more accepted than jeans for an office environment... Like jeans, they have thicker and thinner ones, going with the thicker of either for winter helps... For cords, I have a Jacob outlet right near to me (shoppers world Brampton) and get cords there for $8-10 a pair... So reasonable I have 10 pairs in all sorts of cuts/styles/colours (different shades of brown and such, not blue and green lol)

Congrats on the ppt call by the way, when will you reach?

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
i am waiting to get my passport back. its been exactly one week since i sent it in. they said 2-4 weeks. As soon as I get it, i take 2 weeks here to chill and then fly awayyyyyyyyyy :)

KarenCee

Star Member
Dec 30, 2010
Georgia, USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chelley said:
As for hands... I prefer mittens personally, they let you put your hands in balls and keep them warmer than most gloves will (save hardcore ski gloves and the like)... I bought a pair of those "team Canada" mittens from zellers and they're very warm (and not to mention cute and fun, especially for someone new to the country :) )... And at $10 they won't break the bank either :)
My MIL sent me a pair of those Team Canada mittens. LOVE THEM! Here in Georgia we just got blasted by about 7-8 inches of snow and ice. They have definitely come in handy. :D

Jul 12, 2010
Try a second hand store like Value Village or Talize. You can get name brand (Tommy, Gap, American Eagle, Columbia), lightly used clothings, jackets and boots for men, women and children for excellent prices. A friend of mine came from Cuba and he got a Columbia winter jacket for $19.99 and a pair of winter boots for $9.99. He also bought sweatershirts and sweaters that cost him between 5.99-7.99 each.
Check out these places before hitting the malls and speciality stores to see if you can find something that you like and fits you. It will save you a lot of money!

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
KarenCee said:
My MIL sent me a pair of those Team Canada mittens. LOVE THEM! Here in Georgia we just got blasted by about 7-8 inches of snow and ice. They have definitely come in handy. :D
:) yes they rock.... i have 2 pairs actually :)

i heard GA got dumped on... and the dirty south just don't know how to handle the white stuff, a few inches and ya'll are lost! :) i remember when i lived in lawrenceville and the south east had a huge ice storm about 8 years ago... what a disaster that was... we were on the (whatever highway heads to SC, i forget) and there was a convoy of over 80 Georgia/Atlanta hydro trucks heading that way (i'm assuming to help fix downed powerlines and stuff)...i'd never seen anything like it in my life...

hopefully you guys are making due tho... i remember how frustrating it was to was to be stuck in the house for like 3 days (coming from canada where most people wont even stay home from work for 7-8 inches lol)

Jurjen

Nov 1, 2010
Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (inland)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2010
Med's Done....
01-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
19-10-2011 @ Montreal
Tried the Mountain Equipment Co-op? Usually very good quality clothes, but smaller names or own brand (but also big names, but they come at an higher price). I usually find good deals there!

KarenCee

Star Member
Dec 30, 2010
Georgia, USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chelley said:
:) yes they rock.... i have 2 pairs actually :)

i heard GA got dumped on... and the dirty south just don't know how to handle the white stuff, a few inches and ya'll are lost! :) i remember when i lived in lawrenceville and the south east had a huge ice storm about 8 years ago... what a disaster that was... we were on the (whatever highway heads to SC, i forget) and there was a convoy of over 80 Georgia/Atlanta hydro trucks heading that way (i'm assuming to help fix downed powerlines and stuff)...i'd never seen anything like it in my life...

hopefully you guys are making due tho... i remember how frustrating it was to was to be stuck in the house for like 3 days (coming from canada where most people wont even stay home from work for 7-8 inches lol)
We are on day 3 of no school and we got the call about an hour ago that schools are closed the rest of the week. BLEH. All this snow re-freezes at night and you're so right...we are NOT equipped for this stuff. My husband however loves it...he knows how to drive in this stuff so he's not missed work at all. As much as I like being home, I am not looking forward to all these make up days.