+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

awaiting inland spousal sponsorship

lailanassouri

Apr 15, 2021
does anyone know if i am considered having implied status simply by sending in a spousal sponsorship application?

i sent my application in a long time ago and my eTA/visitor visa is going to expire in july. do i need to apply for temporary residency before it runs out if i haven't got my PR by then? i've heard conflicting stories about this - some people have said i don't need to do anything, and others say i need to apply for a temporary residency.

help me out.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
does anyone know if i am considered having implied status simply by sending in a spousal sponsorship application?

i sent my application in a long time ago and my eTA/visitor visa is going to expire in july. do i need to apply for temporary residency before it runs out if i haven't got my PR by then? i've heard conflicting stories about this - some people have said i don't need to do anything, and others say i need to apply for a temporary residency.

help me out.
No - the spousal sponsorship application does not give you implied status. What gives you implied status is sending an OWP (open work permit) application along with your spousal sponsorship application. Did you include an OWP with the sponsorship application?

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
If you're a first-time Open Work Permit applicant (i.e. NOT renewing an existing work permit) implied status isn't clear.

Immigration lawyers say you get implied status with a first-time OWP application.

CBSA says ABSOLUTELY not.

IRCC phone agents say:
1) I don't know.
2) No.
3) Yes.

The latest 'yes' I got from IRCC came in a phone call today. The agent emailed me a link while we were on the phone as evidence and the link went to a page that only addressed implied status when applying for a renewal of an existing OWP. I pointed this out to the agent and she seemed flummoxed, and admitted she's always thought it was true, but may not be.

I strongly suggest you apply for a Visitor Record to extend your stay in Canada.