N/A, Background check In-Process: 23-11-2016
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 12-01-2017; PPR Email: 23-01-2017; DM on MyCIC: 06-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR sent: 06-02-2017
LANDED..........
11-02-2017
danawhitaker said:
Digging back into the July thread specifically, I found the one person I recalled. The person mentioned that they had sent in photos with the initial application, so they weren't sure why they were being asked for them again. I swore I saw more than one person, so it may have been spread across multiple threads, maybe somewhere in the U.S. specific one for outland applicants. Either way, it was concerning enough to me to stick out in my mind. They were asked for photos on 11/16 and received the COPR in the mail on 11/28. They did not have to send in a passport. It's enough of a concern for me since I'm not reasonably close to the border that doing another set preemptively wasn't a huge problem.
Hmm. Maybe the photos were lost with the original application. Anyways good to know. Hope it was a one-time thing and not a new standard. Either way, while annoying, you can use a service like this if need be:

http://www.onlinepassportphoto.com/Canada_Immigration_Photos.htm

Also I'm reading that the US Post office can do Canadian Passport Photos or AAA. So some places to look around.

Joyce_tosf

Aug 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2016
Doc's Request.
09-12-2016 (Provided 17-12-2016)
AOR Received.
08-09-2016
File Transfer...
15-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront (PASSED)
Passport Req..
21-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2017
I know that my husband's background check just started today but I'm trying to be prepared.

Provided that his medical is graciously extended and he has to land in the near future, we're planning on him landing first then going back to the US to handle the rest of his affairs (presenting his resignation letter, pack up the majority of his belongings, etc.). Is this even possible???

If so, does anyone have any info/experiences on how long he should be staying to finish this all up. I know there's not really a set answer, but recommendations?

Also, since he would still be waiting on the PR card, can he travel with the COPR in the meantime? I remember reading something that it wasn't advisable to travel with the COPR and to wait for the PR card but I'm not sure.

I'm looking in the settlement thread but can't seem to find much info. Thanks in advance!

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
Joyce_tosf said:
I know that my husband's background check just started today but I'm trying to be prepared.

Provided that his medical is graciously extended and he has to land in the near future, we're planning on him landing first then going back to the US to handle the rest of his affairs (presenting his resignation letter, pack up the majority of his belongings, etc.). Is this even possible???

If so, does anyone have any info/experiences on how long he should be staying to finish this all up. I know there's not really a set answer, but recommendations?

Also, since he would still be waiting on the PR card, can he travel with the COPR in the meantime? I remember reading something that it wasn't advisable to travel with the COPR and to wait for the PR card but I'm not sure.

I'm looking in the settlement thread but can't seem to find much info. Thanks in advance!
From what I understand with regards to traveling with the COPR prior to receiving the PR card, you can do this as long as it's not by commercial carriers (like a plane or bus, etc.) If you're traveling by personal vehicle, doing a land crossing, you should be able to. We looked into this when we were considering doing something similar after I get approval. In the end, we decided we just want to do everything in one shot. I know in my case I was initially looking at a gap of about 2-4 weeks. My husband was going to come down, we were going to give notice on my apartment, and then go back and land and get my daughter in school. Then we were planning to come back with some of his family to go ahead and move all my things, without my daughter being underfoot. When we were considering this, I was under the impression that when I gave the 30 days' notice to my apartment complex that I actually had to continue to stay during that time or couldn't actually move all my stuff out and vacate the premises. I found out from the leasing agent that's not the case, and I can just give 30 days' notice and leave pretty much right away. I'm just paying rent for time I won't be living there at that point. Knowing we can leave right away, and with two 13 hour drives with my 11 year old daughter under my belt where she wasn't really annoying, we decided that just doing everything at once makes more sense.

I have read about people landing and then returning to their home country to finish school, or a work contract, etc. I don't think there's really any recommendation on a specific amount of time. It's about what will work best for you.

knowledge101

Aug 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2016
AOR Received.
11-08-2016
File Transfer...
22-08-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront, 04-08-2016
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
11-02-2017
Joyce_tosf said:

This is similar to what I will be doing. The only thing I have been advised is when "landing" he should tell the agent nothing about his intentions to leave. He should give them his permanent address and such (also he should make sure to fill out forms B4 and B4A and bring them with him when he lands to make sure he can import his stuff duty free when he comes back officially to move). From what I have read, some agents (although rare, but sometimes it does happen), some agents will not be willing to let you give them an address where you will not be living at right away. So he should not mention he plans to leave (he doesn't legally have to tell them anything about his intentions), just give them the address of a relative/friend/etc where the PR card can be delivered. Usually the card is mailed in 4 weeks and then can be forwarded to him.

I've read traveling with a COPR is ok if he needs to as long as he tells the border agent he hasn't received his PR card yet. But if he is planning more than 4 weeks chances are he will have it by then.

richardlin

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Aug 14, 2016
AOR Received.
Sep 9, 2016
File Transfer...
Sep 16, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sep 28, 2016 (Passed)
Interview........
No (Jan 11, 2017 Decision Made on ECAS)
Passport Req..
Jan 24, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 5, 2017
knowledge101 said:
If you're not visa exempt, you will get your PPR first. However it "shouldn't" take any longer than a US Citizen would in getting their COPR. From what I read in the past, Ottawa is pretty good at turnaround time for PPR and then COPR so it really shouldn't delay you more than 1-2 weeks! So in your case, once you've already mailed your passport, you should get it back with your COPR within a week or two of them receiving it.
I guess whatever kind of letter coming in the mail from CIC would be nice these days!

Joyce_tosf

Aug 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2016
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
08-09-2016
File Transfer...
15-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront (PASSED)
Passport Req..
21-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2017
danawhitaker said:
From what I understand with regards to traveling with the COPR prior to receiving the PR card, you can do this as long as it's not by commercial carriers (like a plane or bus, etc.) If you're traveling by personal vehicle, doing a land crossing, you should be able to. We looked into this when we were considering doing something similar after I get approval. In the end, we decided we just want to do everything in one shot. I know in my case I was initially looking at a gap of about 2-4 weeks. My husband was going to come down, we were going to give notice on my apartment, and then go back and land and get my daughter in school. Then we were planning to come back with some of his family to go ahead and move all my things, without my daughter being underfoot. When we were considering this, I was under the impression that when I gave the 30 days' notice to my apartment complex that I actually had to continue to stay during that time or couldn't actually move all my stuff out and vacate the premises. I found out from the leasing agent that's not the case, and I can just give 30 days' notice and leave pretty much right away. I'm just paying rent for time I won't be living there at that point. Knowing we can leave right away, and with two 13 hour drives with my 11 year old daughter under my belt where she wasn't really annoying, we decided that just doing everything at once makes more sense.

I have read about people landing and then returning to their home country to finish school, or a work contract, etc. I don't think there's really any recommendation on a specific amount of time. It's about what will work best for you.
Unfortunately he doesn't live near a border, so he would have to fly to get here. I figured that doing it all at once would be the best scenario but I'm just worried that the medical won't be extended for too long. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Thank you for your input, though!

knowledge101 said:
This is similar to what I will be doing. The only thing I have been advised is when "landing" he should tell the agent nothing about his intentions to leave. He should give them his permanent address and such (also he should make sure to fill out forms B4 and B4A and bring them with him when he lands to make sure he can import his stuff duty free when he comes back officially to move). From what I have read, some agents (although rare, but sometimes it does happen), some agents will not be willing to let you give them an address where you will not be living at right away. So he should not mention he plans to leave (he doesn't legally have to tell them anything about his intentions), just give them the address of a relative/friend/etc where the PR card can be delivered. Usually the card is mailed in 4 weeks and then can be forwarded to him.

I've read traveling with a COPR is ok if he needs to as long as he tells the border agent he hasn't received his PR card yet. But if he is planning more than 4 weeks chances are he will have it by then.
Thanks! I remember reading that too. My house is where he will be living when he moves so sending it to my address isn't a problem.

knowledge101

Aug 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2016
AOR Received.
11-08-2016
File Transfer...
22-08-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront, 04-08-2016
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
11-02-2017
Joyce_tosf said:
Unfortunately he doesn't live near a border, so he would have to fly to get here. I figured that doing it all at once would be the best scenario but I'm just worried that the medical won't be extended for too long. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Thank you for your input, though!

Thanks! I remember reading that too. My house is where he will be living when he moves so sending it to my address isn't a problem.
He has a US Passport right? A US Passport + COPR is all he needs even by air. Technically only needs a US passport but he should present the COPR for proof of residency:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/reentering-canada-with-a-copr-and-a-visaexent-passport-flying-with-air-canada-t224492.0.html

Joyce_tosf

Aug 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2016
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
08-09-2016
File Transfer...
15-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront (PASSED)
Passport Req..
21-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2017
knowledge101 said:
He has a US Passport right? A US Passport + COPR is all he needs even by air. Technically only needs a US passport but he should present the COPR for proof of residency:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/reentering-canada-with-a-copr-and-a-visaexent-passport-flying-with-air-canada-t224492.0.html
There you go again with all the helpful information! Thank you x infinity!!!!!!

And yes, he does have a US passport! So that's good news!

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
knowledge101 said:

Thanks for that clarification. This is the information I was going by, but I can see how the method in that thread would work:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10

knowledge101

Aug 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2016
AOR Received.
11-08-2016
File Transfer...
22-08-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront, 04-08-2016
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
11-02-2017
danawhitaker said:
Thanks for that clarification. This is the information I was going by, but I can see how the method in that thread would work:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10
Yeah the exemption is really more of a technicality for visa-exempt citizens with a COPR. This is because they technically can just enter on their visa-exempt passport which is all they need to board the plane. Then they can present their COPR and US passport (or any visa-exempt passport) similar to how they would if they were returning by car.

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
knowledge101 said:
Hmm. Maybe the photos were lost with the original application. Anyways good to know. Hope it was a one-time thing and not a new standard. Either way, while annoying, you can use a service like this if need be:

http://www.onlinepassportphoto.com/Canada_Immigration_Photos.htm

Also I'm reading that the US Post office can do Canadian Passport Photos or AAA. So some places to look around.
While not a U.S. person, another visa-exempt applicant from Ottawa from September (U.K.) got DM a few days ago and just received an e-mail asking for two new photos.

knowledge101

Aug 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2016
AOR Received.
11-08-2016
File Transfer...
22-08-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront, 04-08-2016
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
11-02-2017
danawhitaker said:
While not a U.S. person, another visa-exempt applicant from Ottawa from September (U.K.) got DM a few days ago and just received an e-mail asking for two new photos.
I'm wondering if this is because of the new eTA requirements? Currently only US Citizens are exempt from an eTA. So I wonder if they are asking for photos to process the visa/eTA or whatever.

waynenorrisv2

Aug 31, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-09-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Done....
sometime in November.
Passport Req..
19-01-2017
knowledge101 said:
Congrats everyone! Really excited for everyone and for those without updates yet don't fret your time is almost here I can feel it!

Also for other US Citizens who just got DM in ECAS from Ottawa, I did some more sleuthing and it seems that Ottawa is pretty good about mailing out COPR right away after a DM if you are a US Citizen.

One post back in February:

generally, for visa exempt applicants from the us, ottawa does not send anything by email. the applicant will receive the COPR letter in regular mail and nothing else regarding the decision. generally it can take anywhere from 1-4 weeks, depending on where it's being mailed to from ottawa. it arrives in regular mail in a brown envelope. generally, for us citizens being processing in ottawa, DM means either the COPR was mailed that day or the day after.

This was not the only post on the matter I found (dozens of posts suggest the same). I have not seen any Ottawa Outland US Citizen posting that theirs took longer than this and almost always was mailed out immediately after DM. So my hope just got a bit brighter!
Hi! I just had a quick follow up question to this post. I read a head in the posts to see if I saw a question like mine, I didn't but if I missed one I'm sorry for posting the same question.

So our application is DM in Ottawa on the 13th, My wife lives in the USA (which is where her address is for the application) but is a citizen of the Philippines as stated in the application. Would this mean that Ottawa just mails out all their stuff to anyone living in the US or only to those that already have US citizenship/passports?

In this case would they send a PPR by mail? or do they only send COPR through the mail and PPRs are sent through email.

I apologize for coming of disjointed, we are just trying to figure out what to expect. Thank you for your time.

knowledge101

Aug 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2016
AOR Received.
11-08-2016
File Transfer...
22-08-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront, 04-08-2016
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
11-02-2017
waynenorrisv2 said:
Hi! I just had a quick follow up question to this post. I read a head in the posts to see if I saw a question like mine, I didn't but if I missed one I'm sorry for posting the same question.

So our application is DM in Ottawa on the 13th, My wife lives in the USA (which is where her address is for the application) but is a citizen of the Philippines as stated in the application. Would this mean that Ottawa just mails out all their stuff to anyone living in the US or only to those that already have US citizenship/passports?

In this case would they send a PPR by mail? or do they only send COPR through the mail and PPRs are sent through email.

I apologize for coming of disjointed, we are just trying to figure out what to expect. Thank you for your time.
Sorry that is a good question and I don't have an answer. My guess is the PPR would come via email based on what I've read but I'm not 100% sure of this (it might come via mail too). Maybe someone else can answer your question?

danawhitaker

Aug 4, 2016
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
File Transfer...
28-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
22-07-2016
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
05-03-2017
knowledge101 said:
I'm wondering if this is because of the new eTA requirements? Currently only US Citizens are exempt from an eTA. So I wonder if they are asking for photos to process the visa/eTA or whatever.
That's possible. A 9/29 applicant processed through Ottawa from the U.K. was asked for the same thing and posted shortly after the other person.