+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Attaching Proofs - Sponsor/Applicant Proof of… Everything?

AlanWales

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Wales
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-09
File Transfer...
04-08-09
Med's Done....
15-06-09
Interview........
Not required.
Passport Req..
12-11-09
VISA ISSUED...
09-12-09
LANDED..........
09-01-10
Re: Attaching Proofs - Sponsor/Applicant Proof of... Everything?

Well the majority of my wife and I's conversation was done via Wap over the last 7 years, so that was impossible to keep and log, all I did when I collated our evidence was give selections of emails going back over the 7 years, nowhere near everything. Added to that we had four holidays two in the UK, two in Canada, and sentimental fool that I am, I kept itineraries, hotel receipts tickets to places we visited, along with photo evidence etc. I thought I sent loads, but compared to some I have read on here, I sent very little, and our application sailed through.

Some of the emails I sent were quite mundane, but they showed a normal loving relationship.

Ssarah183

Star Member
Jun 5, 2009

I did a selection of emails from across our whole relationship. None of them discussed immigration but they did discuss our future together. I started to black out some of the content but in the end I left most of it in because I was tired lol I didn't want to go through and edit all that info so I bet some IO out there enjoyed reading about my gf and I :p

Dec 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2009
Interview........
22-09-2009

We had about 150 pictures mostly in two settings. One set was an impromptu party in the hotel where we were staying and the other was visits to family. CIC said that the pictures appeared to be staged for immigration because there weren't any tourist type pictures. That's really strange because the purpose of the visit was not to be a tourist but to meet her family. I'm not sure it matters how many pictures as long as there is a balance. I'm visiting again in January and, believe me, I will "stage" some tourist pictures for the appeal.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009

jeopardyjunkie said:
We had about 150 pictures mostly in two settings. One set was an impromptu party in the hotel where we were staying and the other was visits to family. CIC said that the pictures appeared to be staged for immigration because there weren't any tourist type pictures. That's really strange because the purpose of the visit was not to be a tourist but to meet her family. I'm not sure it matters how many pictures as long as there is a balance. I'm visiting again in January and, believe me, I will "stage" some tourist pictures for the appeal.
Believe me, if you had only tourist type photos and none with friends and family, the visa officer would be suspicious about that. They will question everything, and the opposite is not what they want either.
For photos, you need all kinds - tourist photos, photos with family, photos with friends, formal photos from the wedding or whatever, impromptu snaps from a cell phone or the like; and not just from two or three occasions - ideally from as many different places, events and times as possible. The more variety, the harder it is to stage.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011

Littlest Hobo:

A personal question, if you'll permit it. Why not go to Switzerland to be with hubby? Why bring him to Canada?

Regarding photos to attach to the application, if their purpose is to convince the Visa Officer that the relationship is legitimate, then one or two photos of each major event would suffice, no? You don't need hundreds of ohotos to do this, unless your relationship was extremely complex.

For example, in our case, I made four trips to China to meet and later marry my partner. In each trip we did something significantly different: confirmed our interest in each other; travelled together; visited Beijing; met the parents in my wife's home town; got married; etc.

So, I organized the photos (and narrative of our relationship)into the 4 trips. I attached maybe 20 photos max.

I did not feel the need to delve much into personal feelings, either, since the fact that we married and spent so much time together says we love each other more convincingly than declarations.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09

toby,

Clearly I'm not the TLH, but I'll answer from our perspective. I think a lot on the requirements are based in what is socially normal under the circumstances. Im my case, why am I not moving to the States? I have family here - my parents are aging and I've noticed them having difficulty. I own a home here, and I have a career. It's not that I can't move there, it's not that I won't move there, it's that we think it more reasonable for him to relocate here.

My partner has no living family, he gave up his home two years ago to move here when we had little doubt this would succeed on the first try and quickly at that. Career-wise he is as abled here as there, but I am less-abled in American due to different professional requirements.

Little is as straight forward or as simple as it seems.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Not to mention that sometimes personal preference plays a huge role.

My wife is British; I am Swedish. As we are both EU citizens we could live, work and study freely in either Britain or Sweden (or any other EU country, for that matter), but we both prefer to make our life in Canada, so she sponsored me to come here (she immigrated to Canada long before she met me).

We didn't have a single reason for wanting to live specifically in Canada other than that we prefer it, but that is the best possible reason I can think of. :)

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011

My husband and I don't have a choice! If I am denied residency in Canada, our options are very slim elsewhere. We are young and have no schooling to qualify for another country's job specifications. That being said, I'm calm and confident... but always little terrified considering we'd be completely out of luck.

Timmyify

Dec 22, 2009

Hello,

What I actually heard is that they only need the dates, sender, and recipients names/email addresses on the email proofs. They do not read the content of your emails as that would be invading into your privacy. So whatever you said in the body of your email does not matter as no one reads it.

I simply used a yellow and pink highlighter to highlight the dates, sender and recipient's emails.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

They do read the content of the emails from what I've heard. Which makes sense, because otherwise you could be emailing each other about stock prices or how to scam immigration for all they'd know. :)

Timmyify said:
Hello,

What I actually heard is that they only need the dates, sender, and recipients names/email addresses on the email proofs. They do not read the content of your emails as that would be invading into your privacy. So whatever you said in the body of your email does not matter as no one reads it.

I simply used a yellow and pink highlighter to highlight the dates, sender and recipient's emails.

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011

I agree with Karlshammar. We have absolutely no e-mails and few no phone calls (and to his BROTHER'S phone, at that) BUT we send each other on average 10 texts per day, and I have all of them on file (phone bill statements) and also every single text printed out with its content. We don't have much communication, but what we do have, I intend to give them all of it! I hope that works out. I'll keep you posted. ;-) My computerless, phoneless husband. :-/

Timmyify

Dec 22, 2009

Hello Guys,

I have a few concerns after going through comments on various threads. I posted our application today. I live in Edmonton Canada and my husband whom am sponsoring lives in Nigeria, Africa.

Here are my concerns;
No change of name(We did not do change of name after our wedding in October 2009).
No names on photographs(We did not also write names on the pictures we included to support our proof of relationship/marriage)
Also, my husband uses affidavit because he has no birth certificate.

Will those pose any problem to us?

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011

Timmyify:

1) We too got married in October 2009. It does not matter if you have changed your name or not, as it is not standard (it is not uncommon to keep one's last name!) All that matters is that the name you give on the forms matches your Passport.

2) Name/D.O.B./date photo was taken on the required photos varies per country. Check your guide. I believe most people put it on just one photo, as it says in the Immigrant's Guide. Depending on that and the IO reviewing your application, there may be a chance your application will be returned to you. If it is, there will be a letter stating the reason why, and follow those instructions.

3) Unfortunately I have no experience with this.

Good luck to you!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009

Timmyify said:
Also, my husband uses affidavit because he has no birth certificate.

Will those pose any problem to us?
My husband also has no birth certificate and is from Nigeria. We sent in an affidavit from his senior brother stating his birth date, and also a copy of his baptismal certificate. The visa office did not question these documents, nor did they insist on a birth certificate, so on that front I think you're OK.