+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Are visa services being offered to Canadian citizens who are already in India?

OCIApplicant

Jan 7, 2023
Finally..
Yesterday I had submitted required documents. I submitted a letter stating that I don't have a ration card in my name but my name was mentioned in my parents ration card which was issued a long time ago. They asked me to get the name deleted and submit a proof, which I submitted today. Soon after, I got a payment request for fees of Rs. 8640. My visa was granted and I received a soft-copy of it in less than 2 hours of payment.
Hi @nivaan5 thanks for this thread. It is very informative.
With various lines of conversation going there I am a bit confused. Can you please confirm
To summarize: You traveled to India on Indian passport (within 30 days) of acquiring Canadian citizenship. On arrival here you were required to surrender Indian passport and apply for entry visa (x1 type or evisa?). (As you wanted to stay in india else exit permit was enough?) Were you required to register at FRRO? How long does it take to register with FRRO?
My understanding is entry visa (x1) is the sticker visa that is pasted on the page of the passport. and visa is what you get in email. Am I correct or wrong? how did you get it pasted on the passport page?
How long did it take for you to receive your entry visa?
Do you know if to return to Canada will one still need exit permit?

Last edited:

SansiAg

Jun 30, 2024
Finally..
Yesterday I had submitted required documents. I submitted a letter stating that I don't have a ration card in my name but my name was mentioned in my parents ration card which was issued a long time ago. They asked me to get the name deleted and submit a proof, which I submitted today. Soon after, I got a payment request for fees of Rs. 8640. My visa was granted and I received a soft-copy of it in less than 2 hours of payment.
With various lines of conversation going there I am a bit confused. Can you please confirm
To summarize: You traveled to India on Indian passport of acquiring Canadian citizenship. On arrival here you were required to surrender Indian passport and apply for entry visa (Q1: x1 type or evisa?). (As you wanted to stay in india else exit permit was enough?)
Q2: Were you required to register at FRRO? How long does it take to register with FRRO?
Q3: My understanding is entry visa is the sticker visa that is pasted on the page of the passport. and e-visa is what you get in email. Am I correct or wrong? how did you get it pasted on the passport page?
Q4: When creating file for new X1 visa on FRRO website it is asking for current visa (it says it is optional for refugee or new born baby).. what did you put for that?
Q5: How long did it take for you to receive your entry visa?
Q6: Do you know if to return to Canada will one still need exit permit?

Last edited:

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Also I found a document on https://www.mha.gov.in/PDF_Other/AnnexI_01022018.pdf.
Point 14says a person on Indian origin can get their Evisa converted to X1 visa by FRRO. does anybody have this experience
No one has shared that experience in the forum. If you in Canada better to apply for entry visa and go to India for easy process to apply for OCI later. Please share in the forum if you are successful.

SansiAg

Jun 30, 2024
Hello all
An update to the entry visa process. I submitted the document with details of my Voter id, Aadhar and Driver's License. Later I was asked to surrender the voter id and submit an acknowledgement of the same and they also asked to submit details of ration card if I have one. I was able to surrender the voter id (delete name from electoral roll) online and upload the acknowledgement. I don't have a ration card, so submitted a letter stating the same.

Also, Finally I was able to reach an agent at FRRO today. They said for both entry visa and exit permit, once all the required documents are provided it would take about 1-2 days. If they require additional documents they will send a request on the portal and that will delay processing.

[edit: I deleted my name from the electoral roll online on the Election Commission of India website]
Does entry visa (x1) and foreigner registration application also involve police verification or enquiy?

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
Does entry visa (x1) and foreigner registration application also involve police verification or enquiy?
To summarize: You traveled to India on Indian passport of acquiring Canadian citizenship. On arrival here you were required to surrender Indian passport and apply for entry visa (Q1: x1 type or evisa?). (As you wanted to stay in india else exit permit was enough?)
Q2: Were you required to register at FRRO? How long does it take to register with FRRO?
Q3: My understanding is entry visa is the sticker visa that is pasted on the page of the passport. and e-visa is what you get in email. Am I correct or wrong? how did you get it pasted on the passport page?
Q4: When creating file for new X1 visa on FRRO website it is asking for current visa (it says it is optional for refugee or new born baby).. what did you put for that?
Q5: How long did it take for you to receive your entry visa?
Q6: Do you know if to return to Canada will one still need exit permit?
Hello
1) Yes I traveled on Indian passport and surrendered my Indian passport in India after arrival. I applied for entry visa since e-visa was suspended for Canadians then and also because I intended to stay for longer duration. [I'm not very sure of the exit permit without a visa]
2) The registration is online and is done when as soon as they receive it. I don't remember getting any acknowledgement for it.
3) I received the entry visa in my e-mail as a soft copy. It's not a sticker on the passport.
About Q4, I can't remember for sure, but it was not a mandatory field. I did call and check with them that I can skip that info and submit a letter of explanation which I submitted in miscellaneous documents.
5) If the documents are ready it shouldn't take much time. For me it took about 12 days. Also there were government holidays during that time. And it took me some days to get all the documents ready (Ex: Voter Id surrender acknowledgment, getting my name removed from Ration card etc)
6) When I checked with FRRO, they said one does not need exit permit if their visa is valid.

There was no police verification for Entry visa and FRRO registration
Also, you should apply for visa within 15 days of your arrival. It's ok if the processing takes longer but your application should be submitted within 15 days of your arrival. If not you may incur a penalty.

Last edited:

SansiAg

Jun 30, 2024
Hello
1) Yes I traveled on Indian passport and surrendered my Indian passport in India after arrival. I applied for entry visa since e-visa was suspended for Canadians then and also because I intended to stay for longer duration. [I'm not very sure of the exit permit without a visa]
2) The registration is online and is done when as soon as they receive it. I don't remember getting any acknowledgement for it.
3) I received the entry visa in my e-mail as a soft copy. It's not a sticker on the passport.
About Q4, I can't remember for sure, but it was not a mandatory field. I did call and check with them that I can skip that info and submit a letter of explanation which I submitted in miscellaneous documents.
5) If the documents are ready it shouldn't take much time. For me it took about 12 days. Also there were government holidays during that time. And it took me some days to get all the documents ready (Ex: Voter Id surrender acknowledgment, getting my name removed from Ration card etc)
6) When I checked with FRRO, they said one does not need exit permit if their visa is valid.

There was no police verification for Entry visa and FRRO registration
Also, you should apply for visa within 15 days of your arrival. It's ok if the processing takes longer but your application should be submitted within 15 days of your arrival. If not you may incur a penalty.
Thanks a lot @nivaan5 for taking time and responding to my querries