+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for citizenship separately vs. as a family

ahm756

Mar 24, 2020
Toronto
Hi!

Both me and my wife have PR and I will become eligible to apply for citizenship by December 2023 whereas my wife has to wait for the year after it.

I have two questions:

1. Can I apply for citizenship by myself as soon as I’m eligible or I have to wait for my wife too and apply together?

2. What are the benefits of apply together as a family vs. applying separately?

Thanks!

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi!

Both me and my wife have PR and I will become eligible to apply for citizenship by December 2023 whereas my wife has to wait for the year after it.

I have two questions:

1. Can I apply for citizenship by myself as soon as I’m eligible or I have to wait for my wife too and apply together?

Thanks!
1. Yes you can apply as soon as you are eligible. Need not wait for your wife.
2. Advantage of applying together is your application is processed simultaneously and your citizenship ceremonies happen together.

As there is a wait of 1 yr in your case, you better apply separately as you may have your citizenship by the time your wife is eligible.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Hi!

I have two questions:

Thanks!
doesn't matter, my husband and i applied separately even though we were eligible at the same time because we wanted to do it online. no added value or no removed value