Waslith

Mar 2, 2013
Mauritius
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats! That`s a pretty satisfying feeling since you basically put your life on hold from the day you sent your application. I actually recently got my PR too, its been like 2 weeks. So when are you planning to fly to Canada?

Acecube

Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 2014
Passport Req..
IP March 2015, PPR Sep 2015
Waslith said:
Congrats! That`s a pretty satisfying feeling since you basically put your life on hold from the day you sent your application. I actually recently got my PR too, its been like 2 weeks. So when are you planning to fly to Canada?
Thanks and it was indeed a big relief. I became addicted to this forum. The moment I decided to take a distance as the wait was so frustrating and I had to get my head in other things. PPR arrived.

So you are a neo immigrant. I plan to be there late November.

My worry is to find a job. Do we get a job quickly or we have to wait a lot. Any ideas will be highly appreciated.

In which field are you guys at??

Waslith

Mar 2, 2013
Mauritius
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well I`m not new per se. I`ve been here for a while now but recently got my PR. It`s easy to get a job but most probably it`s going to take years to have a career. It also depends on what you want to do.

Acecube

Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 2014
Passport Req..
Waslith said:
Well I`m not new per se. I`ve been here for a while now but recently got my PR. It`s easy to get a job but most probably it`s going to take years to have a career. It also depends on what you want to do.
I'm an ACCA member and CFA Level 3 candidate. In which field you are??

Zaara0804

Star Member
May 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-15
AOR Received.
29-06-15
File Transfer...
31 07-15, AOR2 18-08-15
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-04-15
Passport Req..
30-09-15. Received passport with visa 19-11-15
Acecube said:
Hello! We received the PPR today!! Yay, so happy :)

Zaara0804

Star Member
May 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-15
AOR Received.
29-06-15
File Transfer...
31 07-15, AOR2 18-08-15
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-04-15
Passport Req..
Acecube said:
Hello Acecube,

I am also an ACCA member. I got my PR in 2013 and landed in 2014. I stayed for 3 weeks and then came back to Mtius.

In 2015, I moved to Canada for good. I am in Montreal. And here, ACCA is not recognised. Here they have the CPA (previously CGA). I contacted them and asked if there is any conversion exam, etc, They said that no, they do not have any such agreement with ACCA (the previous CGA had one). So, if you want to work as a professional accountant, you will need to start over and do the CPA from scratch which will take you approx 1 year preparation and exams and you will also need to accumulate practical work hours in order to get the title. In all, its going to take you over 3 years.

I was lucky that I got hired by one of the Big Four audit firms in Canada so I do not have to do the CPA. But eventually, if i want to change employer, i will probably need to do it :(

Acecube

Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 2014
Passport Req..
Zaara0804 said:
Hello Acecube,

I am also an ACCA member. I got my PR in 2013 and landed in 2014. I stayed for 3 weeks and then came back to Mtius.

In 2015, I moved to Canada for good. I am in Montreal. And here, ACCA is not recognised. Here they have the CPA (previously CGA). I contacted them and asked if there is any conversion exam, etc, They said that no, they do not have any such agreement with ACCA (the previous CGA had one). So, if you want to work as a professional accountant, you will need to start over and do the CPA from scratch which will take you approx 1 year preparation and exams and you will also need to accumulate practical work hours in order to get the title. In all, its going to take you over 3 years.

I was lucky that I got hired by one of the Big Four audit firms in Canada so I do not have to do the CPA. But eventually, if i want to change employer, i will probably need to do it :(
There is a conversion agreement between these ACCA and CGA.

See the link http://www.cga-canada.org/en-ca/International/StrategicAlliances/MraAccaCga/Pages/ca_mra_acca_initial_application_process.aspx

Luckily I also took part in the CFA Program but it wont be easy to get a job in this field as I don't have any experience.

Zaara0804

Star Member
May 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-15
AOR Received.
29-06-15
File Transfer...
31 07-15, AOR2 18-08-15
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-04-15
Passport Req..
Acecube said:
There is a conversion agreement between these ACCA and CGA.

See the link http://www.cga-canada.org/en-ca/International/StrategicAlliances/MraAccaCga/Pages/ca_mra_acca_initial_application_process.aspx

Luckily I also took part in the CFA Program but it wont be easy to get a job in this field as I don't have any experience.
You are right about the agreement, but its not valid for Quebec :(

Acecube

Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 2014
Passport Req..
Zaara0804 said:
You are right about the agreement, but its not valid for Quebec :(
You can still convert you ACCA and CGA to be on the safe side. Why don't you move to other provinces where it's valid.

I was working with Deloitte back in Mauritius. Are their accounting standards similar to IFRS?

I will try to land a job in the finance and investment industry. Did you use job hunters or applied by yourself?

Also, is it easy to get a job there?

Waslith

Mar 2, 2013
Mauritius
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Acecube said:

I honestly have no idea how does it works for finance jobs but like Zaara said, if you get lucky you can start working in your field right away.

Congrats Zaara!

abddayo

Star Member
May 4, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2015
AOR Received.
AOR1: 28-07-2015 AOR2 08-09-2015
File Transfer...
30-08-2015
Med's Done....
12-06-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-01-2016
LANDED..........
19-02-2016
Zaara0804 said:
Wow Zaara, Congrats, that was record time quick. What about you MissSA. Any news from your side?

Acecube

Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 2014
Passport Req..
Zaara0804 said:
Hi Zaara. Congrats.

Very happy for you ;D ;D

Sorry I missed that yesterday. Hope the trend continues and the rest of us that are waiting hear the good news before the end of the year.

Zaara0804

Star Member
May 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-15
AOR Received.
29-06-15
File Transfer...
31 07-15, AOR2 18-08-15
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-04-15
Passport Req..
abddayo said:
Wow Zaara, Congrats, that was record time quick. What about you MissSA. Any news from your side?
Thanks Abddayo. Yes, I was not expecting to hear from them so soon too :) God is great!

Well, I think i will be more at peace once my hubby has the actual passport and visa in his hands...

Do not lose hope...there is always light at the end of the tunnel...

Zaara0804

Star Member
May 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-15
AOR Received.
29-06-15
File Transfer...
31 07-15, AOR2 18-08-15
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-04-15
Passport Req..
Acecube said:
Hi Zaara. Congrats.

Very happy for you ;D ;D

Sorry I missed that yesterday. Hope the trend continues and the rest of us that are waiting hear the good news before the end of the year.
Thanks Acecude..

yes, I am super happy too.. I just want to have the visa and passport in hand before starting to really celebrate...koz u never know :p

As for getting jobs in Canada, its easier in some provinces than others.. I knw in Quebec its a bit easier.. I was working for a Big Four audit firm in Mtius too so it was easy for me to get a job.. You could try to network with Deloitte in Canada...

But you should always be ready to start at a lower level..

Acecube

Nov 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 2014
File Transfer...
Nov 2014
Passport Req..
Zaara0804 said:
Thanks Acecude..

yes, I am super happy too.. I just want to have the visa and passport in hand before starting to really celebrate...koz u never know :p

As for getting jobs in Canada, its easier in some provinces than others.. I knw in Quebec its a bit easier.. I was working for a Big Four audit firm in Mtius too so it was easy for me to get a job.. You could try to network with Deloitte in Canada...

But you should always be ready to start at a lower level..
You will get the passport within two weeks. Send it through VFS Mauritius. Bring two photos, call them and they will send you the instructions. You have to sign a consent form, submit the photos along with the appendix a, a print version of the email and I have also submitted the receipt of the fees paid for the application. I have been there last Friday and got my passport back yesterday. So it's pretty quick. The fees will be rs2,314 for the passport transmission.

Yeah i figured that I must start over.