26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
morena34 said:
Has any of you whom got rejected by Ottawa based on not giving 5 points of adaptability ( Even though Sydney gave you 5 points) appealed at all? or even tried to argue with them?
One of the members, andy.fan, got rejected, even after getting awarded the 5 points by Sydney (after appealing). It really looks like that one should not apply until he's sure that he can go above 67 points without relying on these previous study points (unless if you have completed a program of two years study in Canada).

If you will apply on May (under FSWP), however, then these two points will most likely be awarded, even if you haven't completed the degree yet (since you just need to have completed the credits necessary for completion of two years study (not the program)).

morena34

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
asbereth said:
One of the members, andy.fan, got rejected, even after getting awarded the 5 points by Sydney (after appealing). It really looks like that one should not apply until he's sure that he can go above 67 points without relying on these previous study points (unless if you have completed a program of two years study in Canada).

If you will apply on May (under FSWP), however, then these two points will most likely be awarded, even if you haven't completed the degree yet (since you just need to have completed the credits necessary for completion of two years study (not the program)).

As you may know I applied last March (9th), and I'm worried about rejection because of the stupid inconsistency between these two case processing centers! legally, we should be able to do something against it! it's so unfair!

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
send altogether during filing
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
Out of curiosity, do you guys know of anyone who works on a more than 20-hour basis off campus jobs especially since these phd/grad students have already completed their courses and comprehensive and thus are technically no longer bogged down by exams etc?

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
websphereguy said:
Out of curiosity, do you guys know of anyone who works on a more than 20-hour basis off campus jobs especially since these phd/grad students have already completed their courses and comprehensive and thus are technically no longer bogged down by exams etc?
Isn't there a 20-hour time limit for off-campus work permit?

morena34 said:
As you may know I applied last March (9th), and I'm worried about rejection because of the stupid inconsistency between these two case processing centers! legally, we should be able to do something against it! it's so unfair!
I agree that it is unfair, but it's really hard to challenge decisions by visa officer. If I'm not mistaken, MapleDream did get these 5 points (in his rejection letter), but he was rejected anyway because of work experience mismatch (even with these 5 points, he would still be below 67).

Dani1982 and andy.fan have been the two applicants so far that have been rejected because Ottawa rejected to give them the 5 points. Another applicant, immc, appealed for these 5 points, got PER from Sydney, then he got document request a while ago from Ottawa (though even andy.fan received document request a month ago). It's hard to say, but the only time Ottawa seemed to award these five points was when these points did not end up mattering anyway...

I think the best way to alleviate paranoia and fear of rejection is probably to start preparing for new applications (not that I think there will be anything wrong with your application; I in fact hope it'll be fine), especially PCC in your case (since I heard it could take a long time for you guys). I'm currently doing that as well, though let us all hope that no one of us will need to reapply.

Brit_Immigrant

Star Member
May 16, 2012
websphereguy said:
I work 20 hours a week during terms and then full time during holidays (summer) and have done so for 18 months. It is pretty annoying having the limit but the law is the law I guess. I am just finishing writing my thesis and want to work full time during the editing/examination time but can't until I get residency. Pretty frustrating as I have a full time job sitting there waiting for me!

morena34

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
asbereth said:
Isn't there a 20-hour time limit for off-campus work permit?

I agree that it is unfair, but it's really hard to challenge decisions by visa officer. If I'm not mistaken, MapleDream did get these 5 points (in his rejection letter), but he was rejected anyway because of work experience mismatch (even with these 5 points, he would still be below 67).

Dani1982 and andy.fan have been the two applicants so far that have been rejected because Ottawa rejected to give them the 5 points. Another applicant, immc, appealed for these 5 points, got PER from Sydney, then he got document request a while ago from Ottawa (though even andy.fan received document request a month ago). It's hard to say, but the only time Ottawa seemed to award these five points was when these points did not end up mattering anyway...

I think the best way to alleviate paranoia and fear of rejection is probably to start preparing for new applications (not that I think there will be anything wrong with your application; I in fact hope it'll be fine), especially PCC in your case (since I heard it could take a long time for you guys). I'm currently doing that as well, though let us all hope that no one of us will need to reapply.

Thanks asbereth!

zhang69y

Nov 20, 2012
asbereth said:

Hi,

It is very puzzled about the 5points adaptability in PhD stream. How do you think the PhD can grantee that they can obtain these five point? After comprehensive (at the end of the third year study, finished all necessary credits), or have to wait until graduation?

Thanks

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
send altogether during filing
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
Brit_Immigrant said:
I work 20 hours a week during terms and then full time during holidays (summer) and have done so for 18 months. It is pretty annoying having the limit but the law is the law I guess. I am just finishing writing my thesis and want to work full time during the editing/examination time but can't until I get residency. Pretty frustrating as I have a full time job sitting there waiting for me!
That's the thing. The clause: "The work permit authorizes you to work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and full time during scheduled breaks (for example, winter and summer holidays, and spring break)." taken from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp
is difficult to ascertain for us in PhD or even masters simply because, should we (for some folks) have already finish their courses and also are no longer funded by the faculty/professor (in which you are then required to serve as RA/TA) - then wouldn't your normal semesters be like no other - similar to your summer as well? As a result you could safely assume that as your scheduled break and work full time using the off-campus work permit? I have heard of many over at my university that does so.

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
zhang69y said:
It is very puzzled about the 5points adaptability in PhD stream. How do you think the PhD can grantee that they can obtain these five point? After comprehensive (at the end of the third year study, finished all necessary credits), or have to wait until graduation?
Apparently, to be on the safe side you need to submit your application after you've satisfied all your degree requirements, which includes (1) completing coursework and possibly your comprehensive; (2) writing and defending your thesis; and (3) submitting your revised thesis to the graduate studies office. Last point is largely school-dependent, but in most schools, you have to satisfy all three requirements. After that, you'll be able to get a letter from your school saying that you have all prerequisites and apply for a PR without having yet (formally) obtained your PhD.

Of course, you can apply before completing all requirements towards your PhD if you have enough points or, say, previously completed your BSc/MSc in Canada. You sure can also try your luck and apply anyways, as some of us did.

Habib2012

Dec 13, 2012
I'm confused, plz help:

Which processing office we should choose, in Question 4 IMM 0008 (The generic form)???

a. CPP-O
b. CPC- Sydney
c. CIO- Sydney

I'm confused coz the explanation is not clear.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
kg.jadu said:
Apparently, to be on the safe side you need to submit your application after you've satisfied all your degree requirements, which includes (1) completing coursework and possibly your comprehensive; (2) writing and defending your thesis; and (3) submitting your revised thesis to the graduate studies office. Last point is largely school-dependent, but in most schools, you have to satisfy all three requirements. After that, you'll be able to get a letter from your school saying that you have all prerequisites and apply for a PR without having yet (formally) obtained your PhD.
Hi kg.jadu, if I'm not mistaken, you also have to apply to Sydney to get your PER? Was it related to the 5 adaptability points? Did you need to rely to these points to get above 67 points?

Also, just to make it clear, the wording regarding credits for two years study (along with 30 hours per week for full-time work) is only applicable when the new point system is implemented for the new FSWP program (which hopefully still includes the PhD stream). As of now, the program needs to be completed to claim these 5 points.

Habib2012 said:
Which processing office we should choose, in Question 4 IMM 0008 (The generic form)???

a. CPP-O
b. CPC- Sydney
c. CIO- Sydney
I don't think you can put CIO Sydney as your processing office, so choose 'CPP-Ottawa'. Other applicants can probably confirm.

sehara

Feb 22, 2013
Hello guys,
I am new to this forum and not 100% sure if this is the right way to send a message:D however, I just wanted to ask a quick question.
I was asked to provide bunch of documents on Jan24,2013 and I submitted them two weeks ago (Feb07,2013), since Feb14,2013, the line "we started processing your application" is shown online but we have not received any medical or other emails from CIC. What does this mean and did it happen to any of you guys.

Thank you.

kuzey

Star Member
Oct 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-05-2012
Doc's Request.
06-02-2013
Med's Request
14-06-2013
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Passport Req..
06-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2013
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
Did andy.fan rejected after document request. I remember one here who was rejected even after document request. I am on the same boat. But I am a May2012 applicant. I have not appealed and it has been awarded automatically by Sydney. I got document request email on Feb.06-2013. I also have 4 years work experience which could reach my points to 67 even without 5 points of adaptability. But I have no idea that they would count on that or not.

asbereth said:

Habib2012

Dec 13, 2012
Please consult me:

A friend of mine has already sent her package and recently found out that CIO cashed the money. The problem is that she just found that she put CIO Sydney as processing office (instead of CCP- Ottawa). She has not received her file number yet, so the question is what's gonna happen and what can she possibly do? For example can she send an email or contact them to correct the mistake? or what?

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
kuzey said:
Did andy.fan rejected after document request. I remember one here who was rejected even after document request. I am on the same boat. But I am a May2012 applicant. I have not appealed and it has been awarded automatically by Sydney. I got document request email on Feb.06-2013. I also have 4 years work experience which could reach my points to 67 even without 5 points of adaptability. But I have no idea that they would count on that or not.
Yes, his rejection came after document request. He submitted the proof of funds, then a month later, they rejected him for not having enough points, even though it should've been addressed when he appealed to Ottawa. If you do not require these 5 points to get above 67 points, then it probably wouldn't matter. I think we have confirmed that Sydney automatically awarded these 5 points from April onwards, after they started getting appeals after appeals about this.

The problem is, Ottawa may not accept this, so hopefully they soon will wise up and start realizing that there are a lot of applicants between April and July 2012 that must have thought they could rely on these 5 points without having ever completed a program in Canada, what with the ambiguous wording 'there is no need to have obtained a degree or diploma for these two years of study to earn these points'. Apparently what they really meant was 'having completed two years of study, but it is okay if after completing it, you did not get a degree or a credential'.

sehara said:
I was asked to provide bunch of documents on Jan24,2013 and I submitted them two weeks ago (Feb07,2013), since Feb14,2013, the line "we started processing your application" is shown online but we have not received any medical or other emails from CIC. What does this mean and did it happen to any of you guys. Thank you.
I think that's a good thing, or it could just be a normal procedure. Usually it happens when after they accepted the documents they requested or after medical has been sent out.

Habib2012 said:
A friend of mine has already sent her package and recently found out that CIO cashed the money. The problem is that she just found that she put CIO Sydney as processing office (instead of CCP- Ottawa). She has not received her file number yet, so the question is what's gonna happen and what can she possibly do? For example can she send an email or contact them to correct the mistake? or what?
I think the instruction is pretty clear that you cannot put CIO Sydney as processing office, though I don't think it's a big deal. Send them an email and call the call center, and explain to them the situation. Since this would not affect her eligibility in any way, most likely they'll be okay.