Star Member
Mar 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Brit_Immigrant said:
They assume a PhD program is a full time degree. i.e. it doesn't abide by the undergraduate 4 month semesters. For the PhD application stream, you must be enrolled for 12 months of the year (or equivalent number of years to make 24 months) not the 8 months that you displayed. If your course is only 8 months of the year. You will have to complete 3 years (i.e. 24 months) before you will be deemed eligible to apply under this category.

Hope this helps
I agree with Brit_Immigrant. Normally, a full-time PhD program is registered for 12 months per year. It's seems that CIO checks the duration of study very carefully for eligibility review.

I think, at this point, CIO didn't en-cash the application fee, right?

Luigiovemma

Star Member
Mar 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-20-2013
Nomination.....
03-05-2014
AOR Received.
04-30-2014
Med's Request
04-30-2014
L_Bloom said:
Hello everybody,
I have a very strange refusal letter. :-[
I have applied to the Federal Skilled Worker program within the PhD stream on June 7th, 2012. I have provided CIC office with the official letter from the University of Toronto that says that I have completed two years towards the completion of my PhD program. My program lasts 8 months each year and thus I have completed two academic years (16 months) towards my PhD degree and stay in good academic standing. The letter contains all necessary information with the name and the contact information of the Director of Student Services.
I would like to get further clarifications on what exactly is missing in my application and why the email of the CIC officer says that
"there is insufficient evidence on file that you have completed at least 2 years of a PhD program delivered by a provincially or territorially recognized private of public post-secondary educational institution located in Canada".
I did not get ANY clarification what was wrong in my application.
Please suggest what I have to do now. CIC refused to give me any additional information. I could not find how to count "2 years". Are they equal 24 month or they equal "2 years of graduate study" (= 16 month in two academic years).
Hi L_Bloom, just curious, did you actually take the 4 months off or just not take any classes during summer? I'm at U of Toronto too but I never heard any PhD program here only registering for 8 months a year.

L_Bloom

Jun 20, 2012
Thank you!
I am registered for 12 month but my courses last 8 month. I found the clarification at "Canadian Experience Class" which states:

"- Full-time studies – To be eligible, you must have been considered “full-time” at your school.
- Two years of study – At least 16 months—or four semesters—within the 24 months before completing a full-time post-secondary program of study in Canada".
In addition SGS of UofT confirmed that I completed 2 years of my PhD programme. I am full-time PhD student.
The problem is that I could not find the definition of "2 years" at CIC. I will talk to SGS official tomorrow because they BELIEVE that I completed 2 years of PhD proragmme. It is a quite upsetting situation because my graduate studies office misinform me.
:(

Brit_Immigrant

Star Member
May 16, 2012
L_Bloom said:
Thank you!
I am registered for 12 month but my courses last 8 month. I found the clarification at "Canadian Experience Class" which states:

"- Full-time studies – To be eligible, you must have been considered “full-time” at your school.
- Two years of study – At least 16 months—or four semesters—within the 24 months before completing a full-time post-secondary program of study in Canada".
In addition SGS of UofT confirmed that I completed 2 years of my PhD programme. I am full-time PhD student.
The problem is that I could not find the definition of "2 years" at CIC. I will talk to SGS official tomorrow because they BELIEVE that I completed 2 years of PhD proragmme. It is a quite upsetting situation because my graduate studies office misinform me.
:(
That is pretty annoying. Good luck with it.

L_Bloom

Jun 20, 2012
Luigiovemma said:
Hi L_Bloom, just curious, did you actually take the 4 months off or just not take any classes during summer? I'm at U of Toronto too but I never heard any PhD program here only registering for 8 months a year.
Hi Luigiovemma,

No I did not. I consulted with SGS officer who told me that my academic year was completed by May 1st. I've got the letter of confirmation in May even if I was registered for full calendar year. Now I am thinking that I made a mistake because CIC stated that the university may define the term "2 years of education".

L_Bloom

Jun 20, 2012
Aaron2012 said:
I agree with Brit_Immigrant. Normally, a full-time PhD program is registered for 12 months per year. It's seems that CIO checks the duration of study very carefully for eligibility review.

I think, at this point, CIO didn't en-cash the application fee, right?
Hi Aaron 2012,

CIC en-cashed the application but they will give the money back in 12 - 16 weeks. The problem is that CIC will not return the application pack back and I have to apply again and acquire all police certificates, etc. The cap will be filled by September 1st (I think)when I complete full 24 calendar month.

Aaron2012

Star Member
Mar 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
L_Bloom said:
Hi Aaron 2012,

CIC en-cashed the application but they will give the money back in 12 - 16 weeks. The problem is that CIC will not return the application pack back and I have to apply again and acquire all police certificates, etc. The cap will be filled by September 1st (I think)when I complete full 24 calendar month.
Previously, CIO didn't encash any application if an application fails to meet eligibility criteria and they will return the entire app package by mail at that stage. They only encash an application when it is in process (meaning the application package is good to be scored). Maybe you should double check that instead of preparing everything again.

snow_walker

Star Member
Nov 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
L_Bloom said:
Hi Aaron 2012,

Correct me if I am wrong, you started your program on 2010 September and since you are done with your 8X2=16 month 'class' you though you have completed 2 years of study right? If that is the case, then CIO is right to refuse your application since you haven't completed 2 years of study. You will be eligible on September 2012. Not before that.

L_Bloom

Jun 20, 2012
snow_walker said:
Correct me if I am wrong, you started your program on 2010 September and since you are done with your 8X2=16 month 'class' you though you have completed 2 years of study right? If that is the case, then CIO is right to refuse your application since you haven't completed 2 years of study. You will be eligible on September 2012. Not before that.
You are right. But I had called to CIC and talked to CIO and asked the definition of "2 years" before I applied to the PhD streem. She replied: "It is up to your university's discretion". I contacted SGS of UofT and they defined '2 years' as "8X8". I will meet them tomorrow in order to clarify situation. It is very frustration to be caught between 2 CIO's opinions.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
snow_walker said:
I agree with snow_walker. Be patient. It is better to show that you are actually during your third year of your PhD education. That way you show that you have finished 2 years of education, which need not to be continuous.

30pixie

Mar 29, 2012
Hi! I got an email about the medical and police certificates today.

Has anyone had their medical examination in Vancouver? Any recommendations for a designated med. practitioner?

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
30pixie said:

Has anyone had their medical examination in Vancouver? Any recommendations for a designated med. practitioner?

Congrats Amigo! Very happy for you! That is very good news! I can't help you with a MD in vancouver, but all of them should be ok!

Brit_Immigrant

Star Member
May 16, 2012
30pixie said:

Congrats. First one who applied in 2012 to receive med requests I believe. This is good news that they appear to be moving forward still.

Feb2004

Feb 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa (OPNP)
NOC Code......
NA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-8-2014
Nomination.....
11-8-2014
AOR Received.
29-10-2014
IELTS Request
Med's Request
31-10-2014
Med's Done....
1-12-2014
Interview........
PCC & RPRF 21-5-2015 (in process);PCC reached 4th June, RPRF paid 5th June.
Passport Req..
DM & PPR 13 Aug
VISA ISSUED...
20 Aug 2015. PP & COPR recd 26-8-2015
LANDED..........
6 Sept 2015
Hi! Anyone please....Is the police certificate sent along with the application or later?

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
30pixie, congratulations!!!

While 30pixie submitted his (or her) application by mid-Jan, and there were several people that submitted theirs earlier but haven't heard anything yet, his PER date was mostly earlier than several other early January guys, so it could be that they take into account the PER dates as well?

Also, TyrusX and snow_walker, shouldn't we color 30pixie entry on the spreadsheet blue, since he got the medical request already?