Nov 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
@phdapplicant: in my case, it took a few days.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Hey guys
I sent my application on Jan 17 and it was received by the CIC on Jan 19.
No news so far, and no charges in my credit card yet. 19 days so far and I suppose
at least 20-25 more to go before they do it.

I also talked to a lawyer and she confirmed that everyone need to have at least 1 year of
full time and continuous work experience and that they will probably not considerate
RA/TA because it's part of you education experience and not, (her words) "real work experience".

It seems that the objective of the PhD Stream is to get skilled workers instead of Future Professors/Researchers,
and that is the reason for not accepting it.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Just out of curiosity, did you guys send the police clearance certificate with the application, are you waiting to be requested?

I sent mine, just in case that accelerates the process.

AF___

Star Member
Feb 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-12
Doc's Request.
09-01-13
Med's Request
22-03-13
Med's Done....
06-04-13
Passport Req..
22-11-13
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-13
TyrusX said:
I also talked to a lawyer and she confirmed that everyone need to have at least 1 year of
full time and continuous work experience and that they will probably not considerate
RA/TA because it's part of you education experience and not, (her words) "real work experience".

It seems that the objective of the PhD Stream is to get skilled workers instead of Future Professors/Researchers,
and that is the reason for not accepting it.
I doubt this! I'm pretty sure that our TA counts as employment as we receive T4 slips for it and we have contracts and all. And RA, depending on your univ, it can be employment or just award. I've seen people in BC applying through Canadian Experience just based on their TA/RA "Canadian work experience" and had their application accepted.

I don't remember seeing anywhere in the application guide for FSW-PhD that we MUST have 1 yr work experience! Could you point me to where you saw that?

This is what I find:

"Category 1

you have at least one year of continuous full time or equivalent paid work experience in the last ten years in at least one of the occupational categories identified in the Ministerial Instructions."

"Category 3

You are an international student currently enrolled in a doctoral (PhD) program, delivered by a recognized post-secondary educational institution located in Canada, and:

have completed at least two years towards the completion of your PhD,
are in good academic standing, and
are not a recipient of a Government of Canada award requiring you to return to your home country to apply your knowledge and skills"

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
AF___ said:
I doubt this! I'm pretty sure that our TA counts as employment as we receive T4 slips for it and we have contracts and all. And RA, depending on your univ, it can be employment or just award. I've seen people in BC applying through Canadian Experience just based on their TA/RA "Canadian work experience" and had their application accepted.

I don't remember seeing anywhere in the application guide for FSW-PhD that we MUST have 1 yr work experience! Could you point me to where you saw that?
I know, i was a bit disappointed when she told me that too, it is so hard to make "normal" people understand that what we do is work. I'm not very trusty of lawyers, you know.

But this is what is on the immigration guide, page 6:

What are the minimum requirements?
All applicants must meet the following minimal requirements to apply as a skilled worker:
- You must have at least one year of continuous full-time, paid work experience or the equivalent in part-time continuous employment
- You must have had this experience within the last 10 years
- Your work experience must be Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupation Classification (NOC)

I think other people here also notice that in other posts.

ejamal

Star Member
Nov 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2011
AOR Received.
24-02-2012
Med's Request
25-5-2012
Passport Req..
28-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I know that might sound disappointing to all of us but I agree with TyrusX.

@MASOUD2011 & snow_walker, guys don't you feel that CIC should have replied by now for November applicants? Or I'm just paranoid?

snow_walker

Star Member
Nov 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
@ejamal: what to say... nothing to do other than waiting.... i believe, we will be getting PER in a batch may be.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
ejamal said:
I know that might sound disappointing to all of us but I agree with TyrusX.

@ MASOUD2011 & snow_walker, guys don't you feel that CIC should have replied by now for November applicants? Or I'm just paranoid?
Tell me about. It's being only about 20 days I sent mine and I'm already anxious. They will probably send the first PERs in groups of 20 or 50. However, it seems like this will not go as fast as we want.

But honestly, we don't need to worry that much, even if it doesn't work now, we can still get the post-graduate work permit later and apply for it afterwards. It will just take a bit longer. My lawyer also told me that it is possible to send applications in two different classes at the same time, so maybe CEC is not such a bad idea if you can prove that you RA is considered work by your University.

Also guys, you may be unaware of this, but the lawyer told me that procedures they use to evaluate the applications is available online:
Search for Operational manuals and bulletins on the cic website.

You can read it there, in the FSW class procedures (OP -06), page 17:
Evidence to consider when making the final determination of eligibility for processing
Review the application and determine whether it meets all the criteria of the MI. For an application to be considered for processing under these Instructions, the applicant, on the date of application, must:
• have experience in the last ten years under one or more (see note below) of the National Occupation Classification (NOC) codes specified in the MI, and the application does not exceed the maximum of 20,000 new, complete applications per year with no more than 1,000 applications of this maximum in any one NOC category;
or
• have an Arranged Employment Offer (AEO) consistent with requirements of subsection R82(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR).

Note: Applicants must have at least one year of continuous full-time or equivalent paid work experience in at least one of the listed NOCs and not combined partial year experience in multiple NOCs. Anticipated short breaks between jobs are acceptable. For example, if an applicant is employed in one occupation for a 4 month contract and before the end of that contract, has secured other employment that will begin shortly after the end of first contract, this break in continuity would be acceptable. The occupation must be listed in the MI.
This documents list all the procedures they use when analyzing applications. It doesn't seem to have changed since the introduction of the Phd Class. Since its being 3 months already, One would believe they are still using the same regulations, since they haven't update it online.

Dani1982

Star Member
Nov 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2012
Nomination.....
26-09-2012
RA is considered as a work, I know several students from our university and also other universities which are now PR under the CEC class

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Dani1982 said:
RA is considered as a work, I know several students from our university and also other universities which are now PR under the CEC class
Dani, do you think that would work for a Masters RA as well? My flatmate is about to graduate and he didn't use his post graduate work permit and you are allowed to apply for it only once. He made a big mistake!

korean guy

Feb 8, 2012
Dani1982 said:
Yes, it tends to be really confusing, because people are saying differently.
Some of my friends told me TA can be counted as working experience (but it was a couple of years ago, when the immigration system was different from now).
However, these days, people around me tend to say it is not considered as "working experience" CIC is really looking for after talking to CIC and lawyers.
Probably, even workers in CIC might have different opinion about it.
Good luck guys.

Dani1982

Star Member
Nov 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2012
Nomination.....
26-09-2012
TA and RA both does have NOC , I think this means that CIC accept those as a job, but the thing is under FSW, you have to be either 2 year PhD student or your NOC must be one of the ones that CIC need or have a job offer. and also you have to get 67 points if you are single in order to be eligible.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Yep. I meant for him to apply in the Canadian Experience Class though.

phdapplicant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
I asked the same questions 2 months ago, here are the answers (provided by immigration lawyers at my school and confirmed by a CIC representative):
- Even if you're applying under PhD Stream in FSW class, you must satisfy all other requirements like everyone else in FSW class, including one year of working experience and 67 points.
- The 1-year working experience can be part-time, but it must be continuous. If you have some break during your employment record during your study, such as no RA/TA in one term, then you cannot combine it. For example, you are doing TA in Fall 2009, Winter 2010, and Fall 2010, but nothing for summer 2010), then your experience is considered not continuous, hence unsatisfied. In other words, you cannot combine those working periods to satisfy the 1-year working requirement, BUT you can use them to calculate your scores.
- If you're working part-time, the total combined number of hours must be equivalent to 1 year of full-time of employment (around 37.5hours/week*52week).
- Worst part: In many graduate schools, international graduate students can work a maximum of 10 hours of paid employment per week -> it might take you 4 years to have enough working hours equivalent to 1 year of full-time work. So check your school policies.
- Most confusing part: Can I use my RA for that 1-year working experience? The simply rule is that if your RA is taxed, then you can use it. But if your RA is not taxed (scholarship, fellowship, etc.), then the answer is no: it cannot be counted as work experience.

Hope that help :)

ejamal

Star Member
Nov 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2011
AOR Received.
24-02-2012
Med's Request
25-5-2012
Passport Req..
28-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I have looked in to the CEC before. And, they would accept a person who is doing his PhD studies if
1- Got his Masters from a Canadian University, in at least two academic years i.e. 4 full-time semesters.
2- While doing your PhD you worked (TA/RA) at least 20hours/week for two years. That means that you receive T4 slip showing enough income to account for the number of hours you claimed to work per week. Any income you receive that shows up on the T4A slip will not be considered paid work.

I hope that was helpful,