19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Dani1982 said:
Go for the IELTS, you can also apply under CEC with IELTS, CELPIP is is not acceptable for CEC
I didn't know that. Overall IELTS is a much better test, much better than TOELF and CELPIP. But it is harder.

maytheflower

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maytheflower said:
Limit on the number of PhD eligibility stream applications to be processed

With respect to applications under the PhD eligibility stream, complete applications will continue to be put into processing until the annual cap of 1,000 is reached, as established by Ministerial Instructions that came into force on November 5, 2011.

The current cap year for the PhD stream ends on October 31, 2012, and unless otherwise indicated in a future Ministerial Instruction, the cap will be automatically reset on November 1, 2012.

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob438.asp

Sounds not bad.
Any news or comments regarding this?

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
maytheflower said:
Any news or comments regarding this?
Well. I believe the caps has been reached or is pretty close. But doesn't matter, you will find out soon.

salem10

Jul 6, 2010
Ontario, since 2006
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
0711/4131/4121
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2010
Doc's Request.
Nov 02, 2010
AOR Received.
May 19, 2011 from buffalo
IELTS Request
submitted writtin sample (accepted)
Med's Request
April 14, 2012
Med's Done....
June 10, 2011, again in May 02, 2012 -medical furtherance June29-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
20-06-2015
Hi All,

Any one knows if it will be possible to claim tuition back of pervious terms. I have received my positive eligibility confirmation letter from buffalo on May 2012. The letter stated clearly “we have completed assessment of your file.” From this forum, I realized that I should ask to domestic rate. I submitted my letter to the Grad Office, only, last month and asked them to adjust my tuition from international student rate to the domestic rate, and it seems they adjust in my university account waiting for refund.
But my question is can I ask to the previous term which I paid international rate since I have the letter before the reported date “deadline”?

beauty00 said:
My husband got a email last Friday about tuition deduction for people got PER letter. University of Waterloo made a public announcement to all phD students. But still, we didn't see if it's meaningful, since all international students we saw in waterloo, already got domestic rate (compensated by a international student award). the difference may be just UHIP and OHIP. If we can get response from OHIP, maybe he should inform them to change both his tuition and insurance to domestic.

Thanks for the useful information. Hopefully, every international phD student can get this benefit, especially in ontario, since we paid too much tuition and it keeps increasing every year.

maytheflower

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TyrusX said:
Well. I believe the caps has been reached or is pretty close. But doesn't matter, you will find out soon.
Actually, 1000 per year is a reasonable number. Considering 853 applications till Aug 15, the total applications should be around 1000-1200. For the first year, there are also some extra applicants with more than 2 years study experience or obtaining doctor degree in the past year. For the coming second year, most of these cases will be submitted in the first year. For the second year, most of the applicants will come from the fresh 2 years PhD student, and this number should be around 1000.

maytheflower

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am still wondering this cap means 1000 applications or 1000 applicants. That will be quite different, because by average each application include around 1.7 applicants.

According to CIC website, it is 1000 applications. But I am not sure about this. Anyone can explain or confirm?

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
maytheflower said:
I am still wondering this cap means 1000 applications or 1000 applicants. That will be quite different, because by average each application include around 1.7 applicants.

According to CIC website, it is 1000 applications. But I am not sure about this. Anyone can explain or confirm?
Applications for sure. It has always been applications.

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I just noticed the discussion regarding OHIP, and I have a question:

So far, I have been under UHIP. If I apply to OHIP now with my PER letter, do you guys think I could get a refund of the UHIP fee? Or would this be too late as we're already in october?

Thanks a lot!

MSE

May 28, 2012
1) Normally universities have deadlines to opt-out of UHIP. If you can present OHIP card to them before deadline, you should get refund of the remaining months' fees.

2) There is no harm in getting OHIP for your husband. Later on you can decide which one to use.

3) Your babay, as a Canadian citizen is automatically eligible for OHIP.

ASG said:
Hi everyone,

I just notcied the discussion regarding OHIP, and I have a few questions:

1) So far, I have been under UHIP. If I apply to OHIP now with my PER letter, do you guys think I could get a refund of the UHIP fee? Or would this be too late as we're already in october?

2) My husband is also a foreigner, but he has a health card - if I apply to OHIP, should I try to get him on? It seems to me that his Health card is a better option.

3) We are expecting a baby who will be born on Canada. Again, do you think I should get OHIP for him/her, or is there a different way for my baby to get coverage, as he/she will be a Canadian citizen?

Thanks a lot!

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Today it's been 11 months since Massoud applied on this stream. Only a few more days until we find out if the cap will be reset or if they will change the rules. Given the order of priority, seems like we are still at least 6 months aways from getting the visa. CPP-Ottawas seems to be focusing on MI-1 backlog. seems like they are still in May 2010 Applicants.

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks MSE!

So, I got OHIP today, and although it's awesome for me, the way it was done was very complicated and clearly not the way it should have been done.

Like everyone else, I went to Service Ontario with a copy of my PER email, and they wouldn't take this as "written confirmation of being eligible for permanent residence". They wanted a hard copy...

They called the Kingston office hotline from their desk, and this was actually confirmed to them (despite the fact that a bunch of people here got their status changed after appealing to the Kingston office).

I ended up getting help from a woman from an NGO who wrote a letter for me explaining the policy changes and that most communication was now via email, but this didn't work either.

They ended up putting me as an "accompanying family member" on my husband's Health Card. Thing is, he's the one who's accompanying me, as I arrived in Canada before him, so they had me put a date of arrival in Canada that was different from the date I "took residence" in Canada, which corresponded to my husband's arrival...They didn't know what date to put on, so that's pretty much what they asked me to do...

The thing took us all day long, but it's worth it.

All I can say is GOOD LUCK to all the ones who will have to deal with that. The easiest way for the ones who don't have a spouse with OHIP is DEFINITELY tyo go to Service Ontario, get rejected, file an appeal form, and join a personal letter explaining the changes and why we should be eligible for OHIP after we get PER, and send all that to the OHIP eligibility review committee.

Hope this helps!

mike5182

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys,

Thanks for this forum, I knew a lot of things. I just want to share something about the OHIP. I went the local Service Ontario and one lady who is really kindly put my info and my wife' info into their computer and gave me the appeal form and told me how to appeal although I have known how to appeal it. I mailed my and my wife' diver licence, passport, student ID, study permit, explanation letter, and the eligibility assessment form to OHIP eligibility review committee two weeks ago. I received the approvals letter today for me and my wife. I also mailed one form which is IMM5475E to release my information to the committee. That's why it is so fast.

mike5182

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I want to share one more thing, the applicant who has been issued PER may be eligible to apply for child daycare subsidy from the regional government. I will keep on posting later after my meeting with the caseworker in the region.

maytheflower

Star Member
Sep 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mike5182 said:
I want to share one more thing, the applicant who has been issued PER may be eligible to apply for child daycare subsidy from the regional government. I will keep on posting later after my meeting with the caseworker in the region.
Sounds great. Thanks for sharing.