+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Anyone applied a Student Permit from Philippines?

mic-mic

May 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 4, 2015
Med's Request
April 6, 2015
Med's Done....
April 8, 2015 (PASSED April 23)
Passport Req..
May 18, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
May 20, 2015
LANDED..........
July 2015
Wow, sounds interesting! Was supposed to take Masters in Health Management at York University kaso ang mahal masyado ng tuition :( I heard from people here that it's good to work for the IT department of Hospitals than Banks here. Goodluck! :)

pards123

Nov 30, 2016
Hi guys! Im newbie here but im reading the thread for a month and very helpful. Lalo n batch nila mic-mic, floje, scorpio 6141, venice1508.

Mejo ndi lng po ako mkakuha ng idea coz i think most of u here e nursing or nasa health industry.

Here's My wife's background:
BSBA major in banking nd finance. (2 yrs diploma in WES) She's working also in the bank for a couple of years. Most of her experience is working in the corporate world as executive secretary. She did work also in singapore for 6 mos as retail staff.

Now, shes planning to take Business Marketing. And ako nmn e OWP and may 2 yr old baby kmi trv (ayon s mga nabasa ko dto)

My question po is.
1.) Is her course and experience will not be a problem if she will take marketing? Or bka ma question kc business course nnmn at diploma lng.

2.) Which province po kaya ang mgndang mag ng marketing program or in demand ang marketing? Pra pag graduate nya e sure n mgkaka work.

3.) Anong public school po kaya mgnda. Cheap pero may opportunity for employment at susuporthan for PGWP.

mic-mic

May 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 4, 2015
Med's Request
April 6, 2015
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
May 18, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
May 20, 2015
LANDED..........
July 2015
Hello pards! I think wala po nag nursing sa mga names na nabanggit ninyo :) In fact, during our time, nursing grads had more problems in their application :(

As for your questions:

1. As long as you can clearly justify why she decided to take marketing

2. Sadly, if you take marketing, you will he competing with the locals and unless it is highly specialized, maybe the demand is not that high :( In my case I took programming and in my class 5/80 students lang ang domestic hehe but the demand is there. Maybe you can pick a program that is more specialize/in demand

3. Colleges are deemed "more hands on" and better check the reputation/ranking of the school po. Importante po is accredited yung school para maka apply ng PGWP

pards123

Nov 30, 2016
mic-mic said:
Hello pards! I think wala po nag nursing sa mga names na nabanggit ninyo :) In fact, during our time, nursing grads had more problems in their application :(

As for your questions:

1. As long as you can clearly justify why she decided to take marketing

2. Sadly, if you take marketing, you will he competing with the locals and unless it is highly specialized, maybe the demand is not that high :( In my case I took programming and in my class 5/80 students lang ang domestic hehe but the demand is there. Maybe you can pick a program that is more specialize/in demand

3. Colleges are deemed "more hands on" and better check the reputation/ranking of the school po. Importante po is accredited yung school para maka apply ng PGWP

Hi mic-mic sorry s iba ko ata nbasa yung about s mga nursing. Saan kya makikita kung ano indemand n work? Kc 3 pinag pipilian ni misis. Marketing, management or admin. Pra ndi malayo s course at experience nya. Buti mgnda yung napili mong program. Eniweys i think i need more research pa. Hehe godbless.

mic-mic

May 7, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 4, 2015
Med's Request
April 6, 2015
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
May 18, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
May 20, 2015
LANDED..........
July 2015
Si scorpio and tipsy po, global business management ang kinuha na course. Yun din dapat kukiunin ko kaso useful si IT sa business namin and in demand din siya. Yun course naman nila is may internship so ok din yun para may experience na bago maghanap ng trabaho. What is difficult here is finding your first Canadian job if you are coming from another country. Totoo po yung mga story na yung iba is doctor pero taxi driver, engineer pero naging assembler, etc dahil nahirapan sila makahanap ng job dahil sa wala sila canadian experience.

BUT....for me, it depends na din on luck and how good you are at finding jobs and meeting people. Ako po zero experience sa IT kahit sa pinas pero I already have a couple of companies interested in taking me in once I graduate on April. Search lang po kayo sa google on in demand jobs in canada and then you can pick a related program from there po :)

Search niyo po si Global Business Management and you can see mixed reviews of people about it. I personally know someone studying it and tadtad lang sila ng assignments and projects without learning much. Di lang ako sure if it's the same case sa school ni tipsy and scorpio :)

journey namin

Star Member
Jun 13, 2014
mic-mic said:
Hello!

Sa public school I think it's almost free and you just have to bring some of their school credentials from back home. Better make sure at point of entry that thepiece of paper printed for them has details that they are allowed to study. Best is to know as early as now which school you intend to have them study in and send an email to one of their staff/admin to inquire. My son kasi is just 3 so next year pa and I will be on Work Permit by that time. With daycare naman, we pay 800/ month kasi sa mississauga wala subsidy ang mga students... BUT in Toronto, you can get subsidy for daycare if you can provide proof that you are a full time student and your partner is working fulltime and falls under a specific income range I think. Take note that the waiting list is vERY VERY long too!

Just a reminder to everyone, if you are really serious about applying, please read this thread from the beginning because the process barely changed and you will learn from the mistakes and success stories of people. No need for any agency because by merely reading here, mas madami pa ako nalaman kaysa sa mga agency and the money saved can go to your rent/bus money :)

Here's a sample computation bakit 10k/year ang hinahanap na show money for a single person:
1. Rent 700-1.5k/month depending sa location and if room lang, basement or 1 bedroom apartment
2. Bus pass, I spend roughly 150/month and this excludes trips on weekends
3. Food, very subjective on how picky you are pero we spend 100/week
4. Gas 50/week
5. Car insurance 350/month for 2 drivers
6. Daycare 800/month (libre sa Toronto pero swertehan din dahil sa haba ng pila)

So to give you an idea, we spend at least 2.5k/month. I hope this gives people a more realistic expectation kung magkano talaga ang kailangan nila. Syempre mas mura ang gastos if wala car and if single ka lang :)
Hi mic-mic! This is very helpful!
Lots of tidbits na pede pulutin :)

The cost of living is another bonus! Actually I am starting to consider costs of living in my planning though a bit early pa...since wala pa ko school nomination...anyhow I am working on it and just preparing everything I can before that happens!
Thanks for the help to newbies like us! God bless to all your plans! :)

jygot

Nov 26, 2016
kapatid said:
Interesting Case

I think you have a high chance of refusal because of your employment history.
Sorry, bro. You need a better game plan.
Hello kapatid,

Thanks for looking into my case. I forgot to mention that I had 2 years work experience as a Nursing-Aide in a hospital. Will that be considered as a work employment which would solidify my case when applying? Also, what type of letter do I need from the hospital with what you said on this line you wrote (AND someone to accept you once you are done with your diploma)? Will it still be a valid support since it's not a recent work experience?

Thanks. Hope to hear from you soon.

snickers_21

Star Member
Oct 31, 2012
mic-mic said:
Wow, sounds interesting! Was supposed to take Masters in Health Management at York University kaso ang mahal masyado ng tuition :( I heard from people here that it's good to work for the IT department of Hospitals than Banks here. Goodluck! :)
Oh, this is great info for IT people who wants to pursue or continue their IT field in Canada either in banks or in healthcare. I thought mas malaki pa rin sweldo ng IT sa mga banks/investment banks kahit sa Canada. :)

snickers_21

Star Member
Oct 31, 2012
johnrance87 said:
Hello snickers_21!

I am an IT graduate in the Philippines but I will be taking up Health Informatics in Canada.

Sa case ko kasi, I am currently working in a Health Insurance company. So I clearly explained all the relevant details why I decided to pursue the course.

Make sure that when you write your SOP, you follow the guidelines posted by mic-mic. That's what I did with mine. Huwag mag-tipid sa explanation, but mag focus ka sa reason why the particular course, why Canada and what will you do after studying.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
thank you for giving me idea. I had worked on healthcare system before which the company is based in Quebec and I can also put that and medyo mambola ng konti for my SOP. haha, thanks :)

pards123

Nov 30, 2016
mic-mic said:
Si scorpio and tipsy po, global business management ang kinuha na course. Yun din dapat kukiunin ko kaso useful si IT sa business namin and in demand din siya. Yun course naman nila is may internship so ok din yun para may experience na bago maghanap ng trabaho. What is difficult here is finding your first Canadian job if you are coming from another country. Totoo po yung mga story na yung iba is doctor pero taxi driver, engineer pero naging assembler, etc dahil nahirapan sila makahanap ng job dahil sa wala sila canadian experience.

BUT....for me, it depends na din on luck and how good you are at finding jobs and meeting people. Ako po zero experience sa IT kahit sa pinas pero I already have a couple of companies interested in taking me in once I graduate on April. Search lang po kayo sa google on in demand jobs in canada and then you can pick a related program from there po :)

Search niyo po si Global Business Management and you can see mixed reviews of people about it. I personally know someone studying it and tadtad lang sila ng assignments and projects without learning much. Di lang ako sure if it's the same case sa school ni tipsy and scorpio :)
Thanks mic-mic you are very helpful. Godbless s fmly mo... Ill do some research frst. Ill be back soon guys.

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
mikescotchwhisky said:
Guys, sa mga nakapunta na sa Canada is it okay to bring Pastillas? Pastel? Ano yung mga dapat e declare aside from money?
Yes it's okay.
Dedeclare mo mga meat or fish product.
Kukunin nila meat product, like hotdog, corn beef na de lata or naka pakete. Reason is baka may laman pa raw na parasite na walang epekto sa baka sa pinas pero di kaya ng mga baka sa canada kaya magkakaroon ng epidemya.
Fish product naman, dati nagdala ako ng tuyo at pagkatapos ko papuntahin sa side at sabi ko dried fish pinaalis na ako at di na pinabuksan bag. Tuyo is okay.

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
TiMMMY said:
Good day!

I would just like to ask if meron po kayo maisusugest na affordable schools in Alberta? Im planning to apply for Student Permit.

Thank you for your cooperation ;)
Halos same lang din naman ang tuition for international students. Around $15k per year and depends on your course

kapatid

Sep 27, 2016
Calgary
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
06-05-2006
jygot said:
Hello kapatid,

Thanks for looking into my case. I forgot to mention that I had 2 years work experience as a Nursing-Aide in a hospital. (Good, this will raise your chance a bit more. Considering it is within 10 years.)
Will that be considered as a work employment which would solidify my case when applying? (Probably) Also, what type of letter do I need from the hospital with what you said on this line you wrote (AND someone to accept you once you are done with your diploma)? (A letter saying something like... We will be accepting John as a [Insert job title here] once he is done taking License Practical Nurse from Bow valley college. I believe that this will raise the standard practices in our hospital and he will be a very important asset. Signed, the highest position in the hospital) Will it still be a valid support since it's not a recent work experience?

Thanks. Hope to hear from you soon.

TiMMMY

Jun 29, 2016
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kapatid said:
Halos same lang din naman ang tuition for international students. Around $15k per year and depends on your course
Six months health related courses sana since graduate ako ng Master of Nursing and Physical Therapy.

paulamaula

May 4, 2015
Out of curiosity...

Has anyone here who used the study scheme as pathway to Canadian PR made it successfully? I am very interested in gathering different response, like crowd-sourcing or pool of info that can be valuable to us hopeful's and at the same time give light to our other hopeful kababayan.

Maybe you can use this format:

1. What program and level did you pursue? (i.e. Master's degree/PG Diploma, Certificate); which Field (i.e. Culinary, Business, Finance, health)
2. Which university/college did you go to and what province was it located?
2. What is the duration of your program and how long did it take you to complete your studies?
3. How long did it take for you to land a job upon completion of your studies?
4. What stream did you undergo after studying (EE, CEC, FSW, PNP)
5. Did you successfully receive ITA/ Permanent Resident Status and owe it to your Canadian studies?

Hope we can have a lot of response on this. This will tremendously help all those who are still doubtful about shelling out so much money with studying in Canada in possibility of easier PR.

Thank you!

Reactions: d1rk3t