+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I Really Not a Citizen?

weofikl

Jan 26, 2017
itsmyid said:
I don't think you will get much sympathy here in this forum, sounds like neither you nor your mother ever lived in Canada and paid any Canadian taxes ... and you are at a forum where people get condemned for being Canadian of convenience even though they have to live here and pay tax for at least 4 years before they earn their citizenship
Thank you for your absolutely pointless comment about something that is completely none of your business. I was not looking for sympathy, rather a legal discussion. No need to be insufferable.

I've gone through the immigration process in five different countries already, not including the US for my spouse. Seems nobody knows much about my situation here, standard. Lawyer is next stage, not a big deal.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
weofikl said:
Thank you for your absolutely pointless comment about something that is completely none of your business. I was not looking for sympathy, rather a legal discussion. No need to be insufferable.

I've gone through the immigration process in five different countries already, not including the US for my spouse. Seems nobody knows much about my situation here, standard. Lawyer is next stage, not a big deal.
Shouldn't need to seek advice on an open discussion board with all that experience.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
weofikl said:
There wouldn't be if I disown her, but there would be once she reowns me via adoption.

I do like the hypothetical angle of the adoption. My parents are lawyers, so I'm certain I can be disowned in the US before coming.
Seriously? Any legal maneuverings to be adopted by your mother will clearly be determined as an Adoption of Convenience and any attempt at citizenship will be denied.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/resources/manuals/cp/cp14-eng.pdf

11.11. Identifying an adoption of convenience/for the purpose of acquiring a status or privilege – A5.1(1)(d), A5.1(2)(b) and A5.1(3)(b)

If an officer determines that an adoption was entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring a status or privilege in relation to immigration or citizenship (i.e., an adoption of convenience), the officer must refuse the application.

Officers must form their decision based upon factors of consideration which, taken together, could make a reasonably prudent person (balance of probabilities) conclude that the adoption has taken place in order to circumvent the requirements of the IRPA or the Citizenship Act.

weofikl

Jan 26, 2017
Tubsmagee said:
Shouldn't need to seek advice on an open discussion board with all that experience.
Nice condescending comment. That makes perfect sense. You are a patent lawyer, you shouldn't need to consult a tax lawyer with all of that experience in law.

weofikl

Jan 26, 2017
canuck_in_uk said:
Seriously? Any legal maneuverings to be adopted by your mother will clearly be determined as an Adoption of Convenience and any attempt at citizenship will be denied.

.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/resources/manuals/cp/cp14-eng.pdf

11.11. Identifying an adoption of convenience/for the purpose of acquiring a status or privilege – A5.1(1)(d), A5.1(2)(b) and A5.1(3)(b)

If an officer determines that an adoption was entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring a status or privilege in relation to immigration or citizenship (i.e., an adoption of convenience), the officer must refuse the application.

Officers must form their decision based upon factors of consideration which, taken together, could make a reasonably prudent person (balance of probabilities) conclude that the adoption has taken place in order to circumvent the requirements of the IRPA or the Citizenship Act.
Yes, surprisingly seriously. :) This is the discussion I was looking for, good, bad, or ugly.

That seems like the winner for the adoption idea, but I still am not sure it wouldn't work if the angle was obfuscated a bit. The circumvent term seems to be a pretty solid argument for the government.

It seems for sure to do this there would need to be a disowning, and as far as I can tell, the only way my mother is not my mother is if I am adopted by someone else first. So to do it would be longer and more complicated than just waiting six years through the normal process. It would only be fun as an exercise in politics.

I have a feeling that once Labour loses power that there will be a shift toward abolishing jus soli citizenship, but that could be decades to implement. There have been murmurs about that, more than the US, but it seems very far down the list now given Canada has a lot of room to grow. I'm fairly certain that would help me if that did happen. In Europe it definitely has under revised nationality laws.

I'm quite surprised none of the Republicans in the US have mentioned the jus soli thing. I expected it to be a top priority after Trump assumed power, but perhaps this is a midterm issue to throw around. The idea that you are a citizen just being born somewhere is not very common. It's a pretty bad plan the way the US does it. You end up with anchor babies and illegal immigration that nobody has the guts to stop because it would break up families.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
weofikl said:
I have a feeling that once Labour loses power that there will be a shift toward abolishing jus soli citizenship, but that could be decades to implement.
FYI: There's absolutely no chance of Labour losing power in Canada, because they never had power in the first place! The UK has a Labour party and Australia has a Labor party, but Canada does not.

weofikl

Jan 26, 2017
alphazip said:
FYI: There's absolutely no chance of Labour losing power in Canada, because they never had power in the first place! The UK has a Labour party and Australia has a Labor party, but Canada does not.
Sorry, meant Liberals. Lived in UK too long. It's all communism to me. Better dead than red.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You're not Canadian and not entitled to citizenship. But if you want to pursue - it's your money. Make sure you pick a reputable immigration lawyer. There are unfortunately a number that are not so good ones out there. Stay away from immigration consultants.

If you really want to move to Canada, your efforts would be better spent determining what it will take for you to qualify and be selected to immigrate. But again, your choice.

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
alphazip said:
I was somewhat interested in your case before reading the above. We don't need another Trump supporter here.
1) Who's "we". You decide for everyone? Who put your in charge?
2) Your comment was based on arbitrary judgement.
3) I'm not into politics but people can be for whoever they want. This is not a politics forum. I'm from a country where we love to debate peacefully. Difference of opinion is something to value and peaceful debate is the perfect example of Democracy.
4) I consider your comment bullying.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
scylla said:
You're not Canadian and not entitled to citizenship. But if you want to pursue - it's your money. Make sure you pick a reputable immigration lawyer. There are unfortunately a number that are not so good ones out there. Stay away from immigration consultants.

If you really want to move to Canada, your efforts would be better spent determining what it will take for you to qualify and be selected to immigrate. But again, your choice.
That would take 6-12 months of PR application processing time , plus 4 years of PR time and another year of citizenship application processing time - so nearly 6 years, that's just too much effort to become a Canadian citizen while the OP is looking for something much faster since he truely believes he's entitled - even though have been pointed out otherwise

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
itsmyid said:
That would take 6-12 months of PR application processing time , plus 4 years of PR time and another year of citizenship application processing time - so nearly 6 years, that's just too much effort to become a Canadian citizen while the OP is looking for something much faster since he truely believes he's entitled - even though have been pointed out otherwise
Yeah - I totally get that. I just think the OP will be wasting his time and money pursuing the other route and am trying to convince him otherwise. :)

If he does get here, I think he's also going to be disappointed in the "getting away from cantankerous people complaining about Trump" goal. There's lots of that happening here all of the time. The difference is that unlike America, it's not just the left/middle complaining - it's conservatives as well. I'm a bit right-of-centre - but I think dude is a horrible example of a human being and already a disaster as a president (like that's any surprise). I could go on for hours. My mom is a staunch conservative and talks non-stop about how much she hates him and how everything he is doing and saying is moronic. So be forewarned. Cantankerous is here too.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MarceauBletard said:
1) Who's "we". You decide for everyone? Who put your in charge?
2) Your comment was based on arbitrary judgement.
3) I'm not into politics but people can be for whoever they want. This is not a politics forum. I'm from a country where we love to debate peacefully. Difference of opinion is something to value and peaceful debate is the perfect example of Democracy.
4) I consider your comment bullying.
"We" is the plural of "I." Therefore, I would use "we" if I'm giving the opinion of my spouse and I; my spouse, my friends and I; and indeed the millions of Canadians who likely don't care for an American referring to the Liberals and NDP as "commies." If you are of a different opinion, then "we" certainly doesn't include you or anyone else of a similar viewpoint in this forum. However, I do note that for someone so apolitical, you're quite selective in your objection. I see political comments in this forum all the time, and though you don't like my specific comment (though apparently not the others), who put you in charge?

MarceauBletard

Aug 12, 2016
Montréal, Québec
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montréal, Québec
LANDED..........
18-05-2011 WHP
alphazip said:
"We" is the plural of "I." Therefore, I would use "we" if I'm giving the opinion of my spouse and I; my spouse, my friends and I; and indeed the millions of Canadians who likely don't care for an American referring to the Liberals and NDP as "commies." If you are of a different opinion, then "we" certainly doesn't include you or anyone else of a similar viewpoint in this forum. However, I do note that for someone so apolitical, you're quite selective in your objection. I see political comments in this forum all the time, and though you don't like my specific comment (though apparently not the others), who put you in charge?
I'm not in charge, this is why I never said "we" nor talked in the name of "millions of Canadians" like you just did. I'm just someone who doesn't like bullying from any side of the political spectrum. This is why I don't like talking politics with strangers. Also, behind a keyboard, messages and tones are misunderstood and you don't have a beer to chill and cheer up.
If you want to know, I'm a middle-of-the-road guy, I think there's good and bad everywhere and the world needs to find the right balance.
Either way, I think difference of opinion is a wonderful thing and the best proof of Democracy.
If you shut up everyone who offends you or send them away or fine them or send them to jail, then you don't live in a Democracy anymore.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
weofikl said:

Of course it is none of my business lol - but it just seems funny you are posting your questions here to get answers from people who also have no business in what you are trying to do with your life

weofikl

Jan 26, 2017
scylla said:

Turns out I am today, so all of this is moot. Mother was already registered and confused me. It's going to take too long to sort to take the job offer, but at least I can drain the system if I need to in the future.

Nobody is having fun here. :-(