+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I Really Not a Citizen?

lookntocanada

Jan 28, 2017
I hope I found the right place to ask this! I'm an American living with my family in upstate New York. With Trump running the country now, I want to find a way out before disaster strikes! I hope my destination can be Canada. I was born in New York to Canadian parents in 1980. My parents became American in 1978, and my wife was born here and her folks are American. We have a son who was born here in 2005 and a daughter born in 2007. My question is do we qualify for Canadian citizenship? If we do, does that mean we can move to Canada whenever we want? If we don't, what would we have to do to immigrate? Thanks for your help!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lookntocanada said:
I hope I found the right place to ask this! I'm an American living with my family in upstate New York. With Trump running the country now, I want to find a way out before disaster strikes! I hope my destination can be Canada. I was born in New York to Canadian parents in 1980. My parents became American in 1978, and my wife was born here and her folks are American. We have a son who was born here in 2005 and a daughter born in 2007. My question is do we qualify for Canadian citizenship? If we do, does that mean we can move to Canada whenever we want? If we don't, what would we have to do to immigrate? Thanks for your help!
lookntocanada, I hesitate to answer you, since some people (MarceauBletard in particular) are offended by anti-Trump talk. But, here goes...

Your parents are Canadian citizens, because taking a foreign citizenship after 1977 did not result in the loss of Canadian citizenship. Because you were born abroad to Canadian citizens after 1977, your birth did not have to be registered, so you are also a Canadian citizen. Your children, born abroad to a Canadian (you) before 2009, are also Canadian citizens. So, the only person in your family who is not Canadian is your wife (and, of course, her parents). Canadian citizenship is not conferred by marriage.

You will need to request citizenship certificates for yourself and your children (look here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certif.asp), and you will need to sponsor your wife for permanent residency (look here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/). Your parents don't need citizenship certificates. They can get Canadian passports (if they don't already have them) just using their birth certificates.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
weofikl said:
at least I can drain the system if I need to in the future.
Sarcasm alert: what a beautiful sentiment from a would-be Canadian. Of course, I'm speaking for myself and not MarceauBletard, who rushed to the OP's defense.

lookntocanada

Jan 28, 2017
Thanks so much Alphazip for such a helpful answer! That's great news! I'm going to get working on those citizenship certificates and apply to sponsor my wife. We want to move to Canada as soon as we can.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lookntocanada said:
Thanks so much Alphazip for such a helpful answer! That's great news! I'm going to get working on those citizenship certificates and apply to sponsor my wife. We want to move to Canada as soon as we can.
You may be able to apply for proof of citizenship urgently. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/urgent-proof.asp

Your reason would be that you need proof of citizenship in order to sponsor your wife and move to Canada.

weofikl

Jan 26, 2017
I just want to bump this thread to the haters. I haven't lived in Canada yet, but it's likely my child born abroad will become Canadian too with chain migration. Canada has only existed since 1950, so it's fair that it goes all the way back.

I wanted to clarify too about what matters. If a parent born abroad to a Canadian parent that can transmit has unlimited time to claim their and it is the same as if they did it at birth. 1977-1981 births lose at 28, but the new law will restore.

You know, this whole thing is infuriating, the posters who know it all, and those who gatekeep. I haven't had the time to register to vote, but rest assured I'm voting for as strict of immigration policy as possible and worldwide taxation. OCI citizens who go back to undercut Canadians should pay taxes from India.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I just want to bump this thread to the haters. I haven't lived in Canada yet, but it's likely my child born abroad will become Canadian too with chain migration. Canada has only existed since 1950, so it's fair that it goes all the way back.

I wanted to clarify too about what matters. If a parent born abroad to a Canadian parent that can transmit has unlimited time to claim their and it is the same as if they did it at birth. 1977-1981 births lose at 28, but the new law will restore.

You know, this whole thing is infuriating, the posters who know it all, and those who gatekeep. I haven't had the time to register to vote, but rest assured I'm voting for as strict of immigration policy as possible and worldwide taxation. OCI citizens who go back to undercut Canadians should pay taxes from India.
It's a good thing. Good that you are going to benefit. It will be interesting to see how they implement and it sounds like the assumption is that there will be a residency requirement (similar to the US) to pass on. But good again and hopefully there is an official update / decision soon so that people can apply.

weofikl

Jan 26, 2017
It's a good thing. Good that you are going to benefit. It will be interesting to see how they implement and it sounds like the assumption is that there will be a residency requirement (similar to the US) to pass on. But good again and hopefully there is an official update / decision soon so that people can apply.
I spoke to Marc Miller's office and a conservative senator's clerk. Child is going to be grandfathered as a citizen, the presence test is for those born after C-71 passes.

The Senate wants children who receive citizenship after their adoption is complete to be exempt from the substantial connection test. That is why it is held up from being fast tracked and there isn't unanimous consent. The conservatives might try to modify the duration or terms of the years of the presence test, but that's about it. It's basically going through committee and the 2nd reading now, even though it's not public what is going on or reported on. Expect them to blast through to the third reading and the Senate to rubber stamp.

Marc Miller has been posturing about asking for a stay. It seems more to be a bluff to pretend that they would try to stop it so conservatives can't score any points that liberals are just playing games. It also seems to be a two faceted bluff because they seem to be already for Royal assent last minute like everything else in parliament.

On camera yesterday after the day's session finished he opined if it lapsed Tuesday at midnight he would decide unilaterally who is a citizen and who isn't and that he didn't want to be bothered with that.

So the bill is going to only be broader for who is included, and possibly more restrictive on time spent in Canada and at what age the years count. It sounds much more like to pass as is with just the rider of adoption added.

No-one cares about your citizenship status. Relax and move on with your life. Reviving a thread from 2017 to score Internet points is kinda pointless.
Secede already troll.
Hahaha, you haven't got a clue... pathetic
You seem upset about people being correct about things. Are you trying to say Canada is a vassal of the USA and not really a country still? I might concur, but that's outside the scope of this discussion.

Oh boy, hope you sorted it out, because the guy you don't like is 80% in some betting markets to win.

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Secede already troll.
Yeah, sure, I'm the troll here.
Look, the bill is good news, and I welcome it, but you can't really say people were being "gatekeepers" years ago when there was no discussion about changing it, and there would be none today anyway if a court didn't force it on a government that wouldn't have done it on its own...
Congrats on your kid getting the citizenship soon tho.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
You seem upset about people being correct about things. Are you trying to say Canada is a vassal of the USA and not really a country still? I might concur, but that's outside the scope of this discussion.
You are delusional..sure Canada existed before 1950. Twat

weofikl

Jan 26, 2017
You are delusional..sure Canada existed before 1950. Twat
I'll give you 1931 if you want to pedantic, but you can also argue 1982 is when it stopped being a dominion. At this point, kind of with the 54.40 or fight people if independence means nothing. As an ethnic American I am just waiting to be liberated. If the USA struggles with unrest and breaks up, expect red states to passportize Canada and free Alberta and friends.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
I'll give you 1931 if you want to pedantic, but you can also argue 1982 is when it stopped being a dominion. At this point, kind of with the 54.40 or fight people if independence means nothing. As an ethnic American I am just waiting to be liberated. If the USA struggles with unrest and breaks up, expect red states to passportize Canada and free Alberta and friends.
You're American? Well that explains a lot.