+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

2023 PR Applications Timeline (Protected Persons & Refugees)

Florcita

Star Member
Feb 18, 2024
AOR Received.
27-10-2023
Work permit already renewed two days ago. Is it sure no need to renew SIN number?
Of course. Ask to somebody else or go to Service Canada if You want But I got renewal of work permit last dec and my SIN is the same. After become PR I Will change it.

Shiny12

Apr 19, 2023
Of course. Ask to somebody else or go to Service Canada if You want But I got renewal of work permit last dec and my SIN is the same. After become PR I Will change it.
The expiry date of the SIN should be renewed. The SIN number will stay the same.
So once you renewed your work permit you have to renew/update the expiry date of your SIN.

Hope this is clear.

Florcita

Star Member
Feb 18, 2024
AOR Received.
27-10-2023
The expiry date of the SIN should be renewed. The SIN number will stay the same.
So once you renewed your work permit you have to renew/update the expiry date of your SIN.

Hope this is clear.
It´s so weird because I went with an organization who helps immigrant and they helped me with the renewal of the worrk permit online. I wasnt clear that´s why I asked for help. And they told me I dont need to do renewal of the SIN. But it´s better to get help from trust sources so I suggest not only stay with what we say here. Get official advice. Maybe check in the canada.ca

Shiny12

Apr 19, 2023
It´s so weird because I went with an organization who helps immigrant and they helped me with the renewal of the worrk permit online. I wasnt clear that´s why I asked for help. And they told me I dont need to do renewal of the SIN. But it´s better to get help from trust sources so I suggest not only stay with what we say here. Get official advice. Maybe check in the canada.ca
Check your SIN number paper you received from Service Canada you will find the expiry date in bold and it match your previous work permit expiry date.

Then check the below link from canada.ca which clearly mentions that you have to update your expired SIN number

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/receiving-updating.html

Below is copied from the above link.

Your temporary SIN expires on the date provided in your immigration documents. You must ensure that both expiry dates match.

If you have applied for renewal of a work or study permit, and your permit expires before a decision is made, you have the right* to continue working or studying under the same conditions. You must remain in Canada during this time. This "maintained status" (previously called implied status) will remain until a decision is made by IRCC. This means you are allowed to work even though your SIN has expired. For more information about maintained status during processing, contact IRCC.

* As per paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

Once IRCC authorizes you to continue working in Canada, you must apply to Service Canada with your new immigration document to update the expiry date on your SIN record. The expiry date on both your SIN record and your immigration document must match.

Hope this helps.

Florcita

Star Member
Feb 18, 2024
AOR Received.
27-10-2023
Check your SIN number paper you received from Service Canada you will find the expiry date in bold and it match your previous work permit expiry date.

Then check the below link from canada.ca which clearly mentions that you have to update your expired SIN number

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/receiving-updating.html

Below is copied from the above link.

Your temporary SIN expires on the date provided in your immigration documents. You must ensure that both expiry dates match.

If you have applied for renewal of a work or study permit, and your permit expires before a decision is made, you have the right* to continue working or studying under the same conditions. You must remain in Canada during this time. This "maintained status" (previously called implied status) will remain until a decision is made by IRCC. This means you are allowed to work even though your SIN has expired. For more information about maintained status during processing, contact IRCC.

* As per paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations

Once IRCC authorizes you to continue working in Canada, you must apply to Service Canada with your new immigration document to update the expiry date on your SIN record. The expiry date on both your SIN record and your immigration document must match.

Hope this helps.

My SIN expires same date of my new work permit. If You have Service Canada account You can check that date. Should Match.

Florcita

Star Member
Feb 18, 2024
AOR Received.
27-10-2023
Then you are good.
It doesn't match by itself.
I updated by myself by submitting the update form online.
But as I told, I didnt up date it , maybe the system did by itself. Because I only made renewal for my work permit online.

Shiny12

Apr 19, 2023
But as I told, I didnt up date it , maybe the system did by itself. Because I only made renewal for my work permit online.
It doesn't updated for me. Maybe it's a system glitch or something else I am not sure!! This is why I updated by myself.