05-15-2012
Interview........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
VISA ISSUED...
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
LANDED..........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
kidvicious1 said:
YOU DO NOT need to post CSQ, they let CIC know automatically, you will hear from CIC soon I hope :)
Even though they do let CIC know automatically, the letter that came with the Selection Certificate said "Copy 3 is for Immigration Canada (should they require it)". I called MICC to ask what this meant and the person on the phone said that sometimes CIC asks for the CSQ.
So, you never know, do you?

jg84

Jan 29, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta [IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/vo0di9.png[/IMG]
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kidvicious1 said:
JG84 - How did you get driving license? I am British too but Quebec refuse to issue me one until I have PR card.
Hi kidvicious1, I'm on the international experience canada visa / open work permit. As soon as I got it, I made an appointment to swap my UK licence for a Quebec one. You need the UK card and the counterpart. One thing to know is, Quebec do not keep your UK licence, unlike other provinces. So you have 2 licenses. Honestly the person on the phone who I made the appointment with and the person who issued it didn't mention anything about having to be PR.

I have read the Quebec websites and as I understand it is, you can drive for 6 months on the UK driving licence. After 6 months you can either get an international licence or exchange your UK licence. I think the PR thing is for people who do not have open work permits for more than 6 months. I would try and make an appointment to swap if your on a work permit. If you live in Montreal I could tell you which one I went to.

You don't need much, passport, driving licence and the fee. I think it is about $80 as long as you have held the UK one for more than 2 years. Otherwise they put you on a provisonal - less points allowed and costs more. Plus when you are eligible for the full licence, there is a cost for that also.

Finally there are no tests you need to do. They take a picture, photocopy a few things, pay the fee and thats it.

My Quebec Licence started on 2011, November, 11th, I've had it a while.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660245 The British person on this thread also got their Quebec licence swapped on a temporary work permit.

*btw If you wait to get PR, then get the Quebec Licence, the Quebec website says you only need the PR paper, you do not need the PR card to get it.

lyn28

Star Member
Aug 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2011
AOR Received.
04-02-2012
Med's Request
31-08-2012
Med's Done....
31-08-2012/Oct 13, 2012 on ecas
Interview........
06-12-2012
LANDED..........
06-12-2012
Chickadee said:
I just called MICC and received good news: we have been accepted and our CSQ is in the mail. Yay!!!! 8) ;D :p ???

Update: we just received the Certificate. :-*
yahoo! finally! i hope you'll receive aip soon! :)

Chickadee

Jul 8, 2012
South Carolina, United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-16-2012
AOR Received.
09-18-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
05-15-2012
Interview........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
VISA ISSUED...
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
LANDED..........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
lyn28 said:
yahoo! finally! i hope you'll receive aip soon! :)
Thank you! I hope so too!!!

kidvicious1

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/06/2012
AOR Received.
12/10/2012
Med's Request
14/12/2012 AIP
Med's Done....
12/04/2012 Re-done Jan 2012
Interview........
24/05/2013
LANDED..........
24/05/2013
Thanks Jg ! I guess the people I spoke to (in Granby) don't get a lot of license swaps or something. I'll try office near Montreal...

sbea026

Feb 3, 2013
Quebec
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/reach_us/phone/exchange_licence.php

I rang them and organiized to exchange my NZ licence a few months ago easily sorted. The fun thing for me was that Unlike Uk licenses which allow driving in Europe i.e. on the Right, I was lucky enough to get to take the theory and practical tests.

jg84

Jan 29, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kidvicious1 said:
Thanks Jg ! I guess the people I spoke to (in Granby) don't get a lot of license swaps or something. I'll try office near Montreal...
Hopefully you have better luck this time. To be honest though the website doesn't really make it clear.

The SAAQ have 3 websites on exchanging a driving licence and they do not not make the process clear.

This seems to clear things up a bit - Another site decoding what Quebec were trying to say...
You will need Canadian Citizenship or your immigration documents / Québec Selection Certificate, and proof of residency in Québec (ie. a hydro or telephone bill indicating your Québec address.

So your Student / Work Permit or Quebec Selection Certificate should be fine.

vinlander

Dec 11, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2011
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
AOR Received.
21-02-2012
Med's Request
Done before request
Med's Done....
25-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012 OWP + AIP
LANDED..........
27-11-2012
Visitor cannot have a driving license exchange but with an OWP it is fine (gives a temporary resident status).
However it can take 2 months to get an appointment..depending where you are (we were at the Henri Bourrassa Office in MTL).
Take note a flat lease contract or "bail" is not accepted at SAAQ for proof of residency while RAMQ accepted and even took a copy of it (even if it says reproduction is forbidden on it :p.
However the CSQ served as a proof of residency even if no address is displayed on it (bring the original, we had to go back the following day since we had only brought a copy of it..­.

Chickadee

Jul 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-16-2012
AOR Received.
09-18-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
05-15-2012
Interview........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
VISA ISSUED...
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
LANDED..........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
vinlander said:
Visitor cannot have a driving license exchange but with an OWP it is fine (gives a temporary resident status).
However it can take 2 months to get an appointment..dependnaing where you are (we were at the Henri Bourrassa Office in MTL).
Take note a flat lease contract or "bail" is not accepted at SAAQ for proof of residency while RAMQ accepted and even took a copy of it (even if it says reproduction is forbidden on it :p.
However the CSQ served as a proof of residency even if no address is displayed on it (bring the original, we had to go back the following day since we had only brought a copy of it..­.
We have our CSQ, but are waiting until we have our AIP before we go to RAMQ.
How long does it take to get AIP, on average?

vinlander

Dec 11, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2011
Doc's Request.
21-02-2012
AOR Received.
21-02-2012
Med's Request
Done before request
Med's Done....
25-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012 OWP + AIP
LANDED..........
27-11-2012
Chickadee said:
We have our CSQ, but are waiting until we have our AIP before we go to RAMQ.
How long does it take to get AIP, on average?
At the time we did our application back in late 2011, it was still taking 10-11 months on average; since 2012, it is usually faster, some got it in 5 to 6 months but these are only average and could differ based on each case.

Chickadee

Jul 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-16-2012
AOR Received.
09-18-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
05-15-2012
Interview........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
VISA ISSUED...
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
LANDED..........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
vinlander said:
At the time we did our application back in late 2011, it was still taking 10-11 months on average; since 2012, it is usually faster, some got it in 5 to 6 months but these are only average and could differ based on each case.
Thanks, Vinlander. :)
I guess we should not get too crazy checking on the mail every day and being disappointed when it is not there. We will just sit tight and enjoy the rest of our life 8)

jg84

Jan 29, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know you probably shouldn't but I try to work out how the CIC are doing things by looking at the facts.

Like how quickly it should take to process your file.

1. The one thing we do know is the CIC process the sponsorship on their side and then pass you off to Quebec for the CSQ.

2. It seems to be that the CIC leave your file in a position, so as soon as they receive the CSQ, they can send you a request to send something or the approval in principal. It is just the time for them to receive the CSQ and open it, process and send out the approval. (The cic advised that it could be up to 1 month for them to get the CSQ from the MICC).

3. The call centre said that they are sending approval notices for applications sent on the 7th August 2012. So any applications sent before and up to this date should be processed first. (As in request something or send approval).

4. Even though ecas only shows 'received' for my application, I know that it shows my medical on their system but it does not show my police certificate even though I sent it with my application. So for me the cic should just have the police certificate and background check left to go for my file. (I just hope they do not request the police certificate again).

6. I have previously had the background checks and police certificate checked for my open work permit, I have no records etc. So there is nothing to check...

7. Finally I chose the option for them to continue processing my file for permanent resident if I get rejected for sponsorship, (so that should speed things up a bit).

So My Conclusion is:

I believe that my case should be easy, they are checking exactly the same as what has already been checked. As long as they don't request me to redo my police certificate (they shouldn't as it was done within 3 months of sending the application) or a Canadian Police Check. I have also lived with my fiancee for over 5 years.

I believe I should get the AIP either this month or next month. I also believe that the Decision made could be within 2 months.

Although my AIP maybe processed a bit later than other people on the forum because I applied at a later date - we will see.

Chickadee

Jul 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-16-2012
AOR Received.
09-18-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
05-15-2012
Interview........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
VISA ISSUED...
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
LANDED..........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
I certainly like your positive attitude, Jg84!
Thanks for taking the time to explain everything; it is very useful, and gives us hope.

The only part of your logic that I do not quite follow, is the following:

7. Finally I chose the option for them to continue processing my file for permanent resident if I get rejected for sponsorship, (so they should speed things up a bit).
How can they continue processing your file for permanent resident if the sponsorship is rejected? Is that even possible?

jg84

Jan 29, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chickadee said:
I certainly like your positive attitude, Jg84!
Thanks for taking the time to explain everything; it is very useful, and gives us hope.

The only part of your logic that I do not quite follow, is the following:

How can they continue processing your file for permanent resident if the sponsorship is rejected? Is that even possible?
Well I am glad about giving people hope :)

On the form - Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking [IMM 1344]

Question 1

If you are found ineligible to sponsor, indicate whether you want to:

1. Withdraw your sponsorship application. All processing fees less $75 will be refunded.
2. Proceed with the application for permanent residence. Processing fees will be retained.

I chose option 2. Which did you choose?

I have read on the forum quite a lot that people believe (because of time taken), that the cic carry on processing your file for permanent resident, while you wait for the CSQ.

- As the CIC know you will be carrying on with the application, instead of putting it on hold, they carry on with doing the background check, police certificate, medical check and that helps to speed up the processing of your file.

Chickadee

Jul 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-16-2012
AOR Received.
09-18-2012
Med's Request
Sent with Application
Med's Done....
05-15-2012
Interview........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
VISA ISSUED...
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
LANDED..........
[color=#FF0000]Never!!!
jg84 said:
Well I am glad about giving people hope :)

On the form - Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking [IMM 1344]

Question 1

If you are found ineligible to sponsor, indicate whether you want to:

1. Withdraw your sponsorship application. All processing fees less $75 will be refunded.
2. Proceed with the application for permanent residence. Processing fees will be retained.

I chose option 2. Which did you choose?

I have read on the forum quite a lot that people believe (because of time taken), that the cic carry on processing your file for permanent resident, while you wait for the CSQ.

- As the CIC know you will be carrying on with the application, instead of putting it on hold, they carry on with doing the background check, police certificate, medical check and that helps to speed up the processing of your file.
Oh! I see what you mean. Unfortunately, I chose option 1.
Let's hope that this does not set us back any more than we already are. :'(

We are already behind schedule by more than 2 months, because the invitation to proceed with MICC which was sent by CIC got lost in the mail, and it took them many weeks to send us a new copy.

The invitation was originally sent on October 31st, and we ended up receiving it on January 10th.