Med's Request
May-2016
Med's Done....
May-2016
Passport Req..
June-2016
VISA ISSUED...
July-2016
The statement you posted is correct, in fact it is common sense, nay necessary, to ensure you have the visa of the country you're about to visit.
That said, I take it that you didn't look up flagpoling. I did and here are some results:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/my-landing-experience-at-peace-bridge-fort-erie-t152323.0.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t163868.0.html

You'll find tons of posts talking in detail about what's it like. Here's the jist of it:
You drive to the US, essentially get turned around i.e. not actually enter US but by attempting to do so you've left Canada and fulfilled the requirement of leaving the country. 1000s of people do it every year, I did it myself and pretty much everyone else I know who became a PR from within Canada.

john_hey said:
"Note: You must leave Canada, enter another country and re-enter Canada to become a permanent resident at an international airport or Canadian land border. If you need a visa to enter another country before you re-enter Canada, it is up to you to get the visa." (from CIC link)

if you are not from visa exempt countries for US (not Canada), how do you enter to US?
unless I am missing something here.

ravi@yahoo

Star Member
Apr 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July2015
AOR Received.
Oct 2015
File Transfer...
Dec2016
Med's Request
January 2017
Med's Done....
January 2017
Passport Req..
27February 2017
VISA ISSUED...
3 March 2017
LANDED..........
Yes....
Anyone got approval with sibling . thanks

soonihope

Champion Member
May 18, 2013
john_hey said:
"Note: You must leave Canada, enter another country and re-enter Canada to become a permanent resident at an international airport or Canadian land border. If you need a visa to enter another country before you re-enter Canada, it is up to you to get the visa." (from CIC link)

if you are not from visa exempt countries for US (not Canada), how do you enter to US?
unless I am missing something here.
You get an "administrative refusal slip" from the US side if you can't enter US and just come back into Canada and activate PR status.

RoyalNS

Star Member
Jan 4, 2014
winnipegmb said:
The statement you posted is correct, in fact it is common sense, nay necessary, to ensure you have the visa of the country you're about to visit.
That said, I take it that you didn't look up flagpoling. I did and here are some results:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/my-landing-experience-at-peace-bridge-fort-erie-t152323.0.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t163868.0.html

You'll find tons of posts talking in detail about what's it like. Here's the jist of it:
You drive to the US, essentially get turned around i.e. not actually enter US but by attempting to do so you've left Canada and fulfilled the requirement of leaving the country. 1000s of people do it every year, I did it myself and pretty much everyone else I know who became a PR from within Canada.
I 100% agree with you. I did it same way from NB and Maine border. There is a small bridge we had to cross and come back which is no mans land. I did not have any USA visa or never talked to USA immigration. Just came back to Canada side and they ask did you left Canada and came back and I said yes. Thats how I landed.
One of my friend actually went to US Immigration and they gave him a memo (refusal slip) that he was refused to enter and he showed that as a proof they he left Canada and Canada Immigration accepted it . Either was you do not need USA visa to land.

kcdasoju

Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2011
Doc's Request.
26-10-2015
AOR Received.
24-02-2016
File Transfer...
07-07-2016
Med's Request
20-12-2016
Med's Done....
31-12-2016
dyan29 said:
Hi everyone.
I'd like to find out if there's anyone who can shed some light on my situation.
I received an email from CIC that my application to sponsor has been approved and file was now sent to CPC Ottawa. I think it was sent there and not to Manila because at the time they asked for additional documents I mentioned my parents are here on a Supervisa. At present, they are in Manila because one of my brothers got married.
1.Does anyone know how long it takes for the request to have medical done etc.
2.Can they do the medical in the Philippines OR should I have them do it here? Would there be any issue either way?

Timeline:
Submitted App to Sponsor: 2011 NOV
Additional Docs Required: 2015 JUL
Additional Docs Submitted: 2015 OCT
Processing Started: 2016 JAN
Approved as Sponsor: 2016 APR

I'd greatly appreciate any insight and goodluck to everyone. I know its been such a long and rigorous process and praying we'd finally get reunited with our parents soon :)
You are really lucky, and happy for you to have your case approved
I have applied in Sep 2011, submitted Additional documents on 25th Nov 2015, and received Acknowledgement on 24th Feb 2016,
As of today they haven’t placed my application in the processing Queue yet, this is based on conversation with call center operator at CIC and GCMS notes

dyan29

Star Member
Jan 25, 2012
kcdasoju said:
You are really lucky, and happy for you to have your case approved
I have applied in Sep 2011, submitted Additional documents on 25th Nov 2015, and received Acknowledgement on 24th Feb 2016,
As of today they haven’t placed my application in the processing Queue yet, this is based on conversation with call center operator at CIC and GCMS notes my
medic
Thank you! I was so happy when I got the email. God willing everything will continue to go smoothly from here. I wish you good luck on your application and hope it gets processed soon and you get your approval as well.

Btw, I re-read the email and it actually mentioned "the visa office selected is based on your relatives home address and the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Do you guys think there would be an issue with this since my parents are back home? I also saw someones timeline where they sent passport to Ottawa and after only 2 weeks, they got them back. I worry doing the medical and passport submission in Manila would take longer. Ugh.. I'm so restless. Sorry if I keep asking seemingly the same questions. lol

kcdasoju

Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2011
Doc's Request.
26-10-2015
AOR Received.
24-02-2016
File Transfer...
07-07-2016
Med's Request
20-12-2016
Med's Done....
31-12-2016
dyan29 said:
Thank you! I was so happy when I got the email. God willing everything will continue to go smoothly from here. I wish you good luck on your application and hope it gets processed soon and you get your approval as well.

Btw, I re-read the email and it actually mentioned "the visa office selected is based on your relatives home address and the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Do you guys think there would be an issue with this since my parents are back home? I also saw someones timeline where they sent passport to Ottawa and after only 2 weeks, they got them back. I worry doing the medical and passport submission in Manila would take longer. Ugh.. I'm so restless. Sorry if I keep asking seemingly the same questions. lol
i have no idea about your question. best thing it to call CIC

pgp2011

Mar 16, 2016
When they transfer applications to Ottawa vs. LVO, they look at home address, and the requirements of the IRP Act. Even though your parents had home address in the application, the file was transferred to Ottawa based on the IRP Act. Basically applications can be transferred to Ottawa even if the parents have never been to Canada (except there shouldn't be any dependents in the application for it to be transferred to Ottawa). Medical request will come from Ottawa. Passport can be stamped either in Ottawa or in Manila depending on where your parents are at the time.

dyan29 said:

enihpesoj9

Feb 24, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 2011
Doc's Request.
August 2015
AOR Received.
December 2015
File Transfer...
April 2016
Med's Request
June 2016
Med's Done....
June 2016
@dyan29
My mom was here on a visitor visa. She went home last year in August. She stayed here for approximately two years. I received email approval last week. I'm so glad that they sent it in Ottawa instead of Philippines. I hear the processing here is faster. My mom will just wait in the Philippines for her papers.

dyan29

Star Member
Jan 25, 2012
enihpesoj9 said:
@dyan29
My mom was here on a visitor visa. She went home last year in August. She stayed here for approximately two years. I received email approval last week. I'm so glad that they sent it in Ottawa instead of Philippines. I hear the processing here is faster. My mom will just wait in the Philippines for her papers.
Awesome! Hopefully we get an email re: medical soon. I don't remember providing an email address for my parents..so i'll just have to wait I guess or call CIC if in a month I don't hear anything :)

@Fel is your mom currently in Canada? Your timeline after the approval went by really fast. i'm concerned about medical in the Philippines - Having experienced doing medical here vs back home is night and day. The last time my mom had to do medical she almost passed out due to the very long queue plus it's a common knowledge how clinics sometimes make you repeat tests and you have to pay each time, not sure if for legit reason or a money making scheme

dyan29

Star Member
Jan 25, 2012
pgp2011 said:
When they transfer applications to Ottawa vs. LVO, they look at home address, and the requirements of the IRP Act. Even though your parents had home address in the application, the file was transferred to Ottawa based on the IRP Act. Basically applications can be transferred to Ottawa even if the parents have never been to Canada (except there shouldn't be any dependents in the application for it to be transferred to Ottawa). Medical request will come from Ottawa. Passport can be stamped either in Ottawa or in Manila depending on where your parents are at the time.
thanks @pgp2011.
i tend to overthink things sometimes, so thank you for this

Fel

Aug 28, 2015
Hi guys ,

Just got an email from CIC that my mom file is finalized and they are sending PR by mail back.
It took only one day for CIC Ottawa to issue PR.

kiwi2016

Star Member
Jan 28, 2016
Fel said:
Hi guys ,

Just got an email from CIC that my mom file is finalized and they are sending PR by mail back.
It took only one day for CIC Ottawa to issue PR.
Hi Fel, just curious, where was her file sent after sponsorship approval? and when did you apply?

Thanks and congrats!!